• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Props to Killington for pulling the season passes of 3 "sponsored" skiers

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Word on the street here is that upon learning of 3 yahoos who posted helmet cam vid of themselves speeding thru the slow zones on K's WROD and tagged their ski company in their posts, the CEO made the call to pull their passes for the 23/24 season.

#respect

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the video has been taken down, but it was pretty egregious. Skiing 40+mph on a crowded WROD on opening day and blasting past "Slow" signs at 30mph (one of which was at the intersection of the run and a cat track with skiers moving slowly across the cat track). No super close calls, but there was a constant potential for a bad collision for the duration of the run.

What made it worse was that the guy filming the POV footage is clearly a terrible skier. You could see his shadow for a lot of the video, and he was massively in the back seat for the entire run, and quasi-straightlined pretty much the whole thing while barely in control. There's no way he was going to be able to avoid a skier ahead of him if they did anything other than exactly what he was expecting / hoping they'd do.

They definitely deserved to have their passes pulled. Hopefully for the season. I just hope they don't relocate to my home mountain.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So who was it? Associated manufacturer?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
uhhh…. 40 mph is really not fast…. :)

That's not fast, not compared to ski racers. I merely meant that skiers need to read the room before they charge down a bill. There were too many people on the hill for them to be going they speed they were going. Just because someone is going "fast" and bombing down the mountain doesn't alone make them good skiers. I would have been a lot less worried the other day if Mikaela Shiffrin was the one going fast through the crowds. The clowns in the video were reckless.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow good for Killington for following through with the pulled ski passes. As a long time ski racing coach (part-time as I have a real job) out of control maniacs give our sport a bad name. At 40 mph they could have easily run someone into a tree and cause a terrible fatality. Again kudos to Killington!!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, there ya go!
I wish I could see a link to what actually happened but evidently the culprits are pretending or hoping it didn't happen ;)....in the eyes of the public.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So who was it? Associated manufacturer?
They tagged Parlor skis in the post and I read something that said the skiers were “sponsored” by them.

Based on that video, it has to be a case of the filmer being someone at Parlor’s buddy and they throw him an occasional pair of skis. The guy is a legitimately terrible skier.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They tagged Parlor skis in the post and I read something that said the skiers were “sponsored” by them.

Based on that video, it has to be a case of the filmer being someone at Parlor’s buddy and they throw him an occasional pair of skis. The guy is a legitimately terrible skier.
Interesting... we just spent time chatting with the guys at Parlor at Snowbound.
This does not seem like something that they will find amusing and the cohorts have likely lost their hookup

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s the post from Killington’s GM.

IMG_2314.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
uhhh…. 40 mph is really not fast…. :)
Well see, tongue-in-cheek or not, you may be illustrating part of the problem. It's not THAT fast... I have skied quite a bit faster as a lot of people here have I'm sure.

But a collision at 40 MPH is enough to possibly kill someone - much less all the other injuries that could occur. People don't realize what kind of impact they could have at the speeds they usually ski.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah yes. I snooped around and saw who it was. Those guys are very very active on social media. Very much the embodiment of “doing it for the ‘gram”

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
What’s fast for one person is often slow for another, and vice versa. How slow is “slow” and does the amount of “slow” depend upon one’s ability and/or slope conditions? When you see a “slow sign” is it ok to let up a little or do you need to come to a near stop? It’s hard to enforce “slow”.

Sponsor