• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill Proper warmup for skiing

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi all,

I wonder how instructors and coaches approach warmup. I normally take a run on a gentle groomer to get going, and then I head to the fun, more challenging places. But I am sure there is more to it. I used to see ski youth racing teams warm up on the slide side at Mt Rose, and the warmup was very structured. Any good tips for a proper warmup for civilians?

Part of the motivation for me to bring this up is the comparison of two recent ski days, with and without warmup, same place, similar conditions ... night and day in terms of endurance during the day and recovery! Duh, as expected :doh:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No warm ups on a powder day?

I usually do some stretches in the morning like I do every day. Otherwise we go wherever we are going which might include a mild groomer. Maybe a better warm up would be good.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Like you I do a run on a green. At the same time, I do some mobility drills. Bouncing, looking at fore and aft balance, move the arm and torso. This all comes from a CSIA seminar years ago with Rob Butler.

If I'm at Tremblant its - Petit Bonheur to Beauchemin. The up the Expo chair to see what Griffe looks like. From the top of the Expo chair you can see the whole north side trails. Day gets planned.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

I mean in my case, I decided to skip a warm up lap because only KT was running at the lower mountain, so I just came down under the chair, which was safe but it was heavy slush and I think my legs immediately were put to real use, after 3 hours of driving. In retrospect, I should have come down the chicken out way, towards the saddle, and put up with mountain run!

At the same time, I do some mobility drills. Bouncing, looking at fore and aft balance, move the arm and torso

Brilliant, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll do that, maybe add thousand steps, some javelins, etc - thank you!

James

Out There
Instructor
Afaict, people here warm up by showing how they ski one notch down from the most difficult trail of the day. Those not warming up just get to it so they’re ready for the bad idea hour.

One advantage of having to walk to the lodge- it’s a warmup.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One advantage of having to walk to the lodge- it’s a warmup
A walk is good but I usually skip the morning walk when it’s -10 degrees. So the mandatory dog walk is a good idea.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
but it was heavy slush and I think my legs immediately were put to real use, after 3 hours of driving. In retrospect
I was going to get into that. Even the long drive the night before can make for a slow start.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I used to see ski youth racing teams warm up on the slide side at Mt Rose, and the warmup was very structured. Any good tips for a proper warmup for civilians?
A 'real' warmup would be done without skis on. If you are doing a warm up, you should ride the lift to the top, then do the exercises at the top of the run, then ski down. I mostly see (very few) people warming up at the base (probably while waiting for a buddy), then they ride the lift. I don't think I have ever seen a 'civilian' do a warmup with their skis off at the top of a run, unless it was part of some lesson/clinic/camp. I have only done a proper skiing warmup a handful of times as part of mogul ski lessons with "Momentum" camp. They are an oddball though and think of skiing as an athletic activity. Most lessons I take, skiing is viewed as recreational and if you are breathing hard, you are doing it wrong.

So 'proper' and what so few actually do ... there's a huge gulf. Most 'civilians' are skiing for fun, not trying to eek out maximum performance. So they'd rather just do a warmup run that is easy but gets the blood pumping. Plus they are 'skiing' more and having fun instead of doing something more effective like 3x circuit of 10 push ups, 10 lunges, 10 squats, 5 burpees.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I typically do 25-30 minutes of PT exercises and stretching at home (or at whatever accommodations I’m staying at when traveling), plus a some warm up stretching/movement at the base of the resort after booting up. The first run is a moderate pace, often a few drills I like for the first run or two.

Then, commence with “ripping it up.”

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I drive 3 hours straight then try not to destroy my defective back bending down to buckle my boots. If I can get past that I'm good to go for the rest of the day.

Seriously though 30-45 seconds of light stretching after clicking in but before pointing them downhill.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
First run will see doing a few falling leafs to pivot slips and progressively adding edges into short turns in a corridor. In the runout often play with edge drills or something. That same run normally gets a short section of bumps just to see if I remember anything (normally not). 2nd run puts me on the beginners chair to see where I'll probably spend my morning

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stretching at home, with foam roller if I have one with me. Boot up and ride the lift to the top. Skis off and do some dynamic stretching, i.e., leg swings, squats, lunges. Skis on and drills for the first run or two, i.e., falling leafs, steps, garlands, javelins. Good to go. Or, depending on the day, take two Advil, rub in some icy hot, and hope for the best.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I don't warm up as religiously as I'd like but I'm getting better about it. At the top of the lift, I'll do some stretching (quads, hammy's, and hip flexors), progress to some hip mobility work, then finish it off with a few push ups to warm up the upper body as well. I often ask my clients to join me. Most refuse the pushups and many want nothing to do with the rest of it as well. I tell them that skiing is an athletic activity and a warmed up body is essential to ski at the highest level. I'll then start with a structured run on a groomer, first some basic parallel turns, perhaps some wedge turns, some outside ski turns and or stork turns, perhaps some javelins. Then I'm ready to start skiing and work on whatever that day. The warmup tunes me into what's going on in my body, what the state of the snow is, and how my skis are interacting with the snow.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I
I don't warm up as religiously as I'd like but I'm getting better about it. At the top of the lift, I'll do some stretching (quads, hammy's, and hip flexors), progress to some hip mobility work, then finish it off with a few push ups to warm up the upper body as well. I often ask my clients to join me. Most refuse the pushups and many want nothing to do with the rest of it as well. I tell them that skiing is an athletic activity and a warmed up body is essential to ski at the highest level.
We should do all that as a group at the next Gathering ;)

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I try to start on very easy trails. Not always possible this winter when trying to get a run in with my boy before his racing program started.

What sometimes happens is we skate around a bit at the base area - sometimes to get to particular lift or just fooling around waiting for other people. That is very good for warming up.

On rare occasions I do some hip mobility movements before skiing - either in my boots while waiting around waiting for people (though I more usually get onto skis and skate in circles waiting; see above). Or sometimes in the morning before heading to the hill.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I do my warm-up at home & it is usually 20 to 40 minutes of poses, foam roller and finish with sit-ups & chinning bar. Up until I was about 50yo I would often do an early morning 3 or 4 mile run before work but eventually decided I needed that energy for the good stuff.
If it is a day of questionable conditions I might ski a groomer at 70 or 80% but most days I’m full tilt from the get go.
You wanna see a real warm-up, just watch the World Cup racers at the top of the course especially Marcel Hirscher! I used to wonder how he had enough energy left to ski down the hill let alone race & win. At the other end Shiffrin would often nap before her run. It does seem that most have upped their pre-race routines in recent years. It is rumored that Bode Miller could get his BPM over 200 just standing in the start!

^This for sure except clearing enough snow to get out of the driveway & the skate race to the lift line^

One advantage of having to walk to the lodge- it’s a warmup.
l’ve been skiing Alpine Meadows the last couple of weeks & was commenting on the built in stair master warm up they provide just to get to the base of the Summit lift. :geek:

Last edited:

Sponsor