• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pow Ski Ideas

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
that new Bodacious should work well they still have metal in them as well.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Scott from ON3P here. Unfortunately, we just found out that we likely won't be allowed to demo at Meadows on Sunday. As we are not sold in their retail store, we are normally only allowed to demo at their big demo days (2x per year). This year, though, I guess they are sitting on a lot of inventory so only brands they carry are being allowed to demo. This isn't that abnormal - I would guess we get turned down for demo days maybe 1/3 of the time for this reason, but as it is our home mountain, obviously a bit bummed. We will be at Hoodoo on Saturday, though. We did send out a bit of a hail mary/bribe to see if maybe we can still attend, so if we are allowed to be there on Sunday, we will be.

Will you post something somewhere if you do attend? I was really looking forward to trying the Wrenegade 88.

iggyskier

Booting up
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Will you post something somewhere if you do attend? I was really looking forward to trying the Wrenegade 88.

Will do. If you are able to swing by/ski midweek at all, too, you are welcomed to demo a pair direct from the factory. Right now we have weekend demos planned out through 4/10. We haven't received any reply back on the demo day, so my guess is that we will not be in attendance. Hopefully we can make it back next fall.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott from ON3P here. Unfortunately, we just found out that we likely won't be allowed to demo at Meadows on Sunday.

As for the Bodacious - the BG is a pretty difference ski from the Bodacious, even though they are often compared. As with anything, best to try and take them up sometime. Thanks!

Thanks for chiming in, Scott! No worries on the demo day for me, since my ticket only works M - F anyway. I was perusing your website, and looking at profiles, and I find the Wrenegade 112 very interesting, due to its lesser tail rocker. Maybe you can contrast the two?

At the OP's size, I'd look for a close out on a pre 15-16 186 Blizzard Bodacious. Yes I confess. I love this ski. Had mine out this past Monday and Tuesday, and it was right back to a mad affair after a pretty much season long absence. I was going to replace them with this season's but just couldn't feel the need. Still haven't skied anything in the big category I like better, and if it's good for me, it must be good for everyone else.
:popcorn:

Appreciate the input. The Bodacious is VERY interesting to me. Tough to find any significant discounts at this point, but I have time. You're in the PNW also, IIRC, so how is the tip dive and or tip planing in deeper snow?

If nordica made an El Capo that was 10-15mm wider I would recommend that.

Agreed. I'd already own it.

Thanks, all!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
that new Bodacious should work well they still have metal in them as well.

Josh, they don't. That said, they're a very nice ski as well. I just have an odd emotional attachment to my old ones. 13-14's can be had in the wrapper for $300.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Appreciating all the thoughts so far.

It would also be great to hear from some of PugSki's esteemed ski testers if they are so inclined (@Drahtguy Kevin, @FairToMiddlin, @Ron, etc.).

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My go-to powder ski is a 193 Patron. I see some of the same issues as others with the Patron but just accept them, I guess. I also concur about the Bodacious. It is a killer ski and a lot of ski. I feel the Patron to be more versatile. All that said, I've been finding myself going narrower lately. @Josh Matta is spot on with his thoughts on the El Capo. What a tremendous ski gone too soon.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
although I get the trailing tech thing but a really fun ski for next season is the Atomic Backland 109. No love for a cochise?

I tend to agree with @SBrown on this though; your powder experience is really different from our Colorado experience. I also am in the same camp as @Drahtguy Kevin as far as going narrower. My go to powder ski (for days with at least 8") is the Stockli SR107. I am quite happy though on anything around 100.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1. The K2 120 Pettitor (189, pull length 191). Best chop/powder/resort ski I've been on. Lacks a very small bit in pure float, but not much, especially on steeps or in trees. A one ski quiver. Con: relatively heavy, though still light.

Please try, but not mounted at zero or near that, or at the +5 that Blistergear tried on steeps. (I've skied it best at +3 to + 4 on steeps.) Please mount with Schizos - or experiment on demos as a must (or at least mount +3 to +4).
This ski works for 140 lbs up to at least 200 lbs., in the hands of folks I've skied with.

2. @ARL67 's friends, Katana 112 VWK 191, since you're bigger than me (150 lbs, 5'10).
Con: The only slight question is whether even the longer ski will be wide enough at your size. I'd guess it would be.
If you were twenty or more pounds heavier, maybe not. It would work then, but maybe be lacking in float.

The shorter 184 Katana, my main powder ski this year because of injuries, is wonderful everywhere so far (steeps, crud, chop, low angles, fast in trees, floats well), great this past week. Damper with more float than the Volkl 100eight. And great on groomers too. The Katana kills chop/crud (though not quite as well as the previous crud champ, the older, heavy Katana, which doesn't have good float and has a definite speed limit, around 40). This ski works as a one ski quiver killer. (Blistergear gives it top grades in its accurate review.)

Pertaining to your lower angle slopes, Rosie's Run and the runs near it at Copper have rolling terrain, flats to moderate angles I often avoid on deep days. The Katana has enough float for such low and varied slopes, for me.

The big difference between it and the Shiro, to me, is it is better in bumps and trees (quick and damp). And less work.

3. ON3P Billy Goats 116/currently 191, 186. (Different lengths in different years?) I agree with the other great reviews of the Billy Goat 116, rather than the Blistergear review. And I skied the new Bodacious and liked it, this season. But liked the Billy Goat much more. A rare miss for Blister. Bulls eye for ON3P.

I demoed the new Bodacious and the Billy Goat a few weeks apart at Loveland. The new Bodacious, for me, is still very traditional; lots of edgehold, but for me it deflects in fast chop/mixed, along the front edge and tip if I crank it hard or on edge. So I have to be careful and centered with it. Also, not as versatile in bumps and tight places: more of a longer turn feel.

Not so the Billy Goat, no deflection no matter how bold you are, very versatile in turn shape, and not squirrelly either, like some shorter radius fat skis. To me a better ski in every way - but not traditional feel - a bit unusual. (I'm high school race background, but it still works on edge well for me; and you can drive it or not, your choice.) It has an unusual reverse radius sidecut angle near the tip of the ski that makes it killer in bumps and trees, even though it rails big turns on groomers, if desired. What a great 3D and all around ski!!!!

Others: (esp. ones great in float and crud both):
1. Moment Bibby/Blister Pro 116/184/190. Based only on reviews - want to try.

For reference:
My favorite skis are the fat ones; and gs race skis. So I've demoed fat ones.
Also, for resorts, I prefer balance of great float and good in chop/crud, good in soft bumps, and good on groomers as a bonus.
But I'm light weight, so I've tried to adjust what I'd recommend to that.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ski otter 2, kudos, thanks, etc. for the big, detailed response! I need to get on a pair of BGs and possibly Wrenegade 112s. With the factory only 60 miles away, it seems reasonable.

Like you, I would REALLY like to try the Blister Pro, but that seems pretty much not possible.

You liked, but did not love, this year's Bodacious, which is on my radar. Have you skied last year's version? There is no shortage of folks that seem to prefer that version.

Thanks again.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
although I get the trailing tech thing but a really fun ski for next season is the Atomic Backland 109. No love for a cochise?

I tend to agree with @SBrown on this though; your powder experience is really different from our Colorado experience. I also am in the same camp as @Drahtguy Kevin as far as going narrower. My go to powder ski (for days with at least 8") is the Stockli SR107. I am quite happy though on anything around 100.

In general for the PNW, narrower works just fine (daily driver is an 88 lablled as an 85) as well, but when it dumps, having a secret weapon in the closet is really fun. I've said before and will repeat, I like Blizzard's offerings at either end of the width scale much more than the middle ground. The Bodacious is a fat ski that doesn't get kicked around in chop, and has good edge grip. It can arc and go sideways.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, I was skiing with @Lorenzzo who was on the DPS Wailer 112 ad we both agreed that for a ski that is a few years old, it is still a great ski and has fallen off the radar for quite a few people. I am sure there some used ones or NOS (New Old Stock) that can be had reasonably. Patrons haven't changed other than graphics, they can be had too.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug, I own the Patron in 193, which I like a lot, but do not love, primarily because of the tail. Right or wrong, I just don't seem to like any ski with much tail rocker. Even if it works "better" I don't care a lot for the feel of turn completion -- or lack thereof.

So, tip rocker plus flat-ish tail is the current Holy Grail. Current thoughts seem to be vectoring in on the Bodacious and K2 Pinnacle 118. Haven't owned a K2 in a long time, but that is all I skied from age 9 to 39......

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, I was skiing with @Lorenzzo who was on the DPS Wailer 112 ad we both agreed that for a ski that is a few years old, it is still a great ski and has fallen off the radar for quite a few people. I am sure there some used ones or NOS (New Old Stock) that can be had reasonably. Patrons haven't changed other than graphics, they can be had too.
I hear you Tom as to rocker. I spend a lot of time on race skis and in most conditions I've been pleased with turn completion on the DPS. They won't be confused with race skis but I wouldn't like something that wasn't capable carving. Overall a very fun, capable soft snow ski. If it's firm I'm not going to be on a powder ski.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hear you Tom as to rocker. I spend a lot of time on race skis and in most conditions I've been pleased with turn completion on the DPS. They won't be confused with race skis but I wouldn't like something that wasn't capable carving. Overall a very fun, capable soft snow ski. If it's firm I'm not going to be on a powder ski.

That looks like a really nice ski, but my wallet cringes, as "real" money is being dedicated to new frontside skis next season.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dps 112rp hybrids still go in strong in my quiver after 3 years. Not the best in heavy chop mashed potatoes IMO, but so much fun in consistent snow, good on groomers, and good in bumps. More of a dance with the mountain type ski.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks like a really nice ski, but my wallet cringes, as "real" money is being dedicated to new frontside skis next season.

The Hybrids are being discontinued, easy to find on sale. Don't know if @Lorenzzo has those or the Pures.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the hybrids which in my book is a better ski except maybe for long climbs, although the hybrids are pretty light. When I walk by them in the garage I kind of smile to myself. Not sure if it's because they're so much fun or I associate them with freshies and it's Pavlovian.

To your point I got mine this winter for around half off list. They may have gotten stale in terms of product lifecycle but on the hill they are damn fresh.

I like nimble/playful but stable and carvy skis and they are. I would jump on a half off deal on these in your size assuming you like what I like.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug, I own the Patron in 193, which I like a lot, but do not love, primarily because of the tail. Right or wrong, I just don't seem to like any ski with much tail rocker. Even if it works "better" I don't care a lot for the feel of turn completion -- or lack thereof.

So, tip rocker plus flat-ish tail is the current Holy Grail. Current thoughts seem to be vectoring in on the Bodacious and K2 Pinnacle 118. Haven't owned a K2 in a long time, but that is all I skied from age 9 to 39......

The Pinnacle 118 is a great ski, to me. Stable at speed and in chop. Great turn feel, in powder or on groomers. It can do well in mild bumps, but not so much in trees. A versatile bigger turning ski. (A ski I'd love to own.)

It used to be called the Annex 118. Almost identical ski. The 184 and 191 have a different feel; the 191 feels more burly - too much for me. Since you're taller, might work for you.

Also, not sure, but seems like there are certain twin tip (& rockered tail) constructions that adjust for the tail shape with well-placed stiffness in the length, and maybe width, of the ski that more than makes up for the weakness that might otherwise be there in such a tail, while perhaps adding some playfulness or versatility. So, for instance, some of the rockered tail skis that have a reputation as chargers or for use by experts you might give a demo to, in spite of not having a flat tail. (e.g., the newer Pettitors & Bibby Pros).

Both the Pinnacle 118 (Seth) and the Pettitor 120 (Sean) have strength in the tail when you want it. Both are like tanks in chop/crud, here in Colo; and in the heavier snow conditions of the pnw, I'd guess, not sure.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online