• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Snow subscription question

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been supscribed to Open Snow in the past, but the past few years I've just been using the free version.
Do you subscribe? If so, do you do it to support them or because you get more from their service with a subscription?
If so, do you feel that you use the added features that you get with the all access?
Saw this on their site today.
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 8.33.49 AM.png

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I subscribe to support their excellent local weather reports, and at least in the past (not sure this is still true) to get maps in my Tahoe Daily Snow emails. I pretty much never use the automated 10-day forecasts.

Powder alerts are fun, but I don’t really use them for anything. I should probably take a look at the snowpack graphs.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes on group. i think for me its probably half support, half value for the $

The auto 10day quick view is probably the most high value to me to know at a glance things what might be coming.
I'm not local or on a fixed schedule, so have to plan a little bit and getting 3days extra forecast info helps me spot some opportunities to plan better

For tahoe maybe its not needed, as BA is pretty robust in his written update, and his long-range will always have his take on what's coming, or someone posts it, but I don't always have the time to read through his extended analysis.

The maps I've used a handful, but just here and there esp. recently for smoke. it loads a lot faster than wundermap or alternates for example.

The trailmaps/resort Webcams also are along the same lines of convenience but you can probably get the same info elsewhere, but in 1 place that performs smoothly.
I suppose another convenience is no ads?

The snowpack charts I do look at too; but don't change my decisions as you usually have to pull the trigger for flyaway trips before the chart develops and I can't do the Chase thing. It does help you win arguments of whether we are in good season or not a good season.

Also note, their smartphone app is pretty smooth, so these convenience/organization features have more value if you use it in that mobile way to have all the info in 1 place at your fingertips ondemand at a whim when your brain wants to know and you don't want to remember website links.
if you don't have a need/desire to access info in this quick mobile way and you usually get your info on a full computer/web browser, it may have less value to you

Last edited:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I subscribe, mostly because the 10-day forecasts, snowpack graphs, and other features are worth it to me, but I also like supporting their good work. Their daily snows are fantastic, and generally speaking I find their forecasts more accurate than https://www.snow-forecast.com/, although I will often check both forecasts.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I subscribe mostly to support them, in recognition of a well-constructed, well-run, and useful service.
I don't think my usage changed when I switched over from free.
Now that I see the list of features, I'll have to try them out.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the daily snows and do use the forecasts to help forecast some of decisions as to where I'll go and ski. Also like to support these guys.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I love what they do and enjoy reading such substantive posts about weather. I don't really need what's offered by the paid subscription, since my opportunity to ski is dictated more by family and work obligations, but I subscribe anyway to support good work. I think I'd feel a little guilty checking the weather there so often without making a contribution.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
I subscribed for years until they started adding all the new "features" which I found just cluttered the interface and made for a less genuine feeling experience, now I just open all the daily snows in an incognito window.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Highly recommend skiers subscribe to OpenSnow, especially powder enthusiasts. In the Tahoe area, Bryan A provides much more solid information than even someone familiar with obscure professional weather websites might use. Interpreting weather models requires advanced software and education. Useful sites like this need subscriptions or will eventually disappear.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I subscribe. I skied 28 days last year out west and so at $1 a day, it was the cheapest subscription available. I won't ski that much this year, but still, on a per day of use basis it's really cheap.

Also, I've PM'd two of the meteorologists before on rescheduling flights ahead of storms (or to avoid them) and they've replied quickly. More than worth it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I subscribe to support them

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I subscribe to support. I like the New England report. When I head north from Rhode Island for a day trip, I can choose from a lot of mountains. The detailed weather reports are part of what helps me pick good days at the right mountain. That is worth $29.99 to me.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like graphs and charts and more data... but the main reasons I pay are for 10 day forecasts and to support the site. And I support the site because I really like that they have actual mountain forecasts (or attempts) for mid-mountain, rather than just the nearest town.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I subscribe to support but I also like the 10 day forecast, even if it isn't terribly accurate. Also, I like the smoke maps in summer.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
1. I subscribe to support the efforts of the OpenSnow team.

2. Appreciate the frequent appearances of Joel Gratz in Summit and Eagle counties at free community events, where he does a snow forecasting seminar and takes questions about local microclimates. e.g. He'll be in Breck on November 11 for a free talk on winter forecasting and on his entrepreneurial startup experiences.

3. Appreciate the free access to OpenSummit for mountain peak weather/lightening forecasts during hiking season.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used the free version for a couple of years, but for anyone who appreciates reading a weather forecast written to answer the questions skiers want to know, it's easy to justify spending a few bucks to support their mission.
And my mission, outsmarting all the rest of you to get first chair, first tracks (and second tracks on the next run). hmmm, maybe this post is over-sharing a bit....

If you're willing to buy a couple of beers for three friends, why not pitch in and get a group subscription? Then they can buy the beers on powder days....
I pasted a summary from their FAQ page below.

It's super-annoying to hear the TV weatherman describe an incoming storm in terms of "bad weather",
almost as bad as anticipating a huge powder day, only to have the high- wind forecast included at the last minute.

About 20 years ago (pre-OpenSnow, pre-timely snow reports online), after a night staying in Montrose, CO (about halfway between Crested Butte and Telluride) we drove on icy roads 2 hours all the way to CB only to find marginal hard-packed dust-on-crust, because we were unaware that Telluride had gotten 18" overnight. Don't want to make that mistake ever again.....

Joel and the OpenSnow team can't always pin down every precise detail of every storm, but they are really great at describing the level of uncertainty and character of each snow event that might surprise on the upside.

(Q) What is the difference between a Free and All-Access account?
The following features are available to free accounts:
  • 5-Day Snow Forecasts
  • Custom Snow Report Alerts
  • 4 Daily Snow Reads/Week
  • Avalanche Forecasts
With the All-Access subscription for $29.99/year (Single) or $39.99/year (Group), you receive unlimited access to OpenSnow AND our summer service, OpenSummit, with the following features:
  • 10-Day Snow Forecasts
  • 5-Day Hourly Forecasts
  • Unlimited Daily Snow Reads
  • Daily Snow Email Delivery
  • Current & Forecast Radar
  • Estimated 24-Hour Snow Reports
  • Estimated 24-Hour Snowfall Map
  • Estimated Season-to-Date Snowfall Map
  • Estimated Snow Depth Map
  • Cloud Cover Map
  • Wind Gust Map
    (lots more, not pasted......)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used the free version for a couple of years, but for anyone who appreciates reading a weather forecast written to answer the questions skiers want to know, it's easy to justify spending a few bucks to support their mission.
And my mission, outsmarting all the rest of you to get first chair, first tracks (and second tracks on the next run). hmmm, maybe this post is over-sharing a bit....

If you're willing to buy a couple of beers for three friends, why not pitch in and get a group subscription? Then they can buy the beers on powder days....
I pasted a summary from their FAQ page below.

It's super-annoying to hear the TV weatherman describe an incoming storm in terms of "bad weather",
almost as bad as anticipating a huge powder day, only to have the high- wind forecast included at the last minute.

About 20 years ago (pre-OpenSnow, pre-timely snow reports online), after a night staying in Montrose, CO (about halfway between Crested Butte and Telluride) we drove on icy roads 2 hours all the way to CB only to find marginal hard-packed dust-on-crust, because we were unaware that Telluride had gotten 18" overnight. Don't want to make that mistake ever again.....

Joel and the OpenSnow team can't always pin down every precise detail of every storm, but they are really great at describing the level of uncertainty and character of each snow event that might surprise on the upside.

(Q) What is the difference between a Free and All-Access account?
The following features are available to free accounts:
  • 5-Day Snow Forecasts
  • Custom Snow Report Alerts
  • 4 Daily Snow Reads/Week
  • Avalanche Forecasts
With the All-Access subscription for $29.99/year (Single) or $39.99/year (Group), you receive unlimited access to OpenSnow AND our summer service, OpenSummit, with the following features:
  • 10-Day Snow Forecasts
  • 5-Day Hourly Forecasts
  • Unlimited Daily Snow Reads
  • Daily Snow Email Delivery
  • Current & Forecast Radar
  • Estimated 24-Hour Snow Reports
  • Estimated 24-Hour Snowfall Map
  • Estimated Season-to-Date Snowfall Map
  • Estimated Snow Depth Map
  • Cloud Cover Map
  • Wind Gust Map
    (lots more, not pasted......)
Your personal experience is helpful.
Obviously the Q & A is readily available to read but its the personal reasons and experiences that we are looking for.

Sponsor