• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Letter on Diversity in Our Sport

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kudos to the bi-racial soon to be Dad and wishing your baby the best of health. I agree with pchewn regarding open race courses. Even though I coach for a club program, when ever I get some kid or even adult poaching my training course I never kick them off and encourage them to train with us.
LOVE this! Embarrassing for me at this stage in life but one experience when younger and more testosterone on board was poaching a race trail w/ a buddy. I got best time of the day for my age group. I was on pow skis, being "Bad" and we did the course as a goof to mess w/ the racers! :huh: :decisions: That's not to toot a horn of any kind, DEF NOT my style... but to say that there are many "Lurkers" that if given a proper push (motivation), support and attention, could be super successful w/in that scene.... kinda like if you want better computer security, hire the hackers thought process ( "PaceMaker" anyone? Pardon the obscure series reference) The part that many don't realize is that "the approach" to that person, needs to be carefully constructed to promote trust.

Much respect to Shone Malliet/Winter 4 Kids & Constance Beverly/Share Winter

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm speaking here as the soon-to-be parent of a biracial kid (white father; black mother). Baby is due in a few weeks. I am definitely getting her involved in skiing when she's ready. Hopefully she'll like it enough to want to join the local race team at Blue Mountain (PA) and start to out-ski her dad! Those race kids can move.
Congratulations. Looking forward to your posts here

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
LOVE this! Embarrassing for me at this stage in life but one experience when younger and more testosterone on board was poaching a race trail w/ a buddy. I got best time of the day for my age group. I was on pow skis, being "Bad" and we did the course as a goof to mess w/ the racers! :huh: :decisions: That's not to toot a horn of any kind, DEF NOT my style... but to say that there are many "Lurkers" that if given a proper push (motivation), support and attention, could be super successful w/in that scene.... kinda like if you want better computer security, hire the hackers thought process ( "PaceMaker" anyone? Pardon the obscure series reference) The part that many don't realize is that "the approach" to that person, needs to be carefully constructed to promote trust.

Much respect to Shone Malliet/Winter 4 Kids & Constance Beverly/Share Winter
First...shame on you.

Second...
Thanks to things like Winter 4 Kids and Share Winter, poaching race courses isn't needed.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Just saw this image on Facebook and feel it's relevant to this discussion.

361651757_10227955857700775_6016664652713050824_n.jpg

This sort of message, even if not arising from racism, can have racist impact. Brown people know that they do not look like "locals" in snow country, and the message is really off-putting. It's scary. Critiques of short-term rentals messing up local economies, or rich outsiders having negative impact on natural spaces are one thing - but they have to be very carefully stated to not scare people of color.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow. Never thought of the anti-tourist thing as having implicit racism to them, but I can see that.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This sort of message, even if not arising from racism, can have racist impact. Brown people know that they do not look like "locals" in snow country, and the message is really off-putting. It's scary. Critiques of short-term rentals messing up local economies, or rich outsiders having negative impact on natural spaces are one thing - but they have to be very carefully stated to not scare people of color.
Incredibly thought-provoking post.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As @jt10000 alluded to, the fear is real and palpable. @Lauren and @Gina D as an FYI during my many years I've always had to research the remote areas I like to ski, prior to venturing in. It's a self preservation tactical approach. It's a sit in restaurants facing the door kinda stuff, always checking behind you, head on a swivel like Vets experiencing PTSD, ignoring the "Monkey" comments you hear.....Lots of stuff we never really talk about in depth...... It's not common but it's there and it happens and it can be scary especially when you understand violence on a fundamental level after a childhood in the South Bronx.

Small things remind you, like the Olympian that won some event was from Montgomery, VT. It was a reminder. I was proud of the athlete, but I've got some SERIOUS PTSD around Montgomery and would never, ever go back there. Lots of places like that around the country where I realize nothing would probably happen but .... you just never know....... and you DEF do not feel welcome back........ Hard to articulate online.......

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
For me, part of it is a worry of not being able to get help from police if I ever needed it.

Here's a story - I remember sitting in my car in a park-and-ride parking lot just eating lunch and a cop drives up to me and starts asking me questions. WTF. Minding my own business and I have to explain why I am there.

Then 15 years later I was seriously lost at night trying to find a motel I'd reserved a room at just a few miles from the earlier incident. Same town or maybe one town over. I just could not find the place, though knew I was very close. Going around and around. I'm driving along and see a policeman in his car. And I was so conflicted if I should go ask him for help or keep looking myself and not interact. I decided to keep looking, avoiding the police car. Found the place about 15 minutes later. Whew.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
As @jt10000 alluded to, the fear is real and palpable. @Lauren and @Gina D as an FYI during my many years I've always had to research the remote areas I like to ski, prior to venturing in. It's a self preservation tactical approach. It's a sit in restaurants facing the door kinda stuff, always checking behind you, head on a swivel like Vets experiencing PTSD, ignoring the "Monkey" comments you hear.....Lots of stuff we never really talk about in depth...... It's not common but it's there and it happens and it can be scary especially when you understand violence on a fundamental level after a childhood in the South Bronx.

Small things remind you, like the Olympian that won some event was from Montgomery, VT. It was a reminder. I was proud of the athlete, but I've got some SERIOUS PTSD around Montgomery and would never, ever go back there. Lots of places like that around the country where I realize nothing would probably happen but .... you just never know....... and you DEF do not feel welcome back........ Hard to articulate online.......
I think you are articulating just fine.

In terms of what we white folk can relate I would guess it's like the feeling of being a gringo in Latin America or a farang in Asia but replacing the feeling of standing out and being an easy mark for scams or begging etc with a feeling of implicit verbal or physical aggression/unwelcomenness then ramped up by a multiple. And in your own country/home state. It truly saddens me that you still have to experience this in the 21st Century.

I've also been pulled over by the police in the US due to profiling on having out of state or country plates on a few occasions. However being white I've always been able to talk through things without feeling threatened no matter how hick the cop. That feels like a huge variable.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
being a gringo in Latin America or a farang in Asia but replacing the feeling of standing out and being an easy mark for scams or begging etc with a feeling of implicit verbal or physical aggression/unwelcomenness then ramped up by a multiple. And in your own country/home state.
That "stand out" feeling wouldn't have changed even if you grew up in Latin America/Asia! You would have been "in your own country" but still "a mark" regardless.

The fact we're even talking about it is because this is a country where there are actually multiple races calling it home in the first place.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh man...... don't get me started! My Dad and I were literally chased by a bat and pipe wielding mob of men and women, out of Lodi, NJ. What were we doing? Visiting my Aunt who was in from out of town and staying w/ a friend there for 3 weeks. We had to have a White friend go out, get our car and pull it close to the front door. I told my Dad, "I'm driving!" We literally dove into the vehicle as the mob across the street came toward us yelling all kinds of stuff. It was like something out of a movie! So surreal. I still have visions of seeing that mob in the rearview mirror as I screeched the tires to get out of there!

The next day my Dad's White friends at his job at the Staten Island Ferry were like; "What the hell were you doing in Lodi? You didn't know you're not supposed to be there? Everybody knows that!"

I guess we didn't get the memo on that one!

My Aunt had to leave after a few days because her friend said the neighbors were getting "restless" about her "Guest". It was much more than "restless" ....

I'm done w/ telling stories.... too depressing! :dig:

Last edited:

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow...............great post and I agree the bumper sticker definitely has racial bias. For example, it drives me nuts when I read on this website that people of color do not live near the mountains or ski areas, so accessibility is not a concern. I can assure you there are plenty of diverse races and cultures near many ski resorts throughout the United State. What's really upsetting is saying "The Locals Hate You" is just bad economically for any community. The only constant in the United States is "change" meaning in order for places like ski resort towns to thrive is they need to welcome people from all racial, ethic, and cultural backgrounds otherwise they are going to be out of business. A perfect example is Burke Mountain which has been in and out of bankruptcy for years, because they simply have not adapted to change and the ski area cannot possibly survive on 60 kids attending a $70K ski academy.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought the south Bronx look pretty "dark" in color...
The South Bronx for me, was a mixed bag as I'm Black and Puerto Rican. There was a LOT of static between the two cultures and I fell squarely in the middle. Fortunately, I stayed mostly out of the fray as everyone knew my thing was "books & learning"..... okay and graffiti.... Although I sucked at it, I knew and grew up w/ some of the old school infamous pioneer artists who did their art squarely in illegal territories. From that perspective it made me aware that we are all a mixed bag and that cultural/racial harmony although difficult, can be overcome.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@jt10000 If I'd seen that sticker, I'd have never thought of racial implications. We see this attitude in Reno about people from California since Californians seem to be moving to Nevada while the tech jobs are coming here.
But...I'm glad you posted and have made me think about it on a deeper side.
I sincerely appreciate you and @Yo Momma continue to share your experiences and educate those of us who are trying to be a positive change.

I just keep thinking...."Aren't we better than that?"

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

It’s a bummer to read about Montgomery. Was hoping to find a little place near Jay Peak but sounds like I should pass.

(In case it’s not obvious to thread readers I’m not white either.)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a bummer to read about Montgomery. Was hoping to find a little place near Jay Peak but sounds like I should pass.

(In case it’s not obvious to thread readers I’m not white either.)
That was quite a while ago. Maybe it has changed by now and I accept that possibly my current fears may be simply based on that one bad experience??? :huh: Check it out and hang out there for a bit. You'll get the feel of the place pretty quickly.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I just keep thinking...."Aren't we better than that?"
We are. Just some are "better" than others. ;)

@jt10000 If I'd seen that sticker, I'd have never thought of racial implications. We see this attitude in Reno about people from California since Californians seem to be moving to Nevada while the tech jobs are coming here.
But...I'm glad you posted and have made me think about it on a deeper side.
Let's face it, the "locals" just want everyone else gone, whatever their race.

It's a classic status quote thing. But if you're from the group of historically "have not", yeah, you feel the stink more.

Sponsor

Staff online