• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On Slope Communication?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am posting this is this section under the "more" portion of the sub-forum

So, anyone have info on technology to be able to communicate on the mountain with others? Because we at times will be skiing different runs, it needs to be able to cover some distance and likely not line of sight.

Ideally it would have an ear piece and a push to talk rather than having to take out a small radio and push buttons like a walkie talkie, this would just be a PITA with gloves/mittens.

Ideas?

And I'll tag @Philpug because you seem to know all :hail:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Outdoor tech has a great communication system in their headphones. Does not require a line of sight and you can have up to 99 people on your channel

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone have experience with Outdoor Tech?
The online reviews are not great for either the wired (to plug into a stand alone walkie talkie) or wireless (seems to have an internal walkie talkie) versions.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I have the wireless (Bluetooth) version. It works great for listening to music, taking and making phone calls with your gloves/mittens by pressing on the ear buttons. On iPhones, it is easy to use Siri as well. The walkie talkie function has been a little disappointing. I assumed that there was some user error involved here, and I tried to contact the company for some help/support. I have to say that I was less than impressed with their response to my inquiries. Basically, there was no response either to my phone calls (I was instructed to leave voice mails) or to my emails to customer support. YMMV. My understanding is that the walkie talkie function depends on having cell service available, so I have usually just called my wife while on the hill.

Previously, we had access to, and used, Uclear devices. They worked pretty well, but my experience is that the connection dropped often, and we had to reconnect to each other. Not difficult, but mildly annoying. And the Uclear device is a little bulky -- when you wear it on your helmet, it is a great conversation starter...

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Outdoor tech has a great communication system in their headphones. Does not require a line of sight and you can have up to 99 people on your channel

Should the system actually work, it might be "suggested or recommended equipment" for say, a Gathering.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting, fail safe is still a radio with mic attachment. Used by race teams all around the world.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
$20 used handhelds with $15 remote clip on mikes. Usually have enough range for MidAtlantic places. Would probably need short wave (2 meter?) for larger western resorts though.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Years ago we used walkie-talkies with an advertised 3 mile range at Whistler and they worked all over the mountain, even reaching from Whistler Bowl to Blackcomb, though I doubt that they'd work if you were on opposite sides of a ridge.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied with a couple that had some sort of set up that they talked to each other , Total Pain with who ever is skiing with them. At first I thought thy had lost it to I figured it out. I prefer being in my own little world while skiing not " WHERE ARE YOU " !!!!!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied with a couple that had some sort of set up that they talked to each other , Total Pain with who ever is skiing with them. At first I thought thy had lost it to I figured it out. I prefer being in my own little world while skiing not " WHERE ARE YOU " !!!!!

I've had some clients with psychotic disorders that would talk to themselves in public. Solution: get them a Bluetooth headset, and nobody pays them any attention, all of the sudden they're perfectly normal.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Agree. I like skiing with people. I dont like skiing with people who want to talk about where they will be every hundred yards.

I do communication stuff for a living, and I think that we as a culture, use connectivity instead of communication. The ability to express ones thoughts and be understood is at the heart of it. If one relys on being told what to do every step of the way, then communication isnt happening.

EG, Hey, we are going to hit the black run over there a couple times. Since you guys want to ski this blue, how about we meet at the lift line in a hour, then cruise in for lunch? (answer OK, sure, or another plan, then execute it.) THAT is communication. Texting or checking a device every time you are on a lift or stop for a second is a substitute for communication.

That said, in the rare instance connectivity on the slopes would be worthwhile, a radio with a earbud mic cord would do the job.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They don't have cell phone towers where y'all ski?

We have T-Mobile, which is not great for service in remote areas.

Long story why we use it, but bottom line is I spend 6 months a year out of the country and the service overseas BLOWS AT&T etc out of the water both for coverage and price. Matter of fact, it is about 20% per month of AT&T.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have T-Mobile, which is not great for service in remote areas.

Long story why we use it, but bottom line is I spend 6 months a year out of the country and the service overseas BLOWS AT&T etc out of the water both for coverage and price. Matter of fact, it is about 20% per month of AT&T.

Yes, the nice thing about T-mobile is the free data overseas, and the call costs are pretty reasonable as well

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, the nice thing about T-mobile is the free data overseas, and the call costs are pretty reasonable as well

Exactly, unlimited Data is the key, and $0.20 per minute overseas is great too. Coverage at our house sucks tho, luckily they have wifi calling so we are good to go at home

Sponsor