• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old man getting back into skiing

Ski2024

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Im 58 and havent skies in 10 yrs, I acquired an ols set of Blizzard x spirt 5 in awesome condition research says they are womens skies, what difference does this make I think I like the idea of the lighter weight !

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is that a system ski, in that the binding is integrated into the ski or does it look like it is mounted on top. Pictures could help.

TS
S

Ski2024

Skier
Looks like its mounted on top

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 54
TS
S

Ski2024

Skier
And maybe the bindings will be just fine

TS
S

Ski2024

Skier
These are them

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 54
TS
S

Ski2024

Skier
Any ideas on these bindings, I think I will just try them, got theses skies at a garage sell for $50

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bindings look as old as the skis, which are a 2007 model. Before I'd ski on them, I would want a shop to check the bindings and adjust them for my weight and ability. Phil and others will know better than I, but it is very possible that a shop will not touch them due to liability concerns with respect to their age, etc. And while I don't consider 58 as old (I am 70), do you want to risk your ligaments and bones for the sake of saving some money on newer equipment?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some women's skis are built and configured slightly different (wt distribution) and stiffness (strength) so while they work mens skis could be better for you.

Second issue is bindings, depending on the model some no longer have coverage by shops, so unless you know how to set and check your own bindings (at your own risk) you are SOL. If you have to ask on the group on how to set up your bindings (even though many do their own setups, I've been doing mine since before I was a teen years ago) don't, go to a professional and learn with them directly (if they are willing to show you), again liability comes into play. Remember if you go this route you can only blame yourself for injuries.

There are lots of good deals for new old stock out there that set you up for success and give you better equipment.

TS
S

Ski2024

Skier
Some women's skis are built and configured slightly different (wt distribution) and stiffness (strength) so while they work mens skis could be better for you.

Second issue is bindings, depending on the model some no longer have coverage by shops, so unless you know how to set and check your own bindings (at your own risk) you are SOL. If you have to ask on the group on how to set up your bindings (even though many do their own setups, I've been doing mine since before I was a teen years ago) don't, go to a professional and learn with them directly (if they are willing to show you), again liability comes into play. Remember if you go this route you can only blame yourself for injuries.

There are lots of good deals for new old stock out there that set you up for success and give you better equipment.
This is why Im asking questions

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ski2024 where in Texas are you? Maybe the collective can point you to a shop.
Another option is to carry the skis to whatever resort you go and have the shop on mtn test them. In this case, it might be better to just rent and forego carrying the skis to resort.

Assuming you travel (from TX) to ski, where do you go?

Has anyone mentioned boots yet? What's your boot story? Renting, own? If own, how old?

TS
S

Ski2024

Skier
@Ski2024 where in Texas are you? Maybe the collective can point you to a shop.
Another option is to carry the skis to whatever resort you go and have the shop on mtn test them. In this case, it might be better to just rent and forego carrying the skis to resort.

Assuming you travel (from TX) to ski, where do you go?

Has anyone mentioned boots yet? What's your boot story? Renting, own? If own, how old?
Yes I understand all of this, thank you

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I'll be the one.:ogbiggrin:

Do you have boots? Better to have boots that fit well and you can then rent skis if necessary.

I came back after a bunch of years (60 next month) and was blown away by the changes in gear. There's a good chance if you get new boots they won't be compatible with those bindings.

Sponsor

Staff online