• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Newbie question: How often do I need to wax my skis?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Beware of the $5 wax job if it is just a rub on wax, and then run over a power brush, power buffer. This type of wax job does not last. A drip on hot wax and waxing iron gets the wax to penetrate into the skis resulting in longer lasting and better performance.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I remember right, the free ski check at DV has a sign offering waxing for like $5 if you leave your skis overnight. Try it a couple of time and see if you like the feel of a freshily waxed pair vs the days you go without.
That is an option. I often store my skis up at Silver Lake and the two times I had them wax my skis the result was the two worst wax jobs I've ever had. Picture high viscosity wax applied with a coarse paint brush in uneven waves with no scraping.

53, Let me mention a couple of other options:

a. Renstall is building a new ski tuning shop at the lower turnaround at Silver Lake Lodge. They handle race teams' equipment and generally do a nice job. It will be very convenient for vacationers.

b. I have a tuning bench in my garage with all the goodies for waxing, deburring, etc. I'd be happy to have you stop by with the caution that I'm not nearly as precise and methodical as many here. But it comes with beer which is required when tuning skis in ones garage. I might even finish painting the bench before the upcoming season.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Lorenzzo
“B.” Sounds like a great option, we can do it before dinner one night. That way I could learn a bit on how to do it myself.

“A.” Sounds good as we are staying in the Silver Lake Lodge area

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
As you can see in my avatar I consider waxing and tuning an essential part of the winter experience. So much so, I start in Florida around September when it's 95 degrees out.

There is a degree of concentration, contemplation, physical hand skills and inebriation required to get good results. There is no better way to spend a few hours on a dark winter night. You will be at one with your skis, they will obey your every command the next morning. Your wife will appreciate her finely tuned and waxed skis to the point where she will bring a fresh beer out to the garage (or rented condo utility room in my case).

But don't track the wax into the living room or you lose the cleaning deposit.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
When you visit a ski shop ask a salesperson to show you what a waxed and tuned ski feels and looks like. Run your finger up and down the edges and feel how consistent the edge is - sharp but smooth. See how the bases are smooth without pores or dry spots. Imagine how easily these skis will slide and initiate turns, how "being on edge" with a smooth edge will help you make smooth turns.

Then have them show you some beaters in for a tune. Dry hairy bases, edges that are rusted and knicked. Imagine trying to ski gracefully with those?

Learn how to tell when your bases are drying out and the edges need some work with the stone (or some heavier duty attention from an experienced technician).

You should be able to find a basic wax and simple tune overnight at any "destination" ski resort and you shouldn't have to quit early or start late to do so.

The basic wax and stone stuff is easily learned in minutes, you don't need much of a kit, the hardest thing is finding a secure way to hold the skis down to work on them... $150 for good ski vises is nice but you can can close or better with some creative 2x4 lumber and simple carpentry.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
As was mentioned there is nothing like a properly waxed/tuned ski. It will just perform and behave bettter, at some point you will become attuned (no pun intended) to when the ski is needing some attention. Certain temps/conditions will make it more noticeable. If you go the do it yourself route and don’t want to travel with an iron just pick up some tin foil and use it to cover the iron in your hotel room. As a kid I did that with my Mom’s iron and she never knew...

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Started at 53. All above is good advice but 6-7 days is a little long on a hot wax. I can notice thre 4th day is not up to good performance. Some thing that will really work for you and is KISS is nonhotwax rub on wax. In the old days F4 was used and in my opinion was next to worthless, however I stumbled on a new easy rsub on wax that I think works pretty good.

Does it replace a good hot wax, NO but still works ok. On a trip or when I just don't feel like hot waxing I use this paste.

"Jet Fuel", a container costs $12.00 and actually works pretty well. Rub it into the base with the supplied applicator (med thickness and rub in really good). Let dry for about 15 minutes and then rub smooth with a paper towel. I was suprised with how well it works. It is a pain to take all my hot wax tools etc. with me on a trip and just use Jet Fuel everyday instead.

Haven't found in a ski shop so buy online. AME Innovations,Inc. 800-780-4911

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Sounds like I can do a trip (6-7 days skiing) without waxing and do it when I get home?
Yes you can.
I know a lot of skiers who drop their skis off to be tuned once every year or so.
You can also leave milk in your refrigerator for a month, and it may not kill you.
If you wan't to really enjoy skiing, keep wax on your skis.
During the season putting a fresh coat of wax on the skis every morning is a ritual. Is it necessary? No.
But it feels great to ski on fresh wax!

Sponsor

Staff online