• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New family Skiers. Holiday trip

gnrbhoy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Followed this thread with interest. Like the OP I am nowwhere near ski locations. I am in Alabama. I am from UK and was lucky enough to go to Italy on some school trips where I learned to Ski,. I am desperate to start ski-ing with my daughters (5 and 4). I have spent a long time googling and encounter all the big resorts such as steamboat which priced out around 7grand before factoring in flights which I just can't do. I have looked at a few days in Gatlinburg but read what felt like endless negative reviews this morning about waiting for over an hour in lines for the cable car, confusing things about services and rude staff which has put me off a bit. I did find a place to Ski in Alabama believe it or not but then quickly saw it hasn't reopened following Covid. Other results when I looked for Skiing in the south was West Virginia which is an 11 hour drive. Which is fine, but I am not having WV being in the south, lol.

I'd love for some recommendations for a young family, wife and two kids with no experience for some kind of starter trip. I would want a minimum 3 days skiiking. Ideally not more than say $4000.
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Followed this thread with interest. Like the OP I am nowwhere near ski locations. I am in Alabama. I am from UK and was lucky enough to go to Italy on some school trips where I learned to Ski,. I am desperate to start ski-ing with my daughters (5 and 4). I have spent a long time googling and encounter all the big resorts such as steamboat which priced out around 7grand before factoring in flights which I just can't do. I have looked at a few days in Gatlinburg but read what felt like endless negative reviews this morning about waiting for over an hour in lines for the cable car, confusing things about services and rude staff which has put me off a bit. I did find a place to Ski in Alabama believe it or not but then quickly saw it hasn't reopened following Covid. Other results when I looked for Skiing in the south was West Virginia which is an 11 hour drive. Which is fine, but I am not having WV being in the south, lol.

I'd love for some recommendations for a young family, wife and two kids with no experience for some kind of starter trip. I would want a minimum 3 days skiiking. Ideally not more than say $4000.
You will need to look into North Carolina ski areas. Maybe @crgildart can give you some good info. I lived in the south for quite some time and did all of my skiing by flying west. Good luck figuring out a solution that works for your family.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I might take some heat for this but...

I think five and four is too young for starting kids on skiing unless you're local to the slopes and can ski for an hour or two at a time on a regular basis. Most kids at that age have limited abilities to focus and their learning is best accomplished in small bites from a parent who's an accomplished skier and patient teacher. I'd suggest sneaking off to ski without the kids for a couple of years. If the guilt gets bad take them to DisneyWorld...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My kids learned to ski in NC, VA, and WV. Started out with a couple of 2-3 day trips per season. It worked well for one, but the other just preferred to hang out inside by the fire sipping cocoa and eating chili. Slopeside and walk to ski houses were affordable in WV at Blue KNob and Timberline... especially sharing a 4 BR place with 2-3 other families.

Other than that, day trips to the NC resorts... Cattaloochee is kind of a tourist magnet due to it's proximity to The Biltmore. It's hands down the most crowded place on a holiday. Beech has a very Euro old school vibe to it with decent advanced terrain. Sugar is the most modern, with the steepest terrain (but the steepest run is only open mid to late Jan for a few weeks). Appalachian is the smallest place, 365 vert, located in town near a mid sized college. Lots of school kids, college kids. It's the place my kids felt most comfortable to learn.

As mentioned though, taking them 3 times a season for a day or three they will not progress all that much. Oldest has 15 years of that and is a mid level intermediate and fine with that. He can navigate steep, icy blue/black terrain and pick his way down a steep bump trail in sections. But he really just enjoys cruising blues all day. He has what he needs to get going if he does end up living closer to the mountains. Mission accomplished.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nothing wrong with starting the kids young-- just keep your kids' personalities and abilities in mind, your expectations low, and book somewhere that has other activities for them too. A few considerations--will an hour on snow be more than enough physically and mentally, or can they do a half day or more without everyone paying for it come the witching hour? Is there on slope accommodations in case some quiet time mid-day is needed? Is there someplace they can just play in the snow for a bit? Bonus if there's a pool, waterpark, tubing, etc. if full day skiing isn't in the cards, but they still have energy to burn. Are your kids outgoing, comfortable around other people? Maybe look for something with child care too so the adults can get a full day in even if the littles aren't up to it. Depending on airfare from where you are and how flexible your schedule is, keep an eye on Club Med Charlevoix last minute deals. Child care is included from age 4 up, as are lessons, food, etc. It might not qualify as a basic "starter trip" but with everything included you would at least know in advance what the grand total will be.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Massanutten in VA and 7 Springs in PA are good for family trips. Massanutten actually has an indoor water park. 7 springs has mini golf, a pool, and bowling.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd definitely recommend Club Med trips for learning kids if they are outgoing. Not sure you can do it on $4000, tho.

On the downside, my daughter and I did 3 of them back when Club Med was at Copper. Unfortunately, in the beginning her abilities were well beyond her age group for skiing and she was put with older kids for that activity. Then back with her age group otherwise. That didn't work so well the first 2 years. Less of a problem the 3rd time. But your kids are neophytes.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Ok, here are a few thoughts:
  • Enjoy your little Miracles. So happy you are doing this. I never met a person who has been skiing since that early age and are not both proud of that, and grateful to their parents
  • Good weather is key! You don't want them to freeze on a storm day. That's not what you want to do at that age, or as a beginner, or both ;)
  • This means that you are better off
    • Choosing a place out West, not East
    • Choosing a date in early Spring - Longer days, more sunshine, more fun stuff to do after skiing, AND lower costs (people drop skiing late February)
  • Find a place with (@LiquidFeet , @Nancy Hummel to the courtesy phone)
    • Rental plus lessons combined: because
      • a lot of the problems for new skiers relate to poorly fitted boots, and
      • convenience is priceless when you are starting
    • A young-kid ski school: little kids enjoy being with, and learn from, other kids. It will melt your heart as you see your "babies" in a long line following other kids, and being followed by others, all behind an instructor. The instructor just shows them where to turn, and they simply do it.
      • I can't emphasize this enough, having made this mistake myself with my youngest: young kids couldn't care less about skiing with us, old people. They want to hang your with their peers.
Given all that, (and I took a little time to check for flights from , it seems like your best options are, in this order:
  • Flying to SLC , since there are several ski places close by - @Lorenzzo might have some ideas
    • You might be able to take a shuttle to the ski area and save some quid
  • Fling to Santa Fe, NM, since it is a bit cheaper and Taos has a great ski school (they may have a young child program) - @KingGrump is our resident spy in Taos, he might be able to help
    • Taos is an expert mountain, mostly, but they might have some good terrain for beginners - they were definitely super friendly and engaged the one time i reached out to their ski school

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Appalachian is the smallest place, 365 vert, located in town near a mid sized college. Lots of school kids, college kids. It's the place my kids felt most comfortable to learn.
Yeah, I'd say try Appalachian in NC. Looks to be what, 8-9 hr drive for you? That's a lot, but might work around a long Presidents Weekend, one day driving, 2 or 3 days skiing, one day driving home? Seems like you could do airbnb near the ski area and beat $4k by a lot. When the kids show a proclivity and get some basic skills you could spend bigger money to go to maybe CO.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier

Ok, here are a few thoughts:
  • Enjoy your little Miracles. So happy you are doing this. I never met a person who has been skiing since that early age and are not both proud of that, and grateful to their parents
  • Good weather is key! You don't want them to freeze on a storm day. That's not what you want to do at that age, or as a beginner, or both ;)
  • This means that you are better off
    • Choosing a place out West, not East
    • Choosing a date in early Spring - Longer days, more sunshine, more fun stuff to do after skiing, AND lower costs (people drop skiing late February)
  • Find a place with (@LiquidFeet , @Nancy Hummel to the courtesy phone)
    • Rental plus lessons combined:because
      • a lot of the problems for new skiers relate to poorly fitted boots, and
      • convenience is priceless when you are starting
    • A young-kid ski school:little kids enjoy being with, and learn from, other kids. It will melt your heart as you see your "babies" in a long line following other kids, and being followed by others, all behind an instructor. The instructor just shows them where to turn, and they simply do it.
      • I can't emphasize this enough, having made this mistake myself with my youngest: young kids couldn't care less about skiing with us, old people. They want to hang your with their peers.
Given all that, (and I took a little time to check for flights from , it seems like your best options are, in this order:
  • Flying to SLC, since there are several ski places close by - @Lorenzzo might have some ideas
    • You might be able to take a shuttle to the ski area and save some quid
  • Fling to Santa Fe, NM, since it is a bit cheaper and Taos has a great ski school (they may have a young child program) - @KingGrump is our resident spy in Taos, he might be able to help
    • Taos is an expert mountain, mostly, but they might have some good terrain for beginners - they were definitely super friendly and engaged the one time i reached out to their ski school

I definitely agree with aiming for spring, for the reasons Mendieta laid out. @gnrbhoy you don't mention which airport you're closest to, but nonstop flights tend to be cheaper, more reliable, and much less hassle with kids. Those reasons contribute to Denver being the most popular ski gateway in the country, but the flipside is that the ski areas tend to be more expensive and crowded. Ski Granby Ranch can be a good alternative for learners on a budget. And Keystone's "kids ski free" promotion might work well for your family.

If you live near an airport with affordable nonstop service to Las Vegas, Brian Head Utah is also a fantastic choice for learners--should be relatively affordable and uncrowded. It's also a great destination if you end up wanting to take a day off from skiing and explore some of the beautiful national parks/monuments in the area.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am desperate to start ski-ing with my daughters (5 and 4).
Never mind the naysayers. Do it, go in without preconceptions or expectations. Let children be children. All the best skiers started very young. Just a short time each day, and a limited number of days, whatever they're up to, can work wonders. You don't need a big fancy resort. The mind and body don't forgot those experiences. You know what they say about riding a bicycle. Time with an instructor, and with other children, will be great for their skiing, and their social skills, and their self-reliance. When you're with them, the best game will be, "Follow me." Take them interesting places, not difficult, but micro terrain features, different turn sizes. Encourage little jumps, kids love that. Children learn by doing a variety of things, not the same thing over and over. Off season, encourage all kinds of balancing activities. Ice skating, roller skating, simple gymnastics, dancing, hiking and trail running in hilly country, narrow trails.

Sponsor

Staff online