• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New family Skiers. Holiday trip

stacyjh

Booting up
Skier
Hello all!
Thanks so much for allowing me to post here. Looking for advice! We are a family of 4. All of us are new to skiing. 40/m, 38/f, 11/m, 9/f. We have booked Park City/Canyon for December 28-January 4th. We are planning on ski school on December 29th and planning to book lift and rental with school for discount that day. I am thinking of booking an epic 1 day pass for December 29th as that is in the "peak dates" price and a 2 day to use between January 1st-3rd, likely use January 1 and 2 and rest on the 3rd. Does that sound reasonable? Also, thinking of buying helmets as it seems cheaper than renting for $13/day. Am I understating it correcting that I can use 20% discount with epic pass, even if I am not using lift ticket for the day? Thoughts? Any advice is appreciated!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
How new? It seems crazy to me to book at resorts where you can't ski 80-90% of the offered terrain and are contending on top of that with holiday crowds. Assuming you don't care about the money, what about the sheer hassle? Far better to go to a 2nd or 3rd tier resort until you can ski the terrain you're paying for, and find a less well-known spot known more for its family-friendyness than its challenge. Basically, some place that's not is SKI Magazine's (are they even publishing on the web now?) Top Twenty.

I'm hoping whatever you're booked is changeable, if not refundable.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Where are you from @stacyjh?

Most people here would recommend finding a small local hill, or taking a couple of smaller learning trips, to make best use of your trip to a big mountain. It will be a lot cheaper, and then if you take lessons in Park City still, you'd be able to progress to a lot more of the "fun stuff" so to speak - going up high, doing longer runs, seeing more of the mountains, etc.

Any chance you live in a place that would afford you the chance to take a couple of lessons at least before going to Park City?

Depending on how you do, at a place like Park City, as @Sibhusky mentioned you might be relegated to the bunny hill as a "never-ever" skier, as it's called. And you might still have a lot of fun and learn, but that will leave an awful lot of the place unexplored.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just because you chose the more expensive route, does not make it wrong. Park City is a fun spot for a family trip, so you are in for an adventure. If going skiing for a day or three and taking lessons before the Holiday trip it is an option in your region examine that possibility, everyone will have more fun. You will have fun either way, so good on you.

Costco normally has decent helmets gloves and goggles for pretty good prices.

May this trip be as much fun as you are hoping for.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all!
Thanks so much for allowing me to post here. Looking for advice! We are a family of 4. All of us are new to skiing. 40/m, 38/f, 11/m, 9/f. We have booked Park City/Canyon for December 28-January 4th. We are planning on ski school on December 29th and planning to book lift and rental with school for discount that day. I am thinking of booking an epic 1 day pass for December 29th as that is in the "peak dates" price and a 2 day to use between January 1st-3rd, likely use January 1 and 2 and rest on the 3rd. Does that sound reasonable? Also, thinking of buying helmets as it seems cheaper than renting for $13/day. Am I understating it correcting that I can use 20% discount with epic pass, even if I am not using lift ticket for the day? Thoughts? Any advice is appreciated!
Looks like your location indicates Louisiana, so doing the suggested day or two of skiing to get some practice time prior to your proposed Park City trip is not feasible. I would agree that is a good suggestion. As is the one to pick a cheaper, less crowded destination. Having said that, Park City is a fun, walkable town with lots of shops and restaurants, although advance dinner reservations might be needed during the holidays.
If your plan is to ski 3 out of 4 days I'd recommend your off-day be in the middle of the ski days if permitted, perhaps after the first day? Your first few days of skiing can involve a lot of exertion and having a rest day before resuming can be helpful. Not sure about your various Epic pass questions, can you reach one of their representatives on the phone?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On the Epic Pass front... prices go up a bit on September 4th so try to get them soon. Your plan to buy separately for the peak day makes sense and will save a few bucks too. I'm not sure about any discount usages with an Epic Pass.

TS
S

stacyjh

Booting up
Skier
Thanks everybody for your help. We are in Louisiana so getting practice before the trip is not an option. I wish I would have found this page before booking! I am sure I will learn lots from reading before December. I will go ahead and buy helmets and thinking of doing the school on day 1, ski on day 2, take a break and ski on days 4 and 5 and rest a day before leaving.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everybody for your help. We are in Louisiana so getting practice before the trip is not an option. I wish I would have found this page before booking! I am sure I will learn lots from reading before December. I will go ahead and buy helmets and thinking of doing the school on day 1, ski on day 2, take a break and ski on days 4 and 5 and rest a day before leaving.
That all sounds like a good plan. Are you just taking 1 lesson day, or a lesson each day you're planning to ski?

Epic does have some guarantee of being able to ski green runs after some number of lessons or you get a free one. Not sure if it will apply, but worth looking at I think..

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Stacy. Please take the warnings with a grain of salt. They are correct that you've chosen the busiest time of year, but so what? It's busy because everyone loves skiing and that is the time everyone has off from work and school. That's the way it goes. It is also true that a small hill start can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing. The reality though, is that you are coming in on the backside of the crowds. Depending on the day of the week for New Year's Day, that day is often completely back to normal, crowd wise.

One thing you could do to increase your odds of great happiness is to consider private lessons instead of group lessons. There are pros and cons to this, but with 4 people you are nearing a wash on price. The big potential benefit is that you will probably get a much more experienced instructor with a private than in 2, 3, or 4 different first timer groups during the Christmas break. I can't speak directly for PC, but this would be true at Breckenridge. The biggest potential downside is that all 4 of you would be together for all of this. I know, that's what you're there for - family fun - but the fun might be increased by splitting up. The benefit to splitting up is that the kids get to be with other kids and not stuck with mom & dad. There is also the chance of negative learning dynamics with the kids with you. That is not uncommon. A lot of times the kids will do better learning away from mom & dad. You might already know if that is a potential issue. In either event, it can be something you are aware of and discuss with your instructor ahead of time. Another common challenge is that mom becomes so worried about her little darlings that she can't focus on her own learning. Make sure that your choice is one that will work out for YOUR family. Further, I second the idea to take lessons every day...if the bank account can support it.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Agree on booking a family private. You will be so much further ahead of the curve, and it Will be awesome family time. I’d book a few days. If you plan on skiing every day, maybe book an instructor every other day.

As far as location, I don’t know what Canyon’s beginner area is like, but that should be a consideration. Telluride has AMAZING beginner terrain. I can work with a student there for days and never feel bored or crowded.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! And enjoy the experience of learning a new sport.

In addition to helmets you will want to buy for each skier:

Thin ski socks
base layers - wool blend is best since they don't get stinky
Goggles - Lighter color lenses are better in that you can more easily see the snow. And the sun is low in December.

Also, slow down and take your time when getting ski boots at the rental shop. Double check to make sure the boots are not too big for each skier. You want a fit that feels suportive and like a firm handshake on your foot, not a cushy slipper.

Last edited:

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Do you have ice skating nearby? That can be good prep for skiing and falling :) Skiing is the best family fun!
What about roller blading this fall? Pretty good prep for skiing considering the no snow locale. It can give you the sliding moving skills, left-right shift & balance skills, fore and aft find the center skills. If you haven't slid as a sport before, this will give you a huge step up and make the week more fun.
One thing you could do to increase your odds of great happiness is to consider private lessons instead of group lessons. ...The biggest potential downside is that all 4 of you would be together for all of this. I know, that's what you're there for - family fun - but the fun might be increased by splitting up. The benefit to splitting up is that the kids get to be with other kids and not stuck with mom & dad.
All good advice. If the budget allows, what about a private for the adults (half day) and a private for the kids (half day)? Some kids do better skiing with a group of peers, so classes for the kids might be just as good. Or mix it up with class lessons on day one for all, and half day privates on ski day 2. While some advocate private lesson for day one so you get a better instructor (Christmas holiday this is going to be less true) Day 1 is filled with lots of basics that best on the hill expertise is less important. How to put skis on, how to get up, what rotation is, on and on. Just try to get someone with at least a year or two experience, not the new hire.

Aside from budget choices, I strongly recommend half day lessons and ski with your kids, have fun with your kids the other half day. Ski on terrain everyone in the group is comfortable on.

In addition to helmets you will want to buy for each skier:

Thin ski socks
base layers - wool blend is best since they don't get stinky
Goggles - Lighter color lenses are better in that you can more easily see the snow. And the sun is low in December.

Yes, and DO NOT underestimate how cold will seep through clothing in the Rockies. Jackets, pants, underlayers, mid layers, GLOVES/MITTENS. I see horrible thin cheap and cold gloves on people that have never been outside for 3 hours in winter. If you don't have a borrowing opportunity, scour Ebay and the like for ski clothing between now and December.

Take pictures. Come back next year.

TS
S

stacyjh

Booting up
Skier
Thank you everyone! I had not considered a private lesson. I was thinking after the kids full day and adult half day lessons we would be able to play around on our own. I am now thinking we may try a 3 hour private on day 2. I wonder if the discounts for lifts and gear with lessons will also apply for private lessons. I am learning so much. I did order helmets and goggles per your suggestions on Amazon and Temu!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you everyone! I had not considered a private lesson. I was thinking after the kids full day and adult half day lessons we would be able to play around on our own. I am now thinking we may try a 3 hour private on day 2. I wonder if the discounts for lifts and gear with lessons will also apply for private lessons. I am learning so much. I did order helmets and goggles per your suggestions on Amazon and Temu!

I think you've got this in the bag! Ideally, you can get lessons on days 1 and 2. On day 2, you would ask what are good areas to start exploring on days 4 and 5, as a family. God I am so happy for you that you'll do this, and so glad you started planning early.

It is crucially important that you all learn how to ride a lift on day 2, so you can ski on day 4 on your own. It is very unlikely that you'll be riding lifts on day 1. For the adults, I think it's a good idea to exercise legs and core (abs and lower back) ahead of day 1, so you'll have more fun and be less exhaustion. On top of all the good advise above: hydration. Most recreational skiers are severely dehydrated as we ski (studies were made,etc). Water in the morning before starting and water on you, like small bottles in your pockets.

You might want to look into this thread as well.

And finally, make the best of this trip, and if you get hooked into skiing, you might want to think into booking a skip trip in the Spring. Some of the best skiing happens in early Spring. Sunshine, no cold weather, soft snow once it warms up, and lots of activities in the mountain areas after skiing.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a former Park City instructor I can say with authority that Park City is an absolutely great place to learn to ski. The instructors are pros and usually on day three students will be ready for Homerun which is gentle all the way from summit to base. Some of my fondest memories as a teacher there was the expressions on my students' faces after experiencing Homerun for the first time.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I was thinking after the kids full day and adult half day lessons we would be able to play around on our own. I am now thinking we may try a 3 hour private on day 2. ....
As a former Park City instructor I can say with authority that Park City is an absolutely great place to learn to ski. The instructors are pros and usually on day three students will be ready for Homerun which is gentle all the way from summit to base. Some of my fondest memories as a teacher there was the expressions on my students' faces after experiencing Homerun for the first time.
There's a big difference between @stacyjh's expectations about the family playing around on their own after full and half day lessons on day one and @Matt Merritt's knowledge that on day three (assuming lessons on each of those three days) the family will be able to ski down from the summit. Skiing down from the summit sounds fantastic.

@Matt Merritt, what length and what kind (group or private) of lessons were you thinking of when you said three days of lessons would enable never-evers to ski Homerun down from the summit?

@stacyjh, how athletic are your family members? What athletic endeavors do each of you participate in? Any ice skating or inline skating? Soccer? Bike riding of any sort? How about skateboarding? Or ballet (yes, this offers an amazing advantage)? Gym activities?

---------------------------------------------------
(By the Way... a "private lesson" can mean one student with one instructor, or two-four students with one instructor. The price will be the same no matter how many people in the lesson.)

(Another By the Way... Rushing to more difficult terrain than the beginner slope on day two, without an instructor with you, when you are beginners, is not advised. Getting "over-terrained" is not fun, and it can ruin a ski day with frustration ... or a whole vacation. Skiing with instructors assures you will be on terrain you can handle as your skills grow.)

(One more ... try on ski clothing back home in a shop that stocks such goods (Costco, REI, TJMax....). FInd what each of you likes, and what the sizing is like. Then look on Ebay for similar things. The savings can be huge.)

Welcome to the best family vacation activity on earth! You're going to love this.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
(Another By the Way... Rushing to more difficult terrain than the beginner slope on day two, without an instructor with you, when you are beginners, is not advised. Getting "over-terrained" is not fun, and it can ruin a ski day with frustration ... or a whole vacation. Skiing with instructors assures you will be on terrain you can handle as your skills grow.)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sponsor

Staff online