• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My wife grows some nice buds..,

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are pretty and all, but they need to be clipped. Not to smoke of course, but it will leaf out more right?

IMG_2898.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find basil to get tough and change flavor after they bud out. I like to keep the buds pruned off.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is sweet basil because it is picked before it buds. Once it goes to bud it is a little tuff and tastes different. It still can be dried and turned into flakes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is sweet basil because it is picked before it buds. Once it goes to bud it is a little tuff and tastes different. It still can be dried and turned into flakes.
We grow Basil every season, along with the perenial herb garden we grow with chives, oregano, rosemary and tarragon.
Our chives are about done for the season. Still some good tarragon rosemary and oregano.

As for Basil, @Philpug pulls leaves of it and freezes it while fresh. When he's cooking he takes a few basil leaves and throws them in the food he is cooking. The pungent basil aroma is incredible. Much better than dried.

Basil and parsley next to patio for easy access.
IMG_8364.jpeg

The perenial herb garden which I've posted in a few other threads about gardening and home projects.

IMG_8365.jpeg

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
A number of years ago I grew all sorts of herbs. You can dry them in the microwave. I still have rosemary from those days.

I agree with everyone, clip off the flowers before they get to the point yours are at.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A number of years ago I grew all sorts of herbs. You can dry them in the microwave. I still have rosemary from those days.

I agree with everyone, clip off the flowers before they get to the point yours are at.
Trust me, its much better to freeze basil. I'm not sure about rosemary, but I think anything that is an actual leaf freezes nicely and has a robust aroma when used direct from the freezer.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We grow Basil every season, along with the perenial herb garden we grow with chives, oregano, rosemary and tarragon.
Our chives are about done for the season. Still some good tarragon rosemary and oregano.

As for Basil, @Philpug pulls leaves of it and freezes it while fresh. When he's cooking he takes a few basil leaves and throws them in the food he is cooking. The pungent basil aroma is incredible. Much better than dried.

Basil and parsley next to patio for easy access.
View attachment 209593

The perenial herb garden which I've posted in a few other threads about gardening and home projects.

View attachment 209594
We have frozen the sweet basil leaves also, what I was suggesting about drying was for the leaves that are on the plant that has gone to buds.
We have grown our own oregano in the past and it was some special type developed at the Rutgers agricultural school. It keeps coming back year after year and talk about great aroma it is wonderful. In recent years it has slowed in what has grown back but I have neglected it all this year.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We pinch back our basil leaves every day this time of summer.

Where we live sometimes rosemary grows for 3 or years and then decides to die off over the winter.

We also have thyme, oregano, sage, dill, cilantro, mint, tarragon and chives. All are very easy to grow.

I'm growing weed for the first time this summer and it is starting to bud!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hey, any of you in zone 7a or higher having *good* luck with your small leaf (e.g. Cuban) style basils?

Greek through Purple Ruffles are easy, trivial even, but the small leaf and globe varieties have been total nightmares.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trust me, its much better to freeze basil. I'm not sure about rosemary, but I think anything that is an actual leaf freezes nicely and has a robust aroma when used direct from the freezer.
my spouse will chop up/processor various herb into a paste and toss them into ice cube trays. Also vac seals for the freezer leaves and such.

She companion plants Basil with I think Tarragon, they like one another. The plant most appreciated to help in cooking is mint, MJ loves her Mint Julips ....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s what I did but once thawed, it was just soggy.
We don't use it like fresh basil, and we don't thaw it, we just throw into things we're cooking. It smells so good when it hits the sauce.

Sponsor

Staff online