• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My shortlist for new cheater gs, your thoughts?

evr66

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, since my daughter "stole" my Dobermann GSR's and I'm starting to prefer a bit heavier stuff, looking for a new cheater GS.

Profile: tall 2m, 90-95 kgs, advanced level. Right now on piste mostly using Dyna FIS sl 165 and an (older model) Racetiger GSX (185/27m), both with plates, that kind of tools. For slush and soft snow enjoying a set of blades.

For training purposes looking for a ski in the 16m range, so a bit more versatile then the (lovely) racetigers

Shortlist so far:
1) wrt pro, but what a price.....
2) AtomicX9RS (really nice, but hard to get)
3) Deacon 72 Master
4) Fischer RC4 CT

Please, your thoughts, comparisons and opinions on these or other options

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
imho all of thoose are shorter radius than cheater GS, your looking at 15M radius skis, a GS is 30.

apart from that, yes all are very god options! owned nr 1 2 3, and skied nr 4 ;)

TS
E

evr66

Booting up
Skier
absolutely Right on the first , what s better name for this group?
How about a little details on the second? Main differences?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, since my daughter "stole" my Dobermann GSR's and I'm starting to prefer a bit heavier stuff, looking for a new cheater GS.

Profile: tall 2m, 90-95 kgs, advanced level. Right now on piste mostly using Dyna FIS sl 165 and an (older model) Racetiger GSX (185/27m), both with plates, that kind of tools. For slush and soft snow enjoying a set of blades.

For training purposes looking for a ski in the 16m range, so a bit more versatile then the (lovely) racetigers

Shortlist so far:
1) wrt pro, but what a price.....
2) AtomicX9RS (really nice, but hard to get)
3) Deacon 72 Master
4) Fischer RC4 CT

Please, your thoughts, comparisons and opinions on these or other options

Head eRace Pro should also be there

Petrus

Getting on the lift
Skier
absolutely Right on the first , what s better name for this group?
How about a little details on the second? Main differences?
In Italy we call this ski category: Multiturn

I think this indicates the ski is in between a GS and a SL, therefore suitable for both long and short turns

Salomon GS PRO is also missing, different appearance, but it's the brother of the Atomic X9RS

James

Out There
Instructor
Head e race pro is the nicest color.

I’m surprised @anders_nor hasn’t lobbied you into the Stockli GS. It’s only 18.7m at 182cm. So still quite a lot of shape.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Head e race pro is the nicest color.

I’m surprised @anders_nor hasn’t lobbied you into the Stockli GS. It’s only 18.7m at 182cm. So still quite a lot of shape.

I have not tried the new GS, Im kinda boikotting them, the old 185 had a very short radius (vs stated as you could really bend it) and was a superb cheater GS, the new? well hmmm..

as for skis, I think the most giggeling factor goes to WRT pro, most precise goes to X9RS, and easiest to ski in variable conditions is 72 master with its slight rocker.

my GF tends to steal my WRT pros, so I get to ski X9RS a lot, and 72 master a friend "stole" so.. yeah :)

all are absolutly superb skis. I dont think the fischer is quite there with the others.

what are you paying for them? I payed 1/3 for my X9RS of what I did for my WRT pro, same with 72 master

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not tried the new GS, Im kinda boikotting them, the old 185 had a very short radius (vs stated as you could really bend it) and was a superb cheater GS, the new? well hmmm..

as for skis, I think the most giggeling factor goes to WRT pro, most precise goes to X9RS, and easiest to ski in variable conditions is 72 master with its slight rocker.

my GF tends to steal my WRT pros, so I get to ski X9RS a lot, and 72 master a friend "stole" so.. yeah :)

all are absolutly superb skis. I dont think the fischer is quite there with the others.

what are you paying for them? I payed 1/3 for my X9RS of what I did for my WRT pro, same with 72 master

Yes, that’s the huge advantage of Atomic-you can find crazy deals on them.
I also paid for my Redsters FIS SL exactly a third of what Stockli FIS SL would send me back.

TS
E

evr66

Booting up
Skier
Pricing:

atomic hard to find, but will be around (eur) 1100 probably, deacon and fischer a little below that (700-900 range). Hmmm stockli pricing wrt pro probably way above what i’m willing to spend on a ski hahaha. Seen prices from 2k up

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep a lookout for the Nordica Dobermann Multigara. It is very similar in demeanor and capability to the X9rs and can do pretty much any turn shape with no fuss, and it has a very high speed limit.

I coach on the X9 and having tried it side-by-side with the Nordica Multigara the latter is a great ski - underappreciated.

And compared to the Head e Race Pro? I vastly prefer the Atomic and Nordica. It could be that my test pair of Heads had a questionable tune (that was a big issue at last spring's testing events, one that I pointed out to Head) but the Atomic and Nordica were more versatile weapons.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pricing:

atomic hard to find, but will be around (eur) 1100 probably, deacon and fischer a little below that (700-900 range). Hmmm stockli pricing wrt pro probably way above what i’m willing to spend on a ski hahaha. Seen prices from 2k up

Ah no, WRT Pros are not north of 2k, price from Stöckli web store is 1869 eur with the good bindings. Still lots of money tho

X9RS could be found at about 1000 eur but most places are unobtanium.

Head ERace pro with the good bindings are a bit below 1k eur

etc

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Take a look at the Kastle RX11. I don't have any experience on the others but enjoyed the heck out of a few runs on the RX.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I still have a Deacon Master 76 that needs a home!!

TS
E

evr66

Booting up
Skier
Keep a lookout for the Nordica Dobermann Multigara. It is very similar in demeanor and capability to the X9rs and can do pretty much any turn shape with no fuss, and it has a very high speed limit.

I coach on the X9 and having tried it side-by-side with the Nordica Multigara the latter is a great ski - underappreciated.

And compared to the Head e Race Pro? I vastly prefer the Atomic and Nordica. It could be that my test pair of Heads had a questionable tune (that was a big issue at last spring's testing events, one that I pointed out to Head) but the Atomic and Nordica were more versatile weapons.
Will check that one also! Have a set of dobermanns gsr but my daughter took them, multigara is a bit “more ski”? Think i outgrew the gsr a little.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will check that one also! Have a set of dobermanns gsr but my daughter took them, multigara is a bit “more ski”? Think i outgrew the gsr a little.

The Multigara is more versatile: it's a SL sidecut in front of the binding toe and a GS sidecut behind the heel. It has a lot of power for a non-racing ski and more versatility than the GSR, for sure.

It was one of my favorites in last year's testing, hands down.

And yes, it seems I was the only SkiTalk tester (that I'm aware of) to take these for a spin. But that's my nature: I gravitate toward narrower, more race oriented boards that most here - especially skiing in the east where soft snow and off-piste are rarities in my daily skiing life.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And yes, it seems I was the only SkiTalk tester (that I'm aware of) to take these for a spin. But that's my nature: I gravitate toward narrower, more race oriented boards that most here - especially skiing in the east where soft snow and off-piste are rarities in my daily skiing life.
@Philpug makes me get on the fat ones!:roflmao:The RX11 was one of the few <70 I got on last test season.

Sponsor