• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Mont Ste Anne and Warren Jobbit Ski Congress.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well I've been back for a week, so time to unpack the Congress.

Warren Jobbitt started his "snowsports academy" to fill a hole where good skiers, not necessarily instructors, could get some top notch instruction. He has numerous 1 or 2 day clinics across Canada. But he hold 2 "ski congresses" a season. 1 in the west (Sun Peaks) and 1 in the east (Mont Ste. Anne)

For these Congresses he brings in some of the top instructors from Canada and Europe. I attended the one in Mont Ste. Anne. We had some of Canada's best L4's instructors and some top notch people from Europe. CSIA members will recognize, Betsy Linnell, JF Beaulieu, Casey Bouius, Warren Jobbitt. And from ACA Pierre Ruel. European's - Rasam Lundly, Patrica Batz, Valintina Batz, Agnete Svidt and Tomass Monics.

So my friend got a group of 6 together. 4 ladies and 2 men. K has a L2, S has a L2, M has a L2 and working on her L3, H is a great skier from the UK, Simone is a patroller and me L2. It was a great group. We were one of the larger groups.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Day 1 with Warren Jobbitt.

We started Monday morning with the man himself, Warren. Warren is dressed in his "ski school" uniform. Baby blue and pink. So we took off skiing so he could assess.

Drill 1. As you complete the turn, lower the downhill shoulder, squat and roll the edges. Simple enough. I'm not sure "squat" is the right word, but this drill works.

Drill 2. We worked on turn shape and timing. And moving the femur to edge more.

Drill 3 - video review. And as always, you think you're doing something.....yah, NOT!

We then did a lot of skiing to incorporate everything into our skiing

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Day 2 - Agnete Svidt - Danish Ski School Ah, isn't Denmark kind of flat?

Continuing on with Warren's drills we worked on edging skills. Some of us (yah me!!) like to park and ride. So the idea was to release and add in the edging slowly...

Again a video just before lunch. I could really see the edge set then....nothing. So edge gradually.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Day 3 - RACE DAY - Pierre Ruel

Seriously, we set up brushes and mini-gates. I don't race. I might ski fast, but having to go round an object just isn't me.
This was FUN!

Pierre was working again on gliding and edging. And more importantly.....looking ahead! We were tasked with doing about 8 brushes that were really close together on a flat slope. The idea was to only look at the last one and go. I missed the last brush, dammit!!

I did well in the GS mini-gates. I think the biggest thing, was never did I understand how to look at a race course. It was going out there and around the gates. Pierre explained about looking ahead and not at the gate you are at. So similar to moguls. Plan your line using at least 3 bumps.

Again more video.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Day 4 - Tomass from Austria

I don't know if I was tired or just didn't click with Tomass. Ste Anne isn't all that big. Especially the north side. Doing 4 drills in 1 runs was not good. I got to point that I didn't know why I was doing something. I was so confused.

Again, video before lunch, shown to person at lunch. I was told to square up my skis. This put me into a position where I couldn't turn right. Tomass tells me you're not looking where you want to. I can't if I'm squaring up. I think the drill was meant for someone else, but we all got it.

Not my best day, or I don't get Austrian teaching techniques.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
All in all, I'm looking forward to next year. With a friend that has a place in Ste. Anne it was comfortable and a lot fun.

Oh - On Friday we took H into Quebec City for Carnival. Only problem was it was raining and the ice sculptures were melting. But good food and wine made it a good time.

Sponsor

Staff online