• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Minimalist Chainguide?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
New to a 1x setup this summer. In the past I've always had a front derailleur. Last week I lost my chain off the front during a rough, fast downhill on a large group ride and ended up getting dropped (temporarily ... headed off the crew with a hypotenuse move). As a result I'm considering the possibility of installing some kind of minimal chainguide. On the other hand, it's only happened a couple times in a couple of months. Good idea or overreaction? Specific suggestions?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I'd take a look at possible causes such as a slightly long chain or a derailleur that has the clutch 'off'. Press fit bb, right? No ISCG? Single ring only... fitting a chainguide is going to get interesting...

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With a nw ring, never happened, and i ride some rough trails

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Looking at the 4.5 on the inter webs, I think you are SOL. No ISCG tabs, no FD mount of any kind, and no seat tube that you can use. I think your only choices are make sure you have a good NW chainring, make sure your clutch is "on", and then make sure your clutch isn't broken. They do break and can be replaced rather easily.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As noted by @epic, you are probably SOL with the 4.5.

Check chain length. As a rule of thumb, you want the RD cage at about a 45 degree angle in low gear. LOTS of bikes are delivered with a slightly over-long chain.

Two other things:

1. You can get in the habit of shifting to a lower gear when you are doing long, coasting downhills. This adds RD tension, though it doesn't help as much on the new clutch RDs.

2. You can increase the clutch tension on some (all?) SRAM RDs a bit with a T45 socket in the "knuckle" of the RD. They usually cover this fitting with a plastic cap. Go softly. An eighth of turn makes a difference. You can do the same thing on Shimano RDs by removing the plastic cover. From there, I forget the details, but surely there is an interweb video out there somewhere.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online