• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

mhirsc

Booting up
Skier
Shiffrin’s Flachau finishes through the years:

2013: 1st

2014: 1st

2015: 3rd

2017: 3rd

2018: 1st

2019: 2nd

2020: 3rd

2021: 1st

2023: 2nd

2024: 1st
This is especially impressive considering she doesn’t particularly like night races, if I remember correctly, because she likes to go to bed early/likes her sleep

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you include 2016 and 2022 in your average? Still, pretty amazing
No, not sure how to average those. Maybe drops it to 1.9. :D

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too bad, damm! At least she was up and walking, albeit using her pole as a crutch and not putting weight on her one leg. Hope it's just a sprain.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Sounds like a sprain, no tears. She probably won’t be racing for a bit.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It was a weird crash.. like something happened 150 feet or so before that gate having her unable to set up for that left turn. hooked outside edge of inside ski .. foot(left foot)?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Crashed in the downhill run. Helicoptered out to the hospital. Knee injury, but nothing life threatening
May not be life threatening but what about career threatening?

4ster

Instructor
May not be life threatening but what about career threatening?
I think it will threaten her mental game especially in speed for awhile. Let’s hope it doesn’t set her back in tech.
It could also have her re-evaluate things and in that respect it could effect her career.
Seemed like she was pretty sore & she will miss the training she is accustomed to so could be more than a couple weeks. All speculation :huh:

Cat1210

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can see her skipping most of the rest of the downhills and maybe the super g, depending on what her overall lead looks like…really think she just wants to win the overall and doesn’t care so much about the margin. I would bet she goes to Kvitfjell though…she’s trained there a lot with Kilde and the Norwegians and apparently likes it a lot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There is nothing left for her to prove to anyone but herself. I was thinking she was doing more speed events simply because that's where she has not dominated.. YET. I just hope she can still do what she wants and have fun doing it. Her career was nothing short of amazing no matter how the rest of it plays out.

maple19

Getting on the lift
Skier
Given the number of speed races left on the calendar and that she is not racing in Kronplatz, I don’t think she will be able to win the overall if she skips all of the speed weekends left this season. The GS globe is likely out of reach now because of Kronplatz and the SL globe is assured provided she races at least one more SL this year. The only thing really in flux then is the overall, which as we know is always her biggest goal. So I would think that they will at least try to get back to racing speed this season. Just SG would make a lot of sense IMO.

I think her mental game was already affected to be honest. She did not look comfortable even before the crash yesterday and she struggled in training earlier this week, even though Cortina is a venue she is very familiar with and she has historically done well at. Maybe it was simply because she hasn’t skied speed since early December, but I also have to wonder if Kilde’s crash played a part.

4ster

Instructor
I also have to wonder if Kilde’s crash played a part.
I wasn’t going to say it because it is speculation but me thinks that had a lot to do with it. It looked to me that when she realized she was in trouble all she wanted to do was safely bail out. A split moment of indecision cost her and the fence became the only option. Again, pure speculation.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like that she does speed events. I'm probably of the opposite view that she has zero left to prove in SL/GS and should focus on Super G and some downhills. That said, crashes at speed probably have much graver consequences.

I'll be honest, if I were in here boots, I'd probably quit after 100 wins and just free ski the rest of my life. But she's probably known nothing but competition so I imagine she'll stay on the WT until either A) she wants to start a family (not that pregnancy is a career-ender of course!) or B) her body breaks down. I'd really not like to see option B a la Lindsay Vonn.

Sponsor

Staff online