• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Memorial Day

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No party here, just a small cookout with good food. Father and grandfather are buried in Arlington, dad's passing was combat related, long term lingering PTSD related. Very grateful to all who serve and defend us. Many die on the battlefield, many more die years or decades later as direct or indirect result of the physical and mental trauma suffered. There are no words to explain the horrors our combat vets have to endure. Glad when they return safe, but many are never "safe and sound" ever again.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here in Boulder the tradition is to run the Bolder Boulder 10k which ends in Folsom Stadium at CU and holds a moving Memorial Day ceremony. Today I roadie my bike in to cheer for friends and be there for the ceremony. There were a couple of truly moving moments that I haven't seen before. First, a group of people ran in wearing full black Lycra suits and each carrying the flag of one of the military branches. The second was when a WWII vet was playing the national anthem on his trumpet but struggling a bit. Traditionally at this event there is no singing during the anthem but the crowd sensed his struggle and joined in with singing to help him along. Unfortunately a thunderstorm was moving in so we had to bail just before the skydivers started dropping in to the stadium.

Here's the trumpet player's story from an article last year. He was one of 11 from his unit of 70 to survive the Battle of the Bulge. http://www.dailycamera.com/2016-bol...566/trumpeter-91-plays-pride-those-who-served

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have fond and amazing memories of spending time with my grandparents in the cemetery during Memorial weekend. I learned a lot about my family heritage during those long walks through headstones.

Peace to those who gave it all.

Sponsor

Staff online