• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My guess is that you'd see a huge shift in population southward, away from snow.
One way to get glimpse of that is this page:

You can move the slides along the bottom to see various years. The bars represent what percent of the population at the time lived above or below, and left or right, of the lines.

It's easier to see changes if you move the slider yourself. But here's 1960:

1705536971005.png

And 2010 (newest data):

1705537030341.png

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
The NBA, NFL and MLS pretty much exist in North America - I think a market of North America and Europe is pretty sufficient for a sport to thrive. The economic demographic of skiers is pretty similar to tennis and it is a sought after demographic. The point isn't just female/male - the sport has had many break thru athletes like Bode that could have taken the sport to another level. Look at what happened to the NBA with a handful of athletes. Skiing pretty much looks just like it did when I started watching in the 1980s. Same events, same places, same formats with a few changes. The sport needs to make some major changes if it doesn't want to stay a very very niche sport. In some ways they have regressed. When you have a company like Red Bull that should be courted but instead is constantly being hassled by the FIS because of its rules you have to wonder. Or when a young star like Lucas Brathan retires because of the federation rules that limit his marketing and sponsorship rights did the FIS stepup and call for change?

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d love to see Netflix do a doc series about skiing like it’s done on Formula 1, tennis and the Tour de France. Maybe it’d gain us new fans? On Ed Drake’s podcast the new head of FIS TV said they’re thinking of new ways to enliven the broadcasts, with behind-the-scenes footage for example. I’m sure some people will think it’s pandering or whatever, but I’d totally watch that stuff.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been enjoying Picabo Street as a commentator. She's getting better and better. I also liked the analysis of some line choices from the 2023 edition. They should do more of that.

When they cover speed events she is in her element, for sure! And she comes across as a coach, which can be a bit wonky but she's fairly spot-on with her analysis of slalom.

As she gets more comfortable in the commentary box she'll really flourish. I appreciate NBC adding her to the roster - and her renewed embrace of her ski racing past, present, and future. It seems to work well for her.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And she comes across as a coach, which can be a bit wonky but she's fairly spot-on with her analysis of slalom.
I felt that more in her first commentaries but I think she's pulled away from that a bit in the last couple of races, or is finding a way to translate wonk-talk to language that's accessible to more viewers. She's hitting a good balance, I like it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
^Agreed, really nice coverage today. Not overdone or sensationalized just called the race with some good observations.
I don’t think Shiffrin was even mentioned :ogcool:.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d love to see Netflix do a doc series about skiing like it’s done on Formula 1, tennis and the Tour de France. Maybe it’d gain us new fans? On Ed Drake’s podcast the new head of FIS TV said they’re thinking of new ways to enliven the broadcasts, with behind-the-scenes footage for example. I’m sure some people will think it’s pandering or whatever, but I’d totally watch that stuff.
Well, they are about to do a series on rugby

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still trying to recover from France's collapse at the last world cup…
I know this is off topic in skiing forum but losing by 1 point in the quarterfinals to the eventual champions is hardly a collapse, there was little to separate France, Ireland, NZ, SA and it was unfortunate the draw meant that 2 of those would be eliminated in the QF round. Slightly more on topic, Amazon Prime had a similar series on the English rugby premiership last year which they did not renew after the first season

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know this is off topic in skiing forum but losing by 1 point in the quarterfinals to the eventual champions is hardly a collapse, there was little to separate France, Ireland, NZ, SA and it was unfortunate the draw meant that 2 of those would be eliminated in the QF round. Slightly more on topic, Amazon Prime had a similar series on the English rugby premiership last year which they did not renew after the first season
Objectively yes, you're right, but France's trajectory the rugby world cup was widely interpreted as a collapse in France. You can't dismiss the impact of crushed hopes.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Peacock pulled off a corker today. I was watching the replay of run 2 of the men's slalom this morning and in the middle they cut to a pic of Shiffrin and Steve Schlanger said something about catching up with Shiffrin, "who has just won today's slalom." What the hell? Why spoil a race that was taking place at pretty much the same time???

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What the hell? Why spoil a race that was taking place at pretty much the same time???

Because NBC Universal DGAF about SkiAndSnowboard.live - that's the long-and-short of it. They assume that most viewers don't have a SASL account, as accurate or inaccurate as that may be.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Because NBC Universal DGAF about SkiAndSnowboard.live - that's the long-and-short of it. They assume that most viewers don't have a SASL account, as accurate or inaccurate as that may be.
Well, that, and the fact that in general they are completely oblivious to the concept of spoilers. As is evidenced on their own apps and sites.

4ster

Instructor
Was it just my crappy streaming but the final 8 were totally out of focus?

4ster

Instructor
Peacock pulled off a corker today. I was watching the replay of run 2 of the men's slalom this morning and in the middle they cut to a pic of Shiffrin and Steve Schlanger said something about catching up with Shiffrin, "who has just won today's slalom." What the hell? Why spoil a race that was taking place at pretty much the same time???
Of course cuz even the men’s races are all about Mikaela Shiffrin ;)

don’t get me wrong, I am Shiffrin’s biggest fan but these guys need to give it a rest. Luckily for us she has learned to deal with it, not sure I have.

Sponsor

Staff online