• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Maverick Mountain

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I love small mom and pop ski areas and had the pleasure to go ski one yesterday. In this case Maverick Mountain in Polaris Montana. After skiing Big Sky on Thursday, the differences could not have been more stark. Where Big Sky was EXPENSIVE, had parking a long tram ride from the lifts and had mediocre snow quality at best, Maverick had parking 50 yards from the lift, $36 dollar lift tickets, good inexpensive food and beer and a homey vibe that made you want to hang out there with all the locals.

And the skiing was great. The snow quality was very good, the runs diverse and quite a bit of fun. I am not a tree skier, but the trees seemed to be almost untouched, so if you are, there are unlimited powder stashed available to you for weeks after a storm. There is only one fixed double lift with a mid exit station and absolutely NO lift line. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the top but that is fine with me. A high speed lift would only result in my legs turning to jello much earlier than they already did.

If you find yourself in this area, hit this place for a day. These type of ski areas need to stay in business. Local families with kids can afford to ski here, where they just can't at a place like Big Sky that charges $130+ a day for lift tickets and $20 plus per person for lunch. I had a lot more fun skiing Maverick than I did Big Sky at a third the price. A real bargain in my books.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online