• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MA moguls

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MA please.
Copper Mtn - Brennan’s Grin, rated black but probably more of a double blue, last run of a 28k vertical day
Conditions - soft spring slush bumps
Intent - easy, low impact, controlled short turns
Skis - Liberty V76
Boots - Head Raptor WCR4
Video taken by my 13yo who didn’t zoom in. Sorry.
Thanks!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice skiing!

Work on keeping your hands up and out front, and consider shorter poles.

Also, think about keeping your skis on the snow, forcing your tips down on the backside of bumps a little more when the troughs get deeper.

Are you at Copper today?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for posting this. Its always good to see feedback like this and see what others are working on when you're working on it too.

I was working on my bump skiing this winter and am feeling a little stronger, but not as strong as I hope to be.
One thing the instructor told me when I was at Crested Butte was that my hands needed to be more active.
My inconsistent pole plant and hesitation was making me shop for turns. When I think about active hands my feet move quicker.

Also instead of thinking about hands forward, think more about having your elbows in front of your torso.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Prosper - nice skiing.

Patrick Deneen... his skiing is my favorite. Nice explanation.

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice skiing!

Work on keeping your hands up and out front, and consider shorter poles.

Also, think about keeping your skis on the snow, forcing your tips down on the backside of bumps a little more when the troughs get deeper.

Are you at Copper today?
Haven't seen this video until now. Looks like focusing on my hands could be really helpful for me since it sometimes seems like I'm angrily stabbing the mountain. Will definitely be working on keeping my hands and pole plants quieter.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lots of good stuff happening there, Prosper. If your goal is shorter turns, and ability to stay in the zipper line, please consider some things to work on, that I've found important in my personal journey.

o Just start the new turn sooner. A lot of issues in mogul skiing stem from lack of quickness. Things move really fast in the bumps. It's rare that anyone will be making the transition too soon. In general, the point of transition should actually be before you get to the top of the bump. Otherwise, you can find yourself shooting across the hill. Just do it. You'll start to get used to it in time.

o Recognize the nature of the blocking pole plant, and practice it. Even if you achieve 100% upper-lower body separation, the action of the legs means that you develop overall angular momentum in a turn. The purpose of a blocking pole plant is to stop that rotation, and promote starting rotation in the opposite direction. It works. It's a very active and muscular move. As everything happens so quickly, this action of the poles can be really important. Note that competitive mogul skiers take a very direct line, so that less angular momentum develops in their turns. We mere mortals typically develop more turning action.

o Practice turning on every part of the bump. Until you get into the extreme cliff and canyon type bumps, it's possible. As Tricia said, "My inconsistent pole plant and hesitation was making me shop for turns. When I think about active hands my feet move quicker." We want to get away from that shopping for turns, and develop a consistent rhythm. Real world bumps aren't consistent or neatly laid out, so that ability to turn anywhere is important.

Focus on these outcomes should help you achieve the movements tball discussed--"hands up and out front" and "keeping your skis on the snow, forcing your tips down on the backside of bumps."

Practicing dolphin turns can be fun, too, and mixing "dolphiny" movements into your bump skiing will be a definite plus.

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Lucky you to still be able to ski this late in the season!

You're making it through the bumps - the opportunity I see is to get more grip so that you can get more steering in bumps to control your line. This will move you from reactive to proactive.

Outside of bumps, you can create more edge grip and control if you get on the outside ski at the top of the turn, and stay on the outside ski throughout the turn. The mechanics you're using now are causing you to move your shoulders in, which moves your balance to the inside. And as a result your turn shape is locked (you don't have much freedom to change the shape). For your first move, instead of thinking "move in", think soften the inside leg, and "flip" the skis edges. (Yes, flip is aggressive! Try it.)

For an external cue, ski stork turns (balancing on the outside ski from the top of the turn, and only keeping the inside tip on snow). Once you can ski a stork turn starting at the top of the arc through the bottom, with a clean arc without skidding, you'll be sorted.

You can also use your outside pole as a guide - If it comes off the snow, you are probably leaning in. The last cue: if your first move is "in", it will feel like a fight to get back on the outside ski. Once you can start your turn through lightening without moving in, it's low effort to stay on the outside ski.

When in the bumps, I'd echo the recommendation to create a strong, rhythmic blocking/stabilizing pole plant. At the same time you'll want to start engaging your core, and initially aim to keep your core pointed more down the fall line. Engaging your core and using a blocking pole plant stabilizes your upper body so that your legs are free to turn.

Sponsor

Staff online