• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's play Internet Doctor!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Knee's are incredibly complex as are injuries. An experienced orthopedic doctor would figure most out quickly without needing radiologic imaging by asking a few questions and then moving, hand feeling, and bending one's knee various ways. My suggestion in this era beyond asking folks herein is to use the web to diagnose.

Last edited:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An experienced orthopedic doctor would figure most out quickly without needing radiologic imaging by asking a few questions and then moving, hand feeling, and bending one's knee various ways.
Yes, a detailed history and exam can provide most of the information needed to make a pretty good educated guess at what is going on. However, I’ve never seen an orthopedic surgeon not do x-rays prior to seeing a patient even for the most minor injuries or conditions. The x-ray provides some background information to start with like if there’s any broken bones or significant arthritis or signs of soft tissue swelling.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Something I've noticed the past couple times out is that after skiing a couple hours, the walk back to the car is painful when I get to the steps. My left knee does not like going up the steps in boots carrying gear. I have to go up two feet at a time then next step.. Steps going down on the way to the lifts aren't as challenging. I haven't fallen or strained anything almost falling that I can remember. I have tweaked knees and been sore a week or so a couple times eons ago, but this difficulty is new, within the past two or three years. I chalk that up to getting old sucks.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s an acl. I did mine forward twisting in. Then was missed diagnosed by an doc and an ortho. No mri as they were expensive, and they were “sure”. Three years later, the knee just gave out in the middle of a turn. Tore the meniscus. Fixed that and they saw there was a torn acl “for some time” Yes, 3 years. This happened 30 yrs ago.

Meniscus damage can be worse in the long run than acl. At least the acl can be fixed. Likely you’ve aged out of whatever that meniscus fix is. What is this curing a meniscus through pt?

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@Fuller was semi-crushing in the semi-power today!

The knee appears to be coming around.
Emphasis on semi but yeah, I do seem to be getting back to normal. I gave it 6 days off which didn't please me too much but I didn't miss anything special. After that, I skied for about 3 hours on some easy groomers and needed another day off as it felt pretty tight afterwards. Today was "good for you" snow which is not good for your knees but I feel pretty good this evening. We should have decent conditions for the next week so I'm glad to be able to take advantage of it.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmm, sounds somewhat like my knee. About 5 years ago I fell at SR. I felt a pop, but nothing hurt. I got up and finished the day on easy runs. Only when I took my boots off did I figure out that my knee didn't want to straighten out. Didn't matter in a ski boot. Dr. appointment when I got home. Follow up with his PA for an ortho referral. Ortho manipulated my knee, but said I wasn't in pain and my insurance likely wouldn't pay for an MRI, there was no reason for the limping, just go walk and stop limping. There wasn't instability though. In time I stopped limping. And changed to a different PCP. But this past year when I went over the handlebars, there was no pop, no pain, but same knee.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meniscus damage can be worse in the long run than acl. At least the acl can be fixed. Likely you’ve aged out of whatever that meniscus fix is. What is this curing a meniscus through pt?
Meniscus damage with meniscectomy leads to degenerative arthritis earlier than it would have otherwise occurred. The meniscus is highly avascular and generally has very poor ability to heal if damaged especially for those who are middle aged or older. If someone has an acute meniscus tear and is younger than around 40, an orthopedic surgeon might elect to try to repair the meniscus rather than remove the portion that is torn. This could prevent early arthritis. The risk is if the meniscus repair is not successful another likely arthroscopic surgery will be needed to remove the torn meniscus.

There is no “curing” a meniscus tear through PT. Sometimes with smaller tears, the knee strengthening done through PT can take away some of the mechanical stress on the tear and pain can improve. However, a torn meniscus can get aggravated be certain knee movements and is at higher risk of worsening the tear.

Sponsor

Staff online