• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Intercostals or rib... out for a short time (I hope)

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Surviving 20 days in the actual mountains, managed to crash at 55 km/h on my local 91m vertical hill on Saturday. I was hopping a roller and trying to swap edges in midair but from what I can tell, I did not achieve that, instead exploding. Bruised hip, wrist, hand, but the ribs were pretty sore on the left side. Was recovering OK after lots of ice, but then yesterday I had the first sneeze, which was accompanied by some sort of snapping feeling (probably stuff moving around over inflamed tissue) and then my first ever back-muscle spasm for 45 minutes! Wow that was an experience!

Anyway things are sore right now. :) Doesn't hurt enough for a broken rib, likely. I see my physio on Friday. Supposed to be having the trip of the year at Sun peaks in 12 days... wish me Wolverine-style healing factor! In and out of bed sucks :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hoping you recover quickly!

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a rib muscle strain. While it can be quite painful, it's rarely dangerous. Sadly, it usually takes 2-4 weeks to heal completely and maybe longer depending on your age and activity level. Make sure you take 10 slow deep breaths 3-4 times a day to fill up your lungs and prevent pneumonia.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Sounds like a rib muscle strain. While it can be quite painful, it's rarely dangerous. Sadly, it usually takes 2-4 weeks to heal completely and maybe longer depending on your age and activity level. Make sure you take 10 slow deep breaths 3-4 times a day to fill up your lungs and prevent pneumonia.
I know the SkiTalk forum trends towards ... vintage participants. Good news is I'm quite-to-very-active and for a little while still sub 50, and expect the strength training has helped. But yeah, 2-4wks seems much more reasonable than "immediate bounce back". And thanks for the pneumonia lookout---have been doing that and I think pneumonia would make this present condition feel like the best time ever. I see my physio this morning in a few hours!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm just getting over pneumonia myself. There seems to be much more of it lately for whatever reason, more than I remember historically. Maybe I'm just older and more attentive. I rarely get sick so it was a bit of a shock. So yeah get outside for some brisk walks and keep those lungs inflated.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've been awaiting the always entertaining, now annual, "Let's correct Yepow's skiing" thread over in the Ski School forum. Please get well and don't disappoint us.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Crash result: Pelvis displaced up an inch on left side, left SI joint locked as a result, left radius was immobile, extensive bruising in left lat and intercostals, ribs bruised. AND, the excruciating sneeze and "snap" I felt on Tuesday followed by back spasms was very likely things going BACK INTO place--ribs likely not organized correctly for 48h after crash. That physio was free (*sob*)

Full recovery will take a while
1f642.png
hopefully feeling well enough to do a little cruising in a couple weeks!

@Fuller I think I'm getting to be a better skier, slowly! Will have to get some MA next time I'm with someone willing to film :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Crash result: Pelvis displaced up an inch on left side, left SI joint locked as a result, left radius was immobile, extensive bruising in left lat and intercostals, ribs bruised. AND, the excruciating sneeze and "snap" I felt on Tuesday followed by back spasms was very likely things going BACK INTO place--ribs likely not organized correctly for 48h after crash. That physio was free (*sob*)

1f642.png

@Fuller I think I'm getting to be a better skier, slowly! Will have to get some MA next time I'm with someone willing to film :)
Yeah, those first unplanned "realignments" are some of the most painful things I've ever felt, including rotator cuff recovery. Unreal. Even a full two months after breaking the rib it still hurts to sneeze or cough when lying down. No problem when standing, and nowhere near as painful. I'm pretty sure the rib has healed where it broke but I think the cartilage was also damaged and that takes longer.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

1f642.png

So sorry to hear about your painful injury. Heal well...

Sponsor

Staff online