• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I didn't know skis could rust

Dixie Flatline

Booting up
Skier
After hauling my skis back and forth every weekend for a few weeks I noticed that the edges have got all rusty. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or something I should be doing, to prevent this? Is it a problem?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
After hauling my skis back and forth every weekend for a few weeks I noticed that the edges have got all rusty. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or something I should be doing, to prevent this? Is it a problem?

Hi, yes, the edges rust if left wet. The best thing you can do is to bring an old bath towel and dry them after skiing, and then a quick pass through the edges at home before storing. You can buy a gummy stone online and remove superficial rust. You definitely don't want that rust to start getting deeper into the metal.

In any case, skis' edges need to be filed with a diamond stone every N ski days (I do it every 3 or so, since I do it myself at home, but even every 10 or 20 should be fine). This removes any impurities on the surface and sharpens the edges for a better skiing performance. But this is not your immediate concern.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In addition to the above, if you store them someplace humid/damp (like some people's garages or basements) you can get a little rust just from that. Personally, I keep mine in a closet inside the house where it's warm and dry.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
One of these -- https://www.utahskigear.com/products/swix-gummy-stone-blue-extra-hard - and a little elbow grease will erase the rust. Use it like you would an eraser.

That said, you might dull your edges somewhat by the time you're done scrubbing and that gets into a whole 'nother topic about how to re-sharpen them. Sharpening and maintaining edges isn't "hard" by any means, but there is a certain investment in tools to do it "correctly".

If you don't want to get into the whole "ski tuning" scene, then it's probably easier to just take them to the local shop and have them do it. And, as said above, bring a towel and dry them off after you're done for the day. Prevention is easier than the cure in this instance.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I offered to do a tune up on a co-worker's skis a few years ago. He throws his skis into a roof top carrier and they sit there until the next outing. The water and rust had penetrated under the p-tex and started delaminating the base. As @Mendieta said, bring an old towel and dry them off.

If you're using a roof rack and the skis are exposed to road salt, that's another issue. In that case, as soon as you get home wash them with plain water and dry them. And get binding covers...

Racerxxx

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Dying them off and keeping them dry is the key. I've had good luck wiping them down at ski hill and applying f4 liquid on the edges. Once home remove straps and dry yet again .

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm currently at a friends and we have tech here that first tuned up mine and another person staying with us. Now they only need to be maintained. ( And I'm going to be out a s$%t load of money after I buy some new stuff. I love those Sidecut stones!!) Rust can be removed with a gummy stone as mentioned. But a quick pass with the diamond stone is better.

But having our skis ready every morning has been wonderful. I have edges I can trust.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have found that some edges rust more easily than others. Depends on the edges alloy composition

Reactions: mdf

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
+1 to all the recommendations so far, towel, gummy stone, diamond stone file. FYI if you do not take care of this and the skis stay damp with rust for too long your edge will get pitted from rust. Growing up in Alberta where it is cold and dry we never had this issue, but in the PNW our routine when we get home from the hill is dry skis with a towel, gummy stone and areas showing rust and if needed polish with a diamond stone file. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you ogsmile

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If the rust is superficial and only recently happened, sometimes you can just use a scott nylon scrubber to buff it off. If its more than that, you'll need to use a gummy stone as suggested above.
Keeping the skis in a warm dry place makes a big difference.
(as noted above)

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do edges rust, but none of the other metal parts? Assuming the answer is something like stainless doesn’t have the hardness required to survive long.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Why do edges rust, but none of the other metal parts? Assuming the answer is something like stainless doesn’t have the hardness required to survive long.
Edges are steel,they rust. Other skiing metals are Aluminum, no rust. (Ski poles, boot buckles, ski tip protectors, etc.)

Steel edges could be rust proofed with plating or coating, but that would not survive edge sharpening.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Ski manufacturers discovered that some folks were keeping their skis for decades. They had to do something to make people buy new skis, so the made the edges rust quicker by incorporating a catalyst into the alloy. ogwink

Sponsor