• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How un-flat is too un-flat

Dixie Flatline

Booting up
Skier
I have a set of kids skis and the base is really cupped... I noticed when I was trying to wax them. Is this a flaw or deliberate? If it's a flaw, how serious is it and can it be corrected?

Attachments

• PXL_20240213_020604833~2.jpg
    PXL_20240213_020604833~2.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 69

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I have a set of kids skis and the base is really cupped... I noticed when I was trying to wax them. Is this a flaw or deliberate? If it's a flaw, how serious is it and can it be corrected?

Yeah that's a flaw, and it can be fixed by having a base stone grind. Edge high bases are extremely hard to ski, because the edges will lock into a turn. Definitely have those done at a ski shop, and you can get the edges reset as well, which is good for ski performance.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's definitely a flaw, but I don't think base grind could even fix the degree it is concaved.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it like that all along the ski or just near the tip?
To correct that you'll loose a lot of edge...

This.

I had similar, although not as pronounced issue with my CT 3.0. Made sure edge is flush with the base and ski them as they are. Zero problems.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thats pretty bad. If they didn’t cost too much get rid of them. I can already hear the shop tech saying “I’ll see what I can do.”

TS
D

Dixie Flatline

Booting up
Skier
Sounds like these will be donated at the end of the season. Anyone suggest some good, cheap, all-mountain jr skis in 140cm range, for Idaho skiing which might include some powder?

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like these will be donated at the end of the season. Anyone suggest some good, cheap, all-mountain jr skis in 140cm range, for Idaho skiing which might include some powder?
Lots of well priced kids skis on Evo.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
For a wide adult ski with cupping in the shovel, if the bases are flat within an inch or so of the edges, that's OK without removing too much edge steel. For a child's ski, maybe a half inch of flat next to the edges, or a bit more than that. These absolutely need work. They need to be flattened and structured.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Of our various kids skis, he Soulrider J seemed the best with good camber and a nice sidecut with a little rocker. Not sure it rally matters much. I forget whom we gave or sold them to otherwise I would ask if they are available. We do have some Mantra Jr but they are 159 cm.

rossm

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A ski tune shop with automated equipment can do a complete PTEX base fill, then grind. This will only remove minimal edge.

Sponsor