• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How can it be so hard to find goggles for $300?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I've spent hours on the innernets, and I can't find a single pair of yellow lens prescription goggles. Most of the time you can't even tell for sure if the color you specify is for the lens or the frame. The closest thing I found was a yellow lens POC Fovea, but you have to buy an extra lens to get the yellow one, and I can't tell for sure if the prescription insert is a POC specific thing or a universal one size fits none of them.
What's the best solution for flat light prescription goggles?

dm

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I've spent hours on the innernets, and I can't find a single pair of yellow lens prescription goggles. Most of the time you can't even tell for sure if the color you specify is for the lens or the frame. The closest thing I found was a yellow lens POC Fovea, but you have to buy an extra lens to get the yellow one, and I can't tell for sure if the prescription insert is a POC specific thing or a universal one size fits none of them.
What's the best solution for flat light prescription goggles?

dm
try sportrx
https://www.sportrx.com/blog/how-to-buy-ski-goggles-snowboarding-goggles-the-ultimate-buying-guide/

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I found sportrx, but they only do generic lens inserts. I don't think that what I want. I'm also really surprised that yellow lens aren't more common, and that it's so difficult to be sure what the actual lens color is.

dm

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I found sportrx, but they only do generic lens inserts. I don't think that what I want. I'm also really surprised that yellow lens aren't more common, and that it's so difficult to be sure what the actual lens color is.

dm
Out of curiosity, why are you so adamant that you want yellow lens?

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm developing cataracts, so I want a high VLT lens, something north of 65%. IMO yellow is best for flat light. AFAIK all those proprietary colors are just marketing.
I also want prescription lens for better depth perception and pair for bright light, so an easily replaceable lens and/or prescription insert would be good. I'm trying to keep this under $600 for two pair.
Buying goggles on line is pretty frustrating. Mostly they specify only one color, so you can't tell if it's the frame or lens color, and even if you know the lens color, it's something like "iridium" or "chromopop,"which aren't a colors at all. You need to do do a separate search to actually get the color specs.
It seems to me every old guy wants prescription goggles for flat light, so I'm surprised it's so hard to find them.

dm

Last edited:

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I'm developing cataracts, so I want a high VLT lens, something north of 65%. IMO yellow is best for flat light. AFAIK all those proprietary colors are just marketing.
I also want prescription lens for better depth perception and pair for bright light, so an easily replaceable lens and/or prescription insert would be good. I'm trying to keep this under $600 for two pair.
Buying goggles on line is pretty frustrating. Mostly they specify only one color, so you can't tell if it's the frame or lens color, and even if you know the lens color, it's something like "iridium" or "chromopop,"which aren't a colors at all. You need to do do a separate search to actually get the color specs.
It seems to me every old guy wants prescription goggles for flat light, so I'm surprised it's so hard to find them.

dm

Actually, I believe, from tests I've seen, rose is a better color for contrast.

However, depending on severity, you should definitely consider cataract surgery. It will ELIMINATE the need for prescription glasses while providing much clearer vision. I just had it done and went from 20/400, anything beyond about 15 " was out of focus, to perfect distance vision from 24" to infinity. Plus cataracts distort your color vision; in addition to "clouding up" they turn your natural lens yellow.. Because this occurs slowly over time, you never realize it is happening. For safety reasons, they do one eye then the other two weeks later. So when you look through the "corrected" eye everything is crystal clear with perfect colors. When you look through the "uncorrected" eye everything has a distinctive yellow cast - there are no pure whites. It's VERY striking. I had about 40% light blockage - which I didn't realize as I I could see ok, no problems with TV watching, skiing, driving (except for sever glare at night) or any activities. Medicare, in my case, and most health insurance's completely cover the cost.

This is the BEST thing I have done for myself in years. It is so liberating to go without glasses or annoying contact lens. Yes, you will need cheap reading glasses for real close-up work, but I can read a menu by holding it at arms length.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My cataracts are bad enough to cause flat light problems (and enough that my eye doctor said to my wife, "cool, look at this" the first time he examined me). But they are still at the stage where surgery is "not medically necessary."

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The optician tells me I'm at least a couple of years away from cataract surgery, but I still think my vision is much worse than even a few years ago. I don't want to swap lenses, so I bought 2 pairs of Smith Turbofan goggles, one with a blue sensor lens for low light, and another with an ignitor lens. Now I need to get the prescription inserts. I'm looking on-line for a BOGO deal.

dm

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
My cataracts are bad enough to cause flat light problems (and enough that my eye doctor said to my wife, "cool, look at this" the first time he examined me). But they are still at the stage where surgery is "not medically necessary."

@mdf, @Dave Marshak Mine were "not medically necessary" but the night headlight glare was getting real bad; plus the feed back I got from friends who had it done said the improvement was awesome. I will say again: it ELIMINATES the need for distance vision glasses/contacts - this was huge for me having worn glasses since I was a child. Its only been a couple of weeks, but I go days without using "reading glasses" as I can read a computer screen at 15" with no problem. If your cataracts are effecting your vision, and it sounds like they are, then SERIOUSLY consider getting this done. You will not believe the improvement; don't wait until it's really bad, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Talk to another doctor in depth for a second opinion. The technique today is virtually foolproof if you use a doctor/clinic who specializes in this procedure and the results are immediate..

TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm gonna wait until Medicare will pay for the surgery, and maybe longer. I'm not too happy about anyone going near my eyes with a knife.

dm

James

Out There
Instructor
You should try the new chroma pop storm Smith lenses. 50% vlt but that may be deceptive and it may look brighter. They are made with much better optically plastic.

Color can be very individual. I despise yellow lenses and generally use orange for low light. Smith red sensor makes me naseous as it lets in too much blue light. Since you have cataracts perhaps your eyes absorb more yellow from the yellow lenses?

I hear the new Oakley hi pink prizm is quite good in low light. I have the prizm rose which is not good for low flat light in the east.

Last edited:

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I'm gonna wait until Medicare will pay for the surgery, and maybe longer. I'm not too happy about anyone going near my eyes with a knife.

dm

Totally understand one's apprehension about eye surgery, I felt the same way, but after talking with people who have done it and several doctors, I went for it. It was painless, of course, and I had absolutely NO after effect or discomfort. Wore a clear plastic eye shield the rest of the day, night and next day & night, then took it off; though they recommend wearing it nights for several days. Other than avoiding any heavy lifting or exercise and hot tubs, spas and pools for a week and being careful not to rub your eye, there were no restrictions on activities. Also wear good sunglasses when outside. Seriously, don't wait too long - the results are amazing - mind-blowing!

I was real worried about how I was going to see and function with one eye "corrected" and the other not for two weeks. Doctor said "don't worry, it will be all right, you will adjust quickly". Turns out the brain is remarkably adaptive, within an hour it had totally disregarded the "out of focus" right eye for distance and just used the now "in-focus image" from the corrected left eye; yet if I held a piece of paper up close to read it, my brain switched to using my right eye for close vision - just amazing .

BTW: I second the recommendation for Smith Croma-Pop Storm lens - great low/flat light lens.

Last edited:
TS
Dave Marshak

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I pulled the trigger on 2 pair of Smith Turbofan Prophecy goggles (blue sensor and ignitor mirror), with prescription inserts. Maybe later I'll try Chromopop storm or yellow. It all cam in under budget too!

dm

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January