• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Heritage Labs FL 105

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
7DE07620-429D-4A5F-B2D5-753145764CAE.jpeg

Ok, here’s my initial thoughts after 4 days of ripping about on the new FL 105 in the 178cm: BOOM!!

Marshal a HL has been killing it with this one. Just a perfect daily driver and all about ski. Mounted mine up on the rec of 77 cm from the tail & let em fly. STH2 WTR as a binder. Here’s the beta.

Initial thought- flex is smooth & not too stout. Rocker lines looked greater in shop than on the snow, textured topsheet was sweet and well detailed. Marshal’s hand tune is well worth $100 + ; smooth and consistent; ready to go. The bases absorbed a thorough waxing cycle twice and then remained soaked for the duration. Edges are wicked thick and robust.

Groomers- 2 footed or racer style, they just wanted more. They wanted to zoom. Medium radius was a solid base, but you could slarve em tighter or let em make 11’s down the fall line. Back to lift was pure joy and the suppleness of the shovels softened out the chatter and cross ruts.

IMG_5124.jpeg
Side trail / Poor man’s powder- smooth & surfy ; narrow the stance some and let we fly. Subtle ankle motions were all that was required to turn em up & drive the length of ski.

8-10” of Powder - Home / Ground Zero. They rocked. Shift the weight onto the arch / heel and zip off. They bounced, pounced & even dolphin turned. The surface area and the rocker lines let you charge the hill with BDE as you crushed the tourons & beaters. The stability of the design was consistent and confident inspiring- the FL 105 also has the amazing quality of being supremely balanced in the air (more later). When I was tossed, the FL 105 crutched my balance & aided posture back to security.

Moguls / Trees - The odd combination of a rather balanced mount and the lite weight made short swing and rapid direction changes with ease. Again, when upon finding yourself in the air, the skis seems to have uncanny air awareness and poise. This seemed to be the defining attribute of this model. It just found a way home time after time.

Chalk / dust on injected - If you get stuck on such whacked surfaces, it’s got your back like a Lazy Boy. What was missing was the tip flap.

Future Missions - I can say with confidence this will be the ‘King of Spring’ ski.

Parting thoughts - this FL 105 & Comp 87/99 would be the steeze for a clean ‘n crisp quiver. I’d scoop up a hoodie while you’re at it & you’ll be KOM wherever you call home.

Seriously props to Marshal for reminding us that we can reject being neutered corporate skiers. We are not the same, don’t miss this opportunity to take these for a lap.

IMG_5135.jpeg

^ I’m currently lobbying for a Gus Fring Pro model.

IMG_5139.jpeg

* I think I’d be a hit!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Brian Finch Hope it's ok I put this here:

The FL105 is exactly as advertised, perhaps even a bit better. It rocks firm conditions but is a joy in soft snow, and absolutely has taken over the DD role in my quiver. I can’t imagine a more versatile ski.

I skied them for the first time at Revelstoke around Christmas, and the conditions were a mixed bag. Lots of soft snow off-piste, deep in spots, with some firm and fast groomers that turned to spring-like slush down around mid-mountain. The FL105 handled everything well, floating well in the soft, with a surprising amount of pivotability in the bumps, and it muted out anything harsh when things firmed up.

We moved over to Lake Louise for three days to round out the trip, and the conditions there were completely different: firm, boilerplate in places, but with lots of chalk to be found on the backside of the mountain. I skied the FL105 each day and they were just killer. Absolutely crushed everything in their path, making transitions between varying snow mindless. Superb grip, and while I had no problem bending them into various turn shapes, man did they come alive when I opened them up and let them run. Just hip-dragging GS turns that were a blast. And, for a ski so stout, the more time I spent on them the lighter and nimbler they began to feel, with excellent pop and energy between turns. Some of that can certainly be attributed to me getting my legs under me, but I also credit the design and the rocker pattern.

Next time I had them out was on a day-trip to Vermont on January 3rd, and I had no idea what to expect. I knew it would be firm, but because I also thought I might encounter a bit of refrozen crud, rather than step into a narrower or lighter offering I again trusted the FL105.

Man, what a good decision. The surface ran the gamut of hardpack, boilerplate, and good ol' New England ice to deep, deep piles of sugar. The FL105 again impressed with its ability to transition between these conditions, and did so with aplomb. Controllable and smooth, unflappable in those situations where going straight and letting them run was the only option.

I appreciate skis with some heft and charge, and ski in a very active and “muscular” fashion. I was looking for something to take the place of my M102s, as while they fit the mold of what I like, I found they skied and sounded a bit harsh. The FL105, on the other hand, is much smoother and warmer. And, as an added bonus, I’m getting none of the occasional hookiness I sometimes have with the M102 and their big shovels/shorter turn radius. Amazingly, while the M102 (177) and the FL105 (178) are virtually identical in straight-pull length (177.8 and 177.5, respectively), the FL105s weigh around 200g more despite having no metal.

Regarding mount, I’m at 78 from the tail or -10.75 (for the record, I’m 5’6”, 160 lbs., BSL 294). If I was remounting today I might say -11 would be my magic number, but in truth, I am quite happy where they are and don't believe I will ever think about the issue again. I wanted a versatile ski and where I have them mounted gives me just that.

As for construction, I hit a rock on Day 1 that would have sent most skis—along with my knees—to their grave. The FL105, however, kept on trucking and the boys in the repair shop at the base of Revy were able to slap some ptex in a gaper of a hole and send me on my way. Absolutely built like a tank.

I also have a pair of Heritage Labs FR110s sitting here that I still need to mount, but in the meantime I'm wondering if I need to pick up a spare set of the FL105. I really enjoy trying different skis, sometimes skiing them a few times and then selling them for the next thing to come along, but something about Heritage Labs is different. I had a feeling that they would be keepers, and I was right. They really are that good, and I can’t wait to see what Marshal comes up with next.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews. I'm 6' 185ish and leaning towards the 185 as a Western Daily Driver. I'll contact Marshall to see what his thoughts are.

Rc231

Booting up
Skier
There's a long thread on TGR about these, I forget who is building them but new design and mold. I have some 185s inbound and am 6'3" 210lbs, Marshall is about my size and steered me to size down for more maneuverability since my local mountain has more tight terrain (alpental). Hoping to have them mounted for a whistler trip next week. These will slot between my 189 bonafide 97s and 193 on3p billy goat stiffs, but I have a feeling the bones might not get much snow time.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was on my FL105 again today. The most striking thing -- and I've said this before here and elsewhere -- is that it simply doesn't care about variable conditions. It inspires so much confidence because transitions between varying snow simply pass by as if unnoticed.

The only thing I can compare it to is when you first start riding and racing on tubular bike tires. The road feels smoothed out. You see bumps, and you brace for them, but they don't come. The FL105 is like that. I skied through a field of death cookies today and had the biggest s**t eating grin on my face because it might as well have been freshly groomed corduroy.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I did a thing. I preordered a pair of FL105's for next season. After speaking with Marshal, I was leaning towards the R105, but he was not taking preorders for those and did not have any in stock. Very excited for these!

Now to sell some skis to thin out the quiver!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered a pair of HLS Fl105 185 and pre-ordered the RC85 - I agree that this is a sweet 2 ski quiver for almost anything. Might add a 120 swallowtail or fr132 at some point to round out the ideal HLS 3 ski quiver
I agree, and I think for me a good 3-ski lineup would be the RC85, the FL105, and either the R110 or the Swallowtail R120. Wait, that's four, but it makes sense. Not sure how much overlap the R110 and R120 will have, though.

But since I already own the FL105 and have both the R110 and the Swallowtail R120 on order, I guess I am doing ok! I just wish that RC85 came in a length suitable for me. The thought of the FL105 layup in an 85mm ski makes me drool. In the meantime, I saw a 2016 Head Monster 88 that I was tempted to grab. I want something for East Coast firm that has more "oomph" than my Folsom Spar 88 (which reminds me, I need to post something about that ski since I've put a few days on it now).

Rc231

Booting up
Skier
My fl105s didn’t arrive in time for my ski trip but I can’t wait to see them. Plotting swapping my bonafides for rc85s next year as well. At least there is finally some snow in the forecast, it’s been too bony for brand new skis so far.

Sponsor

Staff online