• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Help a brother get touring skis

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
The only thing I don’t like about Booster straps for BC boots is that the buckle is so large and heavy. There has to be a way to mod that with a lighter buckle that works about the same for touring use. Seems like it would be a good way for them to capitalize on the growing touring market
Call it Booster BC or something like that.
@Slim The buckle is heavy and a heavy duty plastic buckle (Booster BC) is a nice idea. For me, the downhill performance makes it worth it - even on long tours or long summer days on Mt. Rainer.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The skis are here! These twins are as pretty as I thought they would be :D

1705971744721.png

Now to geek out on the mount point!

1705971826145.png

I love the new school mount on my factions CT 1.0. On thees, a sticker that came with the skis recommends the mid point (progressive). And frankly, I might just do that. There is a lot of tip rocker, and very little tail rocker. Intuitively, it feels like the new school might nose dive in powder on the New School position ...decisions, decisions

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Sweet, a tail slot for skins - rare for a twin tip. Please review your new skis with Shifts. As you know, Shifts are built like a Porsche, and a AmerSports Warden is similar to a Ford F-150.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sweet, a tail slot for skins - rare for a twin tip. Please review your new skis with Shifts. As you know, Shifts are built like a Porsche, and a AmerSports Warden is similar to a Ford F-150.

Will do! Hand flexing them I am getting good vibes. They feel quite stiff, and burly. These are sold as a Touring ski with a focus on downhill, this is why the tail skin slots. And ... They are a bit on the directional side, not quite twin tips despite my bad earlier joke
:roflmao:

PXL_20240123_032714412.jpg

Big rocker, camber to short tail rocker. Can't wai to ski them!

:yahoo:

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Update! I already tried all of the equipment, yayyy! Last Thursday I trimmed the skins, and I headed to Sierra on Friday with the skins on.

1708899057589.png

I also tried the touring boots (Lange XT3 130) for the first time. I walked a bit before heading to the lift for the first run, and at least the mechanics are there (I can switch the shifts between ski and walk mode, etc).

This was my third day on the Agent 3 skis, and I feel like between getting used to them, and their more backward mount than my other factions, and the Touring boots (which I think complement the light skis better), it was my best day on these skis, by far. The conditions were soft in parts, some untouched for a couple feet of wet dump, some bumps.

1708899865783.png

The picture below is under Grand View, skier's right. @Spnole and his cousin Chris waiting a bit uphill. This was some of the best snow, and the run of the day.

Some thoughts on the skis and boots: this is the first time in a long time that I use skis with no metal, and boy, do I miss it. At least inbounds. Reason being: the skis, stiff and responsive due to what seems to me like great, light construction, transmit to my legs every little thing that they hit. So, I feel clearly less stability at speed than with any of my skis.

Now to the boots:the xt3 at 130 are clearly softer (and lighter) than their resort sisters (the RX 130). Which, in this case, helps me absorb, I think, some of the terrain through the boot. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I felt like I did much better with these boots, which have no work at all: I bought them online cheap, warmed up the liners and put them on at home to heat mold. Thank you @Drahtguy Kevin for the recommendation! I feel like they are a bit more spacious than the RX at the same size, which makes sense for a touring boor. The RX definitely needed some work.

So, SUCCESS! Thank you all for the help!
:hug:

Now I need to book a rescue course and keep going from there. Happy camper!!

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Update! I already tried all of the equipment, yayyy! Last Thursday I trimmed the skins, and I headed to Sierra on Friday with the skins on.

View attachment 226912

I also tried the touring boots (Lange XT3 130) for the first time. I walked a bit before heading to the lift for the first run, and at least the mechanics are there (I can switch the shifts between ski and walk mode, etc).

This was my third day on the Agent 3 skis, and I feel like between getting used to them, and their more backward mount than my other factions, and the Touring boots (which I think complement the light skis better), it was my best day on these skis, by far. The conditions were soft in parts, some untouched for a couple feet of wet dump, some bumps.

View attachment 226917

The picture below is under Grand View, skier's right. @Spnole and his cousin Chris waiting a bit uphill. This was some of the best snow, and the run of the day.

Some thoughts on the skis and boots: this is the first time in a long time that I use skis with no metal, and boy, do I miss it. At least inbounds. Reason being: the skis, stiff and responsive due to what seems to me like great, light construction, transmit to my legs every little thing that they hit. So, I feel clearly less stability at speed than with any of my skis.

Now to the boots:the xt3 at 130 are clearly softer (and lighter) than their resort sisters (the RX 130). Which, in this case, helps me absorb, I think, some of the terrain through the boot. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I felt like I did much better with these boots, which have no work at all: I bought them online cheap, warmed up the liners and put them on at home to heat mold. Thank you @Drahtguy Kevin for the recommendation! I feel like they are a bit more spacious than the RX at the same size, which makes sense for a touring boor. The RX definitely needed some work.

So, SUCCESS! Thank you all for the help!
:hug:

Now I need to book a rescue course and keep going from there. Happy camper!!
@Mendieta - sounds like everything worked out for side/slack country set-up. I completely agree, that the Lange XT3 are softer and the forefoot is more spacious than the RX. For my feet, the XT3 LV is too wide and had look elsewhere for a hybrid boot.

Inbounds skiing is so different than touring, jts hard to get a light ski for both conditions. Using more carbon is one method, but it’s tricky - many stiff touring skis with carbon fiber are nervous and overly lively.

The shift binding, the Agent3, and XT3 seems like a well-matched setup and I am sure you will get used to a lighter setup. Hint, ski gently, with a centered/stacked stance, and look at the terrain carefully for your ski line. It will take some time to get used to a lighter set-up. Skiing at the end of the day on hard scraped off groomers or cut up heavy snow is always an exercise in smart and light on-my-feet skiing.

Rescue course - I am not sure about your slack country experience and goals, but did you take an AIARE L1 class. On the first L1 day, the main outcome is that you demonstrate effective companion rescue. The only prerequisite is that you must be able to travel in avalanche terrain and bring appropriate equipment for traveling on snow to class. If you have taken a L1 class, look for an AIARE Advanced Rescue Class. If you need help, I might be able to point you to a good avy instructor.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Rescue course - I am not sure about your slack country experience and goals, but did you take an AIARE L1 class. On the first L1 day, the main outcome is that you demonstrate effective companion rescue. The only prerequisite is that you must be able to travel in avalanche terrain and bring appropriate equipment for traveling on snow to class. If you have taken a L1 class, look for an AIARE Advanced Rescue Class. If you need help, I might be able to point you to a good avy instructor.

Yes, you are spot on, on the equipment! Like if you knew
:pug:

On the training: I am a bit confused to be honest. It's not very clear why companion rescue courses are taught separately, when they also seem to be part of the AIARE Level 1 courses. It seems to me that Level 1 includes rescue and awareness.

It also seems like most courses need you to have some level of experience, which is a bit weird because in principle you should get trained before heading out. Anyways, I'll try to bootstrap by doing very easy terrain with people here in the area, and then simply do the 2 or 3 day Level 1 course. For family reasons, scheduling that will not be simple, aand might need to wait 'till next season. But hey, I keep moving forward, which is all that matters.

The first step was getting familiar with all the gear inbounds, and that's pretty much achieved :yahoo:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Yes, you are spot on, on the equipment! Like if you knew
:pug:

On the training: I am a bit confused to be honest. It's not very clear why companion rescue courses are taught separately, when they also seem to be part of the AIARE Level 1 courses. It seems to me that Level 1 includes rescue and awareness.

It also seems like most courses need you to have some level of experience, which is a bit weird because in principle you should get trained before heading out. Anyways, I'll try to bootstrap by doing very easy terrain with people here in the area, and then simply do the 2 or 3 day Level 1 course. For family reasons, scheduling that will not be simple, aand might need to wait 'till next season. But hey, I keep moving forward, which is all that matters.

The first step was getting familiar with all the gear inbounds, and that's pretty much achieved :yahoo:
The AIARE L1 class has only two prerequisites - you are able to travel in avalanche terrain and bring appropriate equipment for traveling on snow to class. Anyone can take this class, no experience is needed or required. You can use a split-board, snowshoes, or skis — even on sleds/snowmobiles (taught separately). It’s best if you get familiar with your equipment and continue to ski on easy terrain. Your equipment familiarity and ability to ski with a pack will make your L1 class way more fun. You can focus on learning about avalanche terrain rather than struggling with your equipment.

All AIARE L1 classes are taught over a three day period, Day 1 is on-line reading and assessments (at your own pace and time) and two evening online zoom presentations and discussions (or in a classroom)., Day 2 is a field day consisting of companion rescue, and Day 3 is a ski touring day. Here you will learn how to develop a plan to travel in avalanche terrain, and learn how to identify avalanche terrain. You will use the AIARE blue book, a field book that helps you effectively use the risk management framework to make terrain choices in a group setting. Take the class in the region or area where you plan to ski tour.

I would not recommend taking a one-day companion rescue class. Companion rescue classes should not be taught separately from a L1 class, unless it is an advanced rescue class, with a L1 prerequisite.

AIARE offers an advanced companion rescue class as a refresher for post-L1 students and provides additional techniques and practice for rapid and efficient multiple-burial scenarios. A few students take this class before their L2 class. If you have a questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

L1 students
IMG_4796.jpeg

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mendieta , awesome!

Did you try skinning yet? I assume so, since you said you put skins on.
On that note, most skins do not do well if put on skis and left there when it‘s warm, like in the house or in a warm car or warm weather roof box.
I will put the skins on in advance if my skis will stay cold, like this last week, when I had my skis stored outside overnight, then put them on in the morning and left them outside the cabin or in the bed of the truck.
But otherwise, I leave the skins off until I am at the trailhead.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta , awesome!

Did you try skinning yet? I assume so, since you said you put skins on.
On that note, most skins do not do well if put on skis and left there when it‘s warm, like in the house or in a warm car or warm weather roof box.
I will put the skins on in advance if my skis will stay cold, like this last week, when I had my skis stored outside overnight, then put them on in the morning and left them outside the cabin or in the bed of the truck.
But otherwise, I leave the skins off until I am at the trailhead.

Yes, I skinned but just a few "steps", not a real test. I just wanted to see that I knew how to transition between ski and walk modes. It felt a little awkward, as if I were going to go over the handle bar. Just walking on a flat. Thank you for the tip on skins! I will get some education on skinning next, there are a gazillion videos on youtube :)

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Keep skinning and learn uphill kick turns, turn around on your skis with skins, and go downhill with skins, walk mode, and loose heel. The more you practice transitions, you will ne able to focus on learning in a L1. Watch the instructor and see how she/he does their transitions, stays warm, and eats/drinks water when possbile.

@Slim - I take my skins off always, even for the car ride home. I rarely put my skins on early before skiimg.,The skins dry out, soaking wet or cold dry, folded up in our laundry room or on hooks on a hut trip.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just wanted to see that I knew how to transition between ski and walk modes. It felt a little awkward, as if I were going to go over the handle bar. Just walking on a flat. :)
you have Shifts right? I wonder if you inadvertently flipped up the heel risers? On those bindings, they are right by the lever that you use to lock the brakes up, so it’s easy to do then, or a bit later, they flip easily.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Inbounds skiing is so different than touring, jts hard to get a light ski for both conditions. Using more carbon is one method, but it’s tricky - many stiff touring skis with carbon fiber are nervous and overly lively.

The shift binding, the Agent3, and XT3 seems like a well-matched setup and I am sure you will get used to a lighter setup. Hint, ski gently, with a centered/stacked stance, and look at the terrain carefully for your ski line. It will take some time to get used to a lighter set-up. Skiing at the end of the day on hard scraped off groomers or cut up heavy snow is always an exercise in smart and light on-my-feet skiing.

That's gold. My agents seem to fit that description exactly. Today I hit a steep bump little run that takes you into the side-country at Sierra at Tahoe. The first lap it was a bit of a disaster. I was trying to blast through like the week before with other factions that have two sheets of metal. It was a bit of a disaster.

I remembered your recommendation before the second lap, and I did SO much better. A lot less of an edge angle, and a lot shorter, lighter, faster, pivoted turns. Night and day. I used the same technique on the actual side country area. Same thing: slower, shorter, brushed turns. A very different type of skiing, but I need to adapt to the skis and their compromises

1711687685431.png

Sponsor

Staff online