• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Help a brother get touring skis

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, I just got my back country gear and I am looking for a companion rescue course. Having touring skis will probably be required, so I'll start the search now. (Otherwise i will rent for the course)

I am 6'1 190lbs (sigh) and my favorite skis right now are the Factions CT 1.0 in 179 cm. I prefer them over my 184cm Enforcers 100 in that they are as stable in speed, but easier to maneuver in trees and tight steeps. Also easier in bumps.

I am also looking for hybrid bindings. Ideally I would buy a used set (assuming shift style bindings can be adjustable).

In principle I thought of the Enforcer 94 or 104 ultimate but I read too many reports that it can lock you into a turn. I certainly don't want that.

Any help is appreciated.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Tagging some of the usual suspects in this area to see if any ideas come out: @Slim @jmeb @GregK @charlier @pais alto

My goal is to have some ideas and then look for a deal. In terms of style, I would like something maneuverable, easy to pivot but also assertive on edge to cut through crud without being thrown about. I don't need anything spectacularly light given the expected use; i would rather trade off into a better downhill performance.

Many thanks in advance!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider the Blizzard Hustle 9 or 10. @SkiEssentials has reviews here on PugSki (;) and on their site. That’s what I’d get if I was getting new touring skis, much for the reasons you stated in OP. Deals are findable for last year’s model which is unchanged for this year, I believe.

These days I do most of my touring on older Blizzard Zero G 108s with G3 Ion binders, but they are kind of a core touring ski. I’m guessing the Hustles might be a decent match for you.

Shift bindings sound about right for that kind of setup.

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider the Blizzard Hustle 9 or 10. @SkiEssentials has reviews here on PugSki (;) and on their site. That’s what I’d get if I was getting new touring skis, much for the reasons you stated in OP. Deals are findable for last year’s model which is unchanged for this year, I believe.

These days I do most of my touring on older Blizzard Zero G 108s with G3 Ion binders, but they are kind of a core touring ski. I’m guessing the Hustles might be a decent match for you.

Shift bindings sound about right for that kind of setup.
Super solid advice here. I’ve been enjoying my Liberty Origin Backcountry 106. Perhaps another option.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Ok, I just got my back country gear and I am looking for a companion rescue course. Having touring skis will probably be required, so I'll start the search now. (Otherwise i will rent for the course)

I am 6'1 190lbs (sigh) and my favorite skis right now are the Factions CT 1.0 in 179 cm. I prefer them over my 184cm Enforcers 100 in that they are as stable in speed, but easier to maneuver in trees and tight steeps. Also easier in bumps.

I am also looking for hybrid bindings. Ideally I would buy a used set (assuming shift style bindings can be adjustable).

In principle I thought of the Enforcer 94 or 104 ultimate but I read too many reports that it can lock you into a turn. I certainly don't want that.

Any help is appreciated.
@Mendieta I have many questions about your backcountry goals - mostly on expected use rather than aspirational goals. Where are you touring: side-country and accessible spring touring with the wonderful Sierra corn. What are the typical snowpack and conditions.

Other questions, do you have a posse with similar skills, backcountry goals, and risk tolerance. Did you purchase bindings and boots yet? Lastly, mostly from my confusion, are you going to take an avy L1 class, or a companion rescue class for side-country only missions. I did not want to recommend skis et al, without a better understanding of your backcountry thoughts. If interested, call me.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sounds like you are willing to give up a bit of weight savings for downhill performance, so skis like the latest Atomic Maverick, Salomon Stance and the especially the 24 Rustler line comes to mind. The Hustle line based on the previous Rustler design with carbon fibre instead of metal underneath but the latest 24 Rustler line has a more freeride profile I think you’d like yet weight is incredibly similar to the Hustle line.

Shifts would be a safe bet and lots of deals on those as they have been around for awhile so it’s easy to find an atomic/Salomon branded Shift from last year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Any help is appreciated.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
@Philpug - sounds like a sweet ski. With Shifts and Hybrid touring boots, we get a super fun, slack/side country ski. On a side note, after selling a hybrid setup, I rarely sell skins. Interesting comparing aspirational goals vs reality.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta I have many questions about your backcountry goals - mostly on expected use rather than aspirational goals. Where are you touring: side-country and accessible spring touring with the wonderful Sierra corn. What are the typical snowpack and conditions.

Other questions, do you have a posse with similar skills, backcountry goals, and risk tolerance. Did you purchase bindings and boots yet? Lastly, mostly from my confusion, are you going to take an avy L1 class, or a companion rescue class for side-country only missions. I did not want to recommend skis et al, without a better understanding of your backcountry thoughts. If interested, call me.

Yes, apologies! In short: side/slackcountry in terms of foreseeable future and companion rescue in terms of training.

I forgot to link the thread where all of that info is spelled out.

Great questions, and no, I haven't hooked with the right people. Hopefully during the rescue course ...

In terms of boots, I was hoping to make do with my alpine Lange RX 130 ... Hope that's ok to get started?

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Yes, apologies! In short: side/slackcountry in terms of foreseeable future and companion rescue in terms of training.

I forgot to link the thread where all of that info is spelled out.

Great questions, and no, I haven't hooked with the right people. Hopefully during the rescue course ...

In terms of boots, I was hoping to make do with my alpine Lange RX 130 ... Hope that's ok to get started?
@Mendieta - ski choices for your touring is a bit outside of my wheelhouse. I suggest get good alpine skis on the light end of the spectrum. A Salomon Echo or Salomon QST 98 might be too soft for your ski style.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

You won't be able to tour in them with any hybrid binding except a frame binding. Modern "hybrid" bindings like the Duke PT and Shift require tech inserts.

If you're willing to run a frame binding (Duke, Guardian, Adrenaline) then buy a used setup cheap and walk around in your RX130s. No point in drilling new skis for frames.

Expect to buy new boots if you plan to ever skin more than a thousand vertical feet.

I ski RX130 LVs inbounds. I cannot imagine touring in them.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You won't be able to tour in them with any hybrid binding except a frame binding. Modern "hybrid" bindings like the Duke PT and Shift require tech inserts.

If you're willing to run a frame binding (Duke, Guardian, Adrenaline) then buy a used setup cheap and walk around in your RX130s. No point in drilling new skis for frames.

Expect to buy new boots if you plan to ever skin more than a thousand vertical feet.

I ski RX130 LVs inbounds. I cannot imagine touring in them.

Thank you -- so, where do you start with boots? What would be a "touring equivalent" to the RX130LV (that's exactly what I use as well!) - just to start taking a look; I am assuming you need to get fitted as with Alpine boots, so I would probably ask there. But it's not a bad idea to have SOME starting point of reference. Thanks much!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you -- so, where do you start with boots? What would be a "touring equivalent" to the RX130LV (that's exactly what I use as well!) - just to start taking a look; I am assuming you need to get fitted as with Alpine boots, so I would probably ask there. But it's not a bad idea to have SOME starting point of reference. Thanks much!
You might like the Lange XT3 series. I’ve used the XT3 140 for the past few years inbounds and out/touring. The boots ski great and tour good enough for sidecountry and shorter adventures.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Mendieta
Yep, if you aren’t buying boots with tech inserts, you can’t use Shifts for the uphill, so I don’t see much use for them.
Frame Bindings bought cheap would be a good idea, but make sure the price is right. Basically don’t count on reselling them. Even New ones can be found for good prices. My friend bought a pair of rental skis with frame bindings that had been used once, for $200.

Day maker adapters would be another option, if you have a pair of regular bindings on hand already, but if you have to buy bindings, I cant see the cost being worthwhile.

Shifts have started to go on sale here and there though. Duke Pt of course is Markers take on the same idea. A bit heavier, and you have to undo the toe pieces and have them on your skis or in your pack, but another good option.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes sorry, I don’t have good ski recommendations. I ski a QST 98 inbounds, so I lean more to the loose side in my preferences.

Like others said, I would pick a ski that matches your preferences, and isn’t super heavy, and call it good. I assume this will be part of your quiver for resort use too? Are you selling the enforcer 100? What spot in your quiver does this need to fill, besides being tourable?

How wide are you thinking? The Hustle/Rustler 9 are quite turny, with a short radius side cut, so don’t match your desire for something that goes straight through chop. The 10 would be better.

Faction Agent series are in their touring line, but wight wise, they are more towards 50/50 side, so that could be an option. They are not super loose, but ski well in bad snow, just not as loose in powder as other skis of similar width (that’s for the 2.0 which my kid has and a review said the same)

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You might like the Lange XT3 series. I’ve used the XT3 140 for the past few years inbounds and out/touring. The boots ski great and tour good enough for sidecountry and shorter adventures.
It’s confusing in that line up, because they have expanded it with some more touring oriented models and some more 50/50 models.

The Technical Zero G Tour pro also comes to mind, as does the Scarpa Quattro, or the previous (Grillamid) Hawk Ultra.
All of these are beefy boots that ski (very) well, and all are, in some way, shape or form, low volume.

Sponsor

Staff online