• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gardening 2023

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
20230216_135707.jpg

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tulips are up. Other stuff too, including at least three kinds of flowers blooming, which makes my lovely wife happy. But the tulips are up.

TS
VickieH

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I relocated some perennials from the back yard to the front last fall. I get to buy replacements for the back yard when the supply arrives. :yahoo:

Plus the 'ten' ;) annuals for the front beds.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got Kale, radish, carrots, arugula, and spinach seeds planted outside already. Peppers seedlings coming up and already need potting up indoors. Started tomato seeds indoors yesterday. My Piracicaba broccoli seedlings are bursting out of their small pots. I think I'll plant them in the ground today.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New garden sculpture.
1682714083448.jpeg

Wife finally got me to get some new mulch for the new area we created. All the same color now :)
1682714185139.jpeg

1682714240401.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not exactly gardening, more like slavish yard work. I just used a power rake for the first time (rented from home depot). Like wrestling an alligator. But it really generates a lot of thatch debris in this Utah yard., a small portion of which can be seen in the containers to the left. Hot tub utilized shortly after completing the job ;)
20230428_160850.jpg

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Happy lawn happy me. Havent had to run my sprinklers yet! Free water!

tempImageqytsN2.jpg

This lawn was a MESS 3 years ago and I have been overseeding with turf type tall fescue since last fall and now this spring. I had a few large bare spots which are now gone. Still a work in progress. It has lots of old grass still and some clumping fescue in spots which I HATE.

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Between the torrential rain and oppressive heat I have not gotten much time for back yard projects. Started building some steps with a few flat rocks that we had dug up earlier. Need to find some smaller rocks to level and fill in. Being New Hampshire some will eventually sprout up.
PXL_20230718_000210000.jpg

And finally had the second nice night to light up my new fire pit.

PXL_20230514_000905885.jpg

PXL_20230718_000244170.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230718_000256216.jpg
    PXL_20230718_000256216.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can someone identify this grass for me? Our old neighbor planted it on purpose and it's taken over his lawn completely and now making inroads into ours. It’s a warm weather grass, which turns brown as soon as it gets cold here. Looks like crap. The red parts of the stem are stiff, and it spreads by sending out these long trails of invaders, and then Seems to branch off in all directions.
IMG_1956.jpeg
IMG_1955.jpeg

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can someone identify this grass for me? Our old neighbor planted it on purpose and it's taken over his lawn completely and now making inroads into ours. It’s a warm weather grass, which turns brown as soon as it gets cold here. Looks like crap. The red parts of the stem are stiff, and it spreads by sending out these long trails of invaders, and then Seems to branch off in all directions.
View attachment 207944 View attachment 207945
I think you would be better off asking on https://www.thelawnforum.com/

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 207944 View attachment 207945
I haven't been in the gardening thread this summer because, other than my perennial herb and flower gardens I haven't really been into it this summer.
Just seeing this now and looked it up through my iPhotos and it doesn't look like much of a match, but this is what the phone says it is. Odd.(I wouldn't trust this.)

IMG_8326.PNG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Happy lawn happy me. Havent had to run my sprinklers yet! Free water!

View attachment 204048

This lawn was a MESS 3 years ago and I have been overseeding with turf type tall fescue since last fall and now this spring. I had a few large bare spots which are now gone. Still a work in progress. It has lots of old grass still and some clumping fescue in spots which I HATE.
Your lawn looks really good!
Our lawn looks good in the spring/early summer, but as soon as things start to dry out, it has this one spot that always seems to go dormant. There always seems to be bunny poop in the area so I figured it was bunny damage, but after doing some seeding, fertilizing and on the off chance that there was a fungus, I even put a fungicide on it....not looking good, even after all that effort.
Seen here in between our golf net and patio.
IMG_8182.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Your lawn looks really good!
Our lawn looks good in the spring/early summer, but as soon as things start to dry out, it has this one spot that always seems to go dormant. There always seems to be bunny poop in the area so I figured it was bunny damage, but after doing some seeding, fertilizing and on the off chance that there was a fungus, I even put a fungicide on it....not looking good, even after all that effort.
Seen here in between our golf net and patio.
View attachment 209235

On thing that I learned is that if there are any rocks just under the soil even if the are 4-5 inches under that area will heat up more than the rest, hold less water and dry up much faster and get hotter than the rest of the lawn. I found this out the hard way. Also areas close to paved or concrete floors/sidewalks will get hotter and drier faster. A lot of times just a little extra water does the trick. Generally even during "wet" periods the higher altitude areas in the inter-mountain west, even Denver, have no issues with fungus. I have never used fungicide. Just dont water every day and you are good. If you do overwater during wetter periods you might get some poa triv growing which is lime green and hated by lawn enthusiasts but in our climate its easy to control if you dont water every day. Easy.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven't been in the gardening thread this summer because, other than my perennial herb and flower gardens I haven't really been into it this summer.
Just seeing this now and looked it up through my iPhotos and it doesn't look like much of a match, but this is what the phone says it is. Odd.(I wouldn't trust this.)

View attachment 209232
That's interesting - really does look like it. Local flower/yard shop said Bermuda grass.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On thing that I learned is that if there are any rocks just under the soil even if the are 4-5 inches under that area will heat up more than the rest, hold less water and dry up much faster and get hotter than the rest of the lawn. I found this out the hard way. Also areas close to paved or concrete floors/sidewalks will get hotter and drier faster. A lot of times just a little extra water does the trick. Generally even during "wet" periods the higher altitude areas in the inter-mountain west, even Denver, have no issues with fungus. I have never used fungicide. Just dont water every day and you are good. If you do overwater during wetter periods you might get some poa triv growing which is lime green and hated by lawn enthusiasts but in our climate its easy to control if you dont water every day. Easy.
That is what I was thinking.
I also read an article with a caution about evening watering because lawns are more prone to fungus, and I did have a few mushrooms growing in my yard earlier in the spring. Not something we usually see in Reno.
During that rainy time I did not have my irrigation on.

This area has been problematic every since we moved here, and it does get direct sunlight during a really hot part of the day and recently I was looking at older photos from when this house was listed. It appears that the area I'm talking about used to be a place for planting flowers or something, not lawn so I also wonder if the sprinklers, don't saturate there the same as the rest of the lawn.(see picture below.) So...I increased my two AM watering times by 2 minutes each but left the one evening watering at a original 6 minute time.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 5.20.19 PM.png

Sooooo, I took an old window screen and used it for cover, reseeded, watered with a fertilizer.
We shall see what happens.
If this doesn't work, I may order this for that patch area.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's interesting - really does look like it. Local flower/yard shop said Bermuda grass.
Hmmm, Burmuda grass was one thing suggested to me for high drought areas.
That doesn't look like something I want in my yard.

Sponsor

Staff online