• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fleece (or similar) gloves that last?

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use light weight gloves for skinning uphill and XC skiing. But I have to replace them every season or two because holes always develop in them. Either from poles rubbing, or my nails poking through. On colder days I put a larger leather gloves over them. The ones I currently have are below. Are there any that last, or is this something that I have to deal with it with these types of gloves?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I use light weight gloves for skinning uphill and XC skiing. But I have to replace them every season or two because holes always develop in them. Either from poles rubbing, or my nails poking through. On colder days I put a larger leather gloves over them. The ones I currently have are below. Are there any that last, or is this something that I have to deal with it with these types of gloves?

If you are really wedded to that type of glove, you could perhaps try a pair of unpadded short-fingered cycling or gym gloves for protection from poles. Or trimming your nails if the holes are at the finger tips.

But I think you'd be better off with real XC glove with leather or fake leather at the wear points. The downside is they wouldn't serve so well as liners.

Last edited:
TS
nemesis256

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But I think you'd be better off with real XC glove with leather or fake leather at the wear points. The downside is they wouldn't serve so well as liners.
I'm considering those too. I might find them too warm though, I'll have to go feel some at some store before deciding.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been a big fan of the Burton Touch n Go gloves. I've lost track of their exact age, but they're over 2.5 years old and I wear them daily through the fall & winter - hiking, dog walking, touring.

Most lightweight / liner gloves are knits, which are great for stretch, breathability, and uses less material so they're easy to layer. But knits aren't nearly as durable as a woven. The Burton gloves seem to be a few thinner pieces of fabric laminated together. The inner is a fleecy microfiber knit. The outer fabric is a knit. But the gloves don't stretch super easily, and when I do tug the fabric, I can see a white backing underneath that I really think is a woven. (If you're unfamiliar with knits and wovens, a knit wool would be like a sweater - stretchy, drapey, unstructured. A wool woven would be like suiting material or a wool coat - structured, wind resistant, durable). The palms of the Touch n Go are a synthetic suede.

They're on the bulkier side for a liner glove. I prefer to take them off when I put on my big mitts, but my partner layers them. I also think they provide better wind and water resistance, while still being a lot more breathable than a waterproof / windstopper / leather glove.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I use 2 pairs of auclair gloves for driving in the winter. But they actually are XC ski gloves.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I use 2 pairs of auclair gloves for driving in the winter. But they actually are XC ski gloves.

That's good stuff, but the Alpha Beta liner is a liner for backcountry gloves/mittens (my wife has a pair) rather than a dedicated XC glove. As you note it can work as a glove alone and will probably be a bit warmer than a typical liner.

I love Auclair.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

The other way to go for deals is just buy in bulk and consume them. At Costco in fall through midwinter they have a similar Head light/mid weight stretch running glove, that will have a coupon to bring it to like $15, (or $19 w/o coupon).
If somehow stock makes it through winter, your local Costco may also close them out for even cheaper.

It will probably wear out and rip just as easily, but at a third of the price of the REI one.

Otherwise maybe kincos?

edit: added link

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online