• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fascia pain on the outer side of knees

rolat8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Guys - beginner skier in 40s and very inflexible. Turning to the right is a breeze but turning left isn’t. Interestingly my PT has told me my right leg is far more powerful. Just in 3 days of basic bunny slope using chair lift sling (90 mins each day) gives me pain on the right outer side of the right knee. Left knee is fine. Am I using knees too much to turn? I struggle turning to the let and manage it but with lot of pressure on my right toe and also the whole leg but when going down slope, it’s not easy. I was also doing some drills going sideways on the hill towards the left and that was intense too. Any ideas on what else I can try? I can’t continue skiing this way because the knees are going to take weeks to recover. Thanks

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Guys - beginner skier in 40s and very inflexible. Turning to the right is a breeze but turning left isn’t. Interestingly my PT has told me my right leg is far more powerful. Just in 3 days of basic bunny slope using chair lift sling (90 mins each day) gives me pain on the right outer side of the right knee. Left knee is fine. Am I using knees too much to turn? I struggle turning to the let and manage it but with lot of pressure on my right toe and also the whole leg but when going down slope, it’s not easy. I was also doing some drills going sideways on the hill towards the left and that was intense too. Any ideas on what else I can try? I can’t continue skiing this way because the knees are going to take weeks to recover. Thanks

Hi,

Perhaps some more info would help.

1. Are you practicing other sports other than skiing?
  2. Are you seeing a PT due to some injury?
  3. Have you taken any lessons?
  4. How many days have you skied since you started?
Generally speaking, it might be that just going to the gym and working legs is all you need, but it's hard to tell without a lot more info. And it might be that just seeing an instructor would pay for itself in no time, if you haven't done it, yet

TS
R

rolat8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just swimming for now, I've played tennis too in the past and am average at it. PT a couple of times a year - I've had 2 herniated discs but I've been fine the last 6 months. I've taken 3-4 private lessons and same quantity of group lessons. I went skiing Tues-Thurs this week. I've many techniques the instructors have taught me but can't get out of the pain after skiing. The only way would be to perhaps just ski 2 days for a lesser amount of pain

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't really use your knees to turn the skis. Knees will be flexed; outside ( downhill ) leg slightly flexed, inside ( uphill ) leg more flexed, but don't twist your knees to turn the ski. If you're not taking lessons, you should.

Edit: I just saw your post above that you are taking lessons. Next lesson, talk to your instructor about your knee pain.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Just swimming for now, I've played tennis too in the past and am average at it. PT a couple of times a year - I've had 2 herniated discs but I've been fine the last 6 months. I've taken 3-4 private lessons and same quantity of group lessons. I went skiing Tues-Thurs this week. I've many techniques the instructors have taught me but can't get out of the pain after skiing. The only way would be to perhaps just ski 2 days for a lesser amount of pain

Yes, try skiing every other day for now. Also, I would add a gym membership if you can and add a leg routine, it can't hurt.

In terms of things to try, to @Scruffy 's point, it is very likely that you are still doing unnatural movements to turn. Here are two nice things to try, where you will only be using the ski edges and slight inclination of your knees (aka ski tipping):

J turns: make sure you can make them confidently

Then Railroad Trucks:

This video from Deb Armstrong kind of goes through the progression from J-Turn to RR Track:

If you can turn with these subtle ankle movements, there shouldn't be any pain unless there is an underlying physical condition, IMHO.

Hope this helps!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its possible that you have an alignment issue. Often times when someone struggles with one turn, an alignment is in order.

Check out this thread.

Sponsor

Staff online