• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Durango is making skiing affordable!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As a local, and former employee, I see it a bit differently.

Purg prides itself on making sliding affordable and accessible. And I think that is great in concept.

However what it impacts is the guest experience. While Purg pays mid-teens for most seasonal staff, a dishwasher in town makes $25 - $30 / hour. Yeah, the work environment is not as amazing. However unless you come in with money, you need to pay rent and put food on the table.

Consequentially, Purg does what it does for staffing. The best instructors have left for Telluride and Aspen, we have no top people as trainers (the ski school director is awesome and I would consider returning if he returns this year), and on busy weekends I’ve seen lunch orders take 90 minutes, tables strewn with food because on one is bussing, zero on slope safety except to scrape up the injured, and toilets overflowing.

Based on what I have seen and in private conversations, we have an awesome GM / ownership that doesn’t get it.

So, in a very real sense, you get what you pay for.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Purgatory (as well as Snowbowl) have had this dynamic pricing for years now. Buy early for best deal. Price goes up as the dates get closer.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn’t AZ Snow Bowl make news for charging like $300 for a high use day last season
True. I just wonder if they may have shot themselves in the foot with this notoriety because everyone I've had conversation that had heard about this, assumes that is the regular day ticket price, and adds the comment they won't be going there.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
As a local, and former employee, I see it a bit differently.

Purg prides itself on making sliding affordable and accessible. And I think that is great in concept.

However what it impacts is the guest experience. While Purg pays mid-teens for most seasonal staff, a dishwasher in town makes $25 - $30 / hour. Yeah, the work environment is not as amazing. However unless you come in with money, you need to pay rent and put food on the table.

Consequentially, Purg does what it does for staffing. The best instructors have left for Telluride and Aspen, we have no top people as trainers (the ski school director is awesome and I would consider returning if he returns this year), and on busy weekends I’ve seen lunch orders take 90 minutes, tables strewn with food because on one is bussing, zero on slope safety except to scrape up the injured, and toilets overflowing.

Based on what I have seen and in private conversations, we have an awesome GM / ownership that doesn’t get it.

So, in a very real sense, you get what you pay for.
I love the atmosphere at Purg. I agree they have major issues with staffing but so don't many other ski resorts that are similar. When I ski at Purgatory I time my lunches so I get to the restaurant just as they open at about 11am. The closer you get to noon it gets impossible to get a seat. I love the fact that the trails are not heavily policed but I tend to go towards lift 8 to avoid the frontside crowds. I agree their are some issues but I always leave with a smile :)

Sponsor

Staff online