• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does anyone ski with aggression and fury?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Had a coach one time who went out with an injury for something like a month. Thirty days in she comes hobbling out to watch me practice, and I started telling her my built-up list of complaints – this thing isn't going well, this is an issue, I'm mad about this, left leg won't do this, on and on and on. Finally after much contemplation she looks at me and very politely goes "well... have you ever tried putting some effort into it... or...?"

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, aggression + fury sounds an awful lot like anger. Bad things will happen.
Intense, laser beam focus, however, gets it done.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As I have said before, depends.

On stuff like below, crank up the testosterone all you want. 1705889127519.png

When Mother Nature gets cranky. Best to find the peace and stay on her good side.
1705889208530.png

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Agression and fury, no. With intent, yes.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Not so much aggression and fury. Purpose and drive. Pressure and flow. Reaching and learning. Heart rate and a bit of adrenaline. Hall and Oates. Loggins and Messina. CSN and Young. Alan and Jimmy. Amy & Emily. Willie and Trigger. Bruce and E Street. Paul and Art.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aggression works well for mellow terrain. When the terrain gets tough, I like to find the peace within.

I used to ski aggressively in tougher spots. Now I sometimes ski fast but I think flow and smoothness.

Nothing wrong with attacking the hill on occasion. It can be fun and effective.. I'm just too old for that now.

It behooves on to learn to ski with flow and grace so that one can continue to ski to a ripe old age.

Hakuba

Booting up
Skier
"When we fight, we face our enemy head-on...... we look them in the eye with courage and respect......"
-Ghost of Tsushima

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're talking about my lovely wife then yes:geek: :ogbiggrin:

I hear you bruv, oh I hear you so well… :roflmao: :roflmao:
We need to form a club-The Survivors-the big strong silent men, married to miniature women having all the intensity of 50MT of nuclear goodness whose moto in life is:

1705896591970.jpeg

And when you hear that you know it is time to run for the hills.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, aggression + fury sounds an awful lot like anger. Bad things will happen.
Intense, laser beam focus, however, gets it done.

It is not even that although yes, it is a part of it. It is The Flow-that elusive state when you ski (ride the bike, cast the fly…you name it) in absolute precision without thinking about it, when every move is pitch perfect, pressure on the edges is just so, leaning and countering happen by themselves. Everything works like in a dream.

But yeah, The Flow is hard,hard,hard to find and enter.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is rhythm and flow. Then there is style and grace.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've seem marines train at Mammoth Mountain, so they must ski with "anger and hate"

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aggression works well for mellow terrain. When the terrain gets tough, I like to find the peace within.
Excellent point. I definitely ski better when I am focused and committed on groomers, but I have to sort of detach from "aggression" and relax a bit more in challenging terrain.

As most note, there's "skiing aggressively" and being "aggro." Don't be aggro.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is rhythm and flow. Then there is style and grace.

I am not talking about flow, I am talking about The Flow, The Zone, The Stream…that elusive state of body and mind when you feel invincible, when everything happens by itself, when your fly lands in the coffee cup from 30ft every single time, your turns are perfect Ss and nothing bad can happen no matter how hard you push.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river/ski piste runs through it. ;)

Sponsor