• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do I have to carve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Wow wow wow guys. Wait a minute. I'm not comparing the chick to Reilly.

They, Reilly and the chick, would probably both die or get into a bad accident if they straight lined those runs.

What I'm saying is, the chick is going ridiculously fast. Not as fast than she would if she straight lined it. But still fast.

Same as Reilly. Or probably faster. Either way, they're both fast.

Reilly is doing short turns. It looks fast shot from the side, compared to his short run videos shot from the front, which "look slower".

What I'm saying is carving videos, which are mostly shot from the front, doesn't show how fast carvers go.

My post is not comparing the chick to Reilly. I just posted the Reilly side video as a demonstration of how fast carving is. It's not a comparison video of Reilly vs chick.

Hope that clears it up.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Wow wow wow guys. Wait a minute. I'm not comparing the chick to Reilly.

They, Reilly and the chick, would probably both die or get into a bad accident if they straight lined those runs.

What I'm saying is, the chick is going ridiculously fast. Not as fast than she would if she straight lined it. But still fast.

Same as Reilly. Or probably faster. Either way, they're fast.

Reilly is doing short turns. It looks fast shot from the side compared to his short runs shot from the front.

What I'm saying is carving videos, which are mostly shot from the front, doesn't show how fast carvers go.

My post is not comparing the chick to Reilly. I just posted the Reilly side video to show that videos shot from the front doesn't demonstrate how fast most FRONT (or back) captured videos are.

Hope that clears it up.
I agree about camera angle. But still, you used "washing out" and that comes across as a pejorative. That's what I'm responding to.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I agree about camera angle. But still, you used "washing out" and that comes across as a pejorative. That's what I'm responding to.

Ah ok.

Regarding "washing out the speed", I got that concept from a Paul Lorentz interview by Tom Gellie.

Paul Lorentz was saying there's a maximum speed that one would achieve if a skier straight lines a run.

If the skier carved that run, he/she wouldn't go faster than the speed he/she would achieve if he/she just straight lined it.

That explanation really helped me understand the idea behind carving. That there's possibly no way that I would go fast carving a run vs straight lining it.

That explanation by Lorentz made me comfortable with the speeds that I get with carving vs skidding.

In summary, carving is slower than straight-lining. It's not a pejorative or insult to carve a run to slow down the speed compared to the speed straight lining it. It's just common sense I guess.

Straight lining runs, especially steeps ones, will most likely cause a skier to get into an accident.

We could skid runs, but that's no fun. Or we can carve them. But if it's a steeper run, it takes expert skill (like the chick) to carve it.

I will try to find that interview.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Found it 14:00 here:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding "washing out the speed", I got that concept from a Paul Lorentz interview by Tom Gellie.

Found it 14:00 here:

They do use the term "washing out" but it's as a negative (at 17:52) - it refers to braking when you can't handle the slope or when someone starts to get out of control..... It's not something you want to do.

In general, "washing out" is usually refers to losing a carve, or being unable to carve, when you want to. In that sense, saying someone was "washing out" means they were not skiing well.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
They do use the term "washing out" but it's as a negative (at 17:52) - it refers to braking when you can't handle the slope or when someone starts to get out of control..... It's not something you want to do.

In general, "washing out" is usually refers to losing a carve, or being unable to carve, when you want to. In that sense, saying someone was "washing out" means they were not skiing well.

Got it.

So what would you call it if you slowed down a black run with killer, beautiful, elegant carves, such as the chick was doing?

If you slowed down a black run with forced, uncontrolled skids, you're "washing out" the speed.

But if you slowed down a black run with elegant carves, you're "_____________" the speed?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Got it.

So what would you call it if you slowed down a black run with killer, beautiful, elegant carves, such as the chick was doing?

If you slowed down a black run with forced, uncontrolled skids, you're "washing out" the speed.

But if you slowed down a black run with elegant carves, you're "_____________" the speed?
Not sure if there's a good word... perhaps "controlling"? Or maybe "managing"?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Not sure if there's a good word... perhaps "controlling"? Or maybe "managing"?
Lol. She was washing it out.

If you wash it out skidding, it's a pejorative.

If you wash it out carving, it's controlling/managing*.

*just carving things (trademark)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Got it.

Would you please stop referring to this racer as a "chick"?

I take offense. I rarely take offense. And I don't want to take offense.

But it's hard to ignore this word being used over and over. It shows disrespect for a fantastic racer whose skill will not be equalled by many of the mere mortals on this site. You could say her name instead, for instance.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some nice carving

That is some really, really nice carving on a steep pitch by Giulia Gheza.

Controlling or managing speed through use of line.

Giulia is carving such tight radius turns that she doesn't spend much time skiing directly down the fall line.

In summary, carving is slower than straight-lining. It's not a pejorative or insult to carve a run to slow down the speed compared to the speed straight lining it.

The more edge angle we develop (through a combination of inclination and angulation) the more we can bend the ski and the tighter the radius turn we can carve. The tighter the turns the better we can use line to control speed so the steeper the pitch we can carve without exceeding our own speed comfort zone or not being able to manage forces to make the next turn or running out of room to avoid obstacles.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To the OP

Yes, you have to learn how to carve.

In many situations, if you find carve a turn, you will end up with a very rough ride.

Of course, you cannot, at your level, carve in every steepness or conditions.
You need to learn how to skid as well.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Would you please stop referring to this racer as a "chick"?

I take offense. I rarely take offense. And I don't want to take offense.

But it's hard to ignore this word being used over and over. It shows disrespect for a fantastic racer whose skill will not be equalled by many of the mere mortals on this site. You could say her name instead, for instance.
It's not disrespectful calling an internet female stranger a chick. Don't assume us rec skiers know about or give a damn about personalities in the racing world. Or give a damn about racing.

I know Herminator and Vonn and the gal who lost in Beijing and Marcel. THAT'S IT. And believe me, I already know more than the average skier, who know nothing about racers. Or undertand the format (like what's the difference between SL and GS and downhill and super G).

And I have given this internet stranger female chick skier the props due to her. I recognised that she's an awesome skier. I concurred that she's a skiing goddess. That's respect, skiing wise anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online