• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deacon 80/84 recommended sizing

skiaut

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi forum

Does anyone of you know how the length of the deacons is measured (compared to other brands)? Do they feel longer or shorter compared to similar skis in that category? I read that they do include some tip and tail rocker.

Which length do you recommend for a 182 cm 75 kg advanced skier? Currently, I'm on an Atomic X9 WB predecessor (174 cm, 74mm width, 16m radius), looking for a bit more all-round versatility.

BR skiaut

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’ve skied both skies in the 172 & 177. My take was that the 177 was better at the intended purpose of medium radius, but the 172 was not bad either.

TS
S

skiaut

Skier
I’ve skied both skies in the 172 & 177. My take was that the 177 was better at the intended purpose of medium radius, but the 172 was not bad either.
May I ask how tall you are?

Do have a comparison? I read that ski manufacturers measure ski length differently.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
182 is .. fun on crowded slopes, still flexes to a short radius

either 182 or 177 will work for you though.

TS
S

skiaut

Skier
Thanks for your input!
I won't consider 182 for sure. Just torn between 172 vs 177. Not sure, since the skies are on the lighter side, so am I.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Let me be more specific, at 69 kg, on slopes of moderate pitch (western blue), that are crowded, but not so steep that I can't still control my speed well enough making very clean pure arc-2-arc carved turns on my 13-m radius 165 cm carving ski, even I, a self-confessed carvoholic who has no fear of speed would need to be deliberately shedding speed on every turn with the 182 cm Volkl Deacon 80. Maybe Anders-nor weighs more than I do (enough to bend the skis more than I do at crowd-safe speeds), doesn't mean the same thing by crowded as I do, or has more fun smearing turns than I do.
Just my opinion.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah maybe a bit fatter/taller at 190cm 105KG ish( hey down from 112KG last season!) . thats a factor.

GF has the 172, deacon 84, at 68KG and bends thoose

the 80 is softer/easier to bend than 84.

new perigrine also coming out.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi forum

Does anyone of you know how the length of the deacons is measured (compared to other brands)? Do they feel longer or shorter compared to similar skis in that category? I read that they do include some tip and tail rocker.

Which length do you recommend for a 182 cm 75 kg advanced skier? Currently, I'm on an Atomic X9 WB predecessor (174 cm, 74mm width, 16m radius), looking for a bit more all-round versatility.

BR skiaut

I am bit taller and quite a lot heavier than you and supper happy on 177 VWerks. I’d say they ski their length, not shorter and not longer.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
May I ask how tall you are?

Do have a comparison? I read that ski manufacturers measure ski length differently.
I’m 5’9” & 68 kg, but a lil stronger than average skier

TS
S

skiaut

Skier
Thanks for sharing your experience!
How does the unique 3D radius of Volkl (together with Fischer) work in the real world?
Are there differences between the deacon 80/84 and skis that only have a single radius?

Sponsor

Staff online