• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Custom footbeds: You *MUST* pull the trigger

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you're reading this forum, you're thinking about boots.
If you're thinking about boots, you need to do custom footbeds.
If you're here on Pugski hopefully you're way smarter than I am and you have yours already.

If you have a spouse or significant other who doesn't have custom footbeds yet, please show her/him this post.

Background: I did at least replace the footbeds that came in my new boots with ones that the shop suggested, but I was too cheap to do the custom footbeds. This cheapskate and inner bargain hunter in me rationalized that I'm a low intermediate. I'm a fair-weather skier (don't love ice/scraped off hardpack out East, not a fan of damp cold) and I usually only get between 5 - 10 ski days in a year. Do I really need custom footbeds?

Fast forward a year and a half. It's a bluebird spring Saturday at the start of a week-long trip to Lake Tahoe. That day I got more vertical in during a women's cancer charity fundraiser and clinic day than I had during my entire sad 2017 mid-Atlantic season. In spite of my feet hurting, I was in demo heaven. (Thanks, Bobo's Reno and Head! Awesome reviews of Head Joy skis to come later.)

Back to boots...

Sunday morning I headed to Northstar, excited about their great groomer reputation and about doing some turns later that day with @Tricia and @Philpug. I went to do the top to bottom long green runs for a warm-up. It was awful. My feet were still killing me, but even worse than the day before. I couldn't do it.

Fortunately, I knew where to go. :) That day I had custom footbeds done by the master, @Philpug himself. (If any of you are within a day's drive of Tahoe go see Phil and Tricia at True North.) Phil also tweaked my boots...re-heated the shells, and made them more upright.

What. A. Difference. No more whining and struggling every time I put my boots on. No more getting off the hill after an hour or so to take a break to give my feet a rest from boots that I thought weren't that bad before now.

Bottom line: If you want your skiing to progress, or if you plan to ski more than 2 times a year, get custom footbeds--no matter your current level. As with many things, costs will vary depending on what region you're in, where you go, and what kind you get. But trust me...it will be the best $125 - $225 or so you ever spent. Ever. More important than the boots themselves IMO.

In the locker room I heard a guy talking to a friend visiting from out of town. The visitor was telling his friend how he liked his new boots better than the rentals he had, but his feet still hurt after a day on the slopes. I said: "Custom footbeds. Best thing ever."

He asked, "How do different do they feel from ones you buy off the shelf at the shop?"

I said, "Hmmm... It's kind of like the difference between driving a riding lawn mower and a car."

In short, no comparison.

And in case you had any doubt, @Philpug rocks! :golfclap: :yahoo:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Here here

I got custom footbeds last season and brand new boots this season. New boots were a complete and utter game changer for me. That along with many clinics and hard work I'm a completely different skier then i was last season. I will never claim to know it all and still have lots to learn. However, i attribute my footbed/new boots as the catalyst that changed my skiing forever. Glad Mr and Mrs Pug took care of you. :)

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
:wave: I also got custom footbeds this season along with boot fit with Chris at SkiBootFitters @ Vail. Made me ski better, safer. Justs overall MUCH more control. Turns out I had decent skills but the gear was holding me back (had boots that were too soft for me and also too high volume). The modded Lange RS130's are just awesome for resort skiing. Next year might get an even tighter fit (go down to 26.5's) as suggested by Chris but he made the 27.5's work great.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've had custom footbeds for several seasons, and now I have new boots that have put my legs into proper alignment -- what a difference!

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
I'm still using cork Skithotics from my Atomic Bionic days

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Official verdict by my bootfitter: "Oh you don't need any of that, for your feet footbeds are just about filling up shell space"

If you're thinking about boots, you need to do custom footbeds.
If you're here on Pugski hopefully you're way smarter than I am and you have yours already.

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yes, For some of us, having "regular healthy feet" is a boon. Off the shelf insoles are all that is required.
I do find that the Insta-prints have lasted many years while the off the shelf items get tattered and worn.
In fact, I bet with the Insta-prints , I'm money ahead.

The greatest advantage I experience with well fitting foot beds is the consistent foot SHAPE day in, and day out. Fully weight bearing, or just cruising.
There is an extra degree of comfort when the foot is supported while in action. For some, that might mean "custom fit". for others with the appropriate foot configuration, a shape cut from a sheet of vinyl flooring will work fine. ;-)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I tried and mine sucked. I have fairly flat, wide feet and they just destroyed my feet after 3 or 4 mins. They could have been crap, dunno. But I do find the plain insole to be alright. No trying to discourage anyone, they just didn't do it for me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I tried and mine sucked. I have fairly flat, wide feet and they just destroyed my feet after 3 or 4 mins. They could have been crap, dunno. But I do find the plain insole to be alright. No trying to discourage anyone, they just didn't do it for me.

Tried what?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't use my custom footbeds in my snowboard boots. Stock with a sorbothane heellift works better in those for me. Any ideas why?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Years ago I finally decided to pull the trigger and get custom foot beds. The boot fitter said to be careful the fist couple of turns. Yah right! So I went out on them and made my first right turn and damn near threw myself on the ground. I stopped, considered, then started again. And because I'm a bit slow, made a left turn with the same amount of gusto and again damn near fell. My feet were no longer floating around in the boot and I found that I actually had control over the boot and the ski. Once I learned to be more subtle in my movements my skiing improved.

Bottom line foot beds work. As I tell people, you date skis, you marry boots. Good foot beds are the wedding ring.

Sponsor

Staff online