• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Could someone from the skiing community help me?

j3burns

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Guys

I run a very small bespoke box company in the UK and I am looking to start making boxing to ship ski's.

My biggest conundrum is the best size to pick for a general set of ski's. Or maybe a medium and large size?

I am also wondering however would a skier ever ship a pair of ski's without a protective case or bag before they put it in a box as this would of course effect the size needed.

Any help or advice would be appreciated from your community guys.

In short. What dimensions would you advise someone to create a box to ship ski's?

Many Thanks
John

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I assume you are talking cardboard packaging. What is your market? Manufacturers already have such packaging for shipping.

If it is individuals mailing to a destination for e.g. holiday then this rarely happens. So this probably leaves the eBay market.

Skis go up to around 1950mm × 150mm but can be as small as 1500mm × 95mm. But you'd then need to take account of depth if you are expecting people to ship with bindings on.

TLDR - don't bother unless you actually know what skis are like and what existing shipping solutions are.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
8x8" two-part box that telescopes for skis with bindings

Ex:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
8x8" two-part box that telescopes for skis with bindings

Ex:
What he said.

TS
J

j3burns

Skier
Thank you for all your replies - much appreciated, especially fatbob

TS
J

j3burns

Skier
I assume you are talking cardboard packaging. What is your market? Manufacturers already have such packaging for shipping.

If it is individuals mailing to a destination for e.g. holiday then this rarely happens. So this probably leaves the eBay market.

Skis go up to around 1950mm × 150mm but can be as small as 1500mm × 95mm. But you'd then need to take account of depth if you are expecting people to ship with bindings on.

TLDR - don't bother unless you actually know what skis are like and what existing shipping solutions are.
Is it unusual for a member of the public to sell their ski's online?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How about an 8" wide cardboard sleeve that is flexible enough to bend at the tips for shipping skis stacked flat (without bindings)? Would need to be about 200cms long to hande everything but the longest of skis.

TS
J

j3burns

Skier
How about an 8" wide cardboard sleeve that is flexible enough to bend at the tips for shipping skis stacked flat (without bindings)? Would need to be about 200cms long to hande everything but the longest of skis.
I think this is the route I am going down to start - thanks for taking the time to respond Jilly

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Skis without bindings attached can obviously be shipped in much smaller boxes.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it unusual for a member of the public to sell their ski's online?

No it isn’t and I for once support your idea. I guess I am not the only one who disposes of the box about 2,5 seconds after receiving the new ski from the factory/online shop and then at a certain point I’d like to sell a pair but have no box to ship them. Which is a PITA. So yeah, there is market for that.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
No it isn’t and I for once support your idea. I guess I am not the only one who disposes of the box about 2,5 seconds after receiving the new ski from the factory/online shop and then at a certain point I’d like to sell a pair but have no box to ship them. Which is a PITA. So yeah, there is market for that.
@Tony Storaro You are just trying to dispose of the evidence.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Put some foam or other material between the skis especially if they have binding plates on them. That'll help keep them from scratching each other.

TS
J

j3burns

Skier
ha
@j3burns so you are going to randomly ship skis to people like bespokepost.com?
haha , no mate, i'll start on ebay, and stick my logo on all my adds hoping people have the good sense to google the logo and buy cheaper direct.

It always amazes me how many people dont bother :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
ha

haha , no mate, i'll start on ebay, and stick my logo on all my adds hoping people have the good sense to google the logo and buy cheaper direct.

It always amazes me how many people dont bother :)
Hmmm. You will be advertising your product on Ebay and hoping the buyer will go around Ebay to buy direct so you can save fees?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
he who dares...

i know

loses usually
I've been an entrepreneurial business owner all my life, I've had some very good plans that worked out and one total failure that cost me a bundle. My advice is if you can roll it out with very little initial investment then give it a go. A little niche product that adds to your bottom line is always welcome but "don't bet the farm" as we Yanks like to say.

Sponsor

Staff online