• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Brahama SP/CA vs Bushwacker

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
I noticed that current models of the brahama have a short turning radius (15.5m @ 173 cm). my old bushwackers were 18 m @ 180 cm. I am looking to purchase in the near future either a 2015 bushwacker, a 2017 brahma sp, or a 2018 brahma ca. my concern with the brahama is how well it can smear turns with such a short turning radius. also, does the brahama tend to hook up early in crud/soft snow and powder?

my current daily driver is the volkl rtm-81 (2015 year @ 171 cm...i love this ski dearly!), and I have noticed that it doesn't really like to smear turns. I have taken the rtm-81's out west and skied them in powder, they did ok except for the early edge engagement at the beginning of each turn. i skied the 2014 bushwackers in 173 cm and absolutely loved them, so I'm looking for a similar feeling/performing ski.

my stats: 165 lbs w/ all my gear on, 5'10" tall, advanced skier - skis just about everything except hucking cliffs or riding park. i def go into trees and bumps.

thanks in advance!

TS
Large Squirrel

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
*bump*

Also, I noticed that the turn radius on my rtm-81's is 17-ish m, which is longer than any of the brahama models. Since I haven't ever demo'd the brahamas I don't have a frame of reference from which I can make an informed decision.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry, I saw this and wanted to reply but forgot.

The original Blushwacker was an awesome ski, although over shadowed by the Brahma when that came out. Blizzard then tried to back peddle a bit and remarket the Bushwacker with the Kabookie and Scout as a back country collection and sealed their fate to the back of the store and discount racks, then they disapeared from the collection. The Brahma SP that came out this past season was a look into the future in shape of the new collection but with the lighter & softer core which would become the Brahma CA. The differences between the SP and CA are minimal just with a different topskin in both design and graphics and a slightly thicker edge for durability since the SP was billed to be a rental ski. The same can be said for the Black Pearl SP.

With all that said..what is really important is how they differ on the snow. The difference between the SP and CA barely can be felt by mere mortals, so if you are looking to save a couple of bucks go with this years version. Comparing the new shape with your Bushwacker, don't over think it. the new tighter TR will allow the ski to initiate the turn a bit quicker and the tails holds a bit stronger but it is not world changing, just a nice evolution. The new ski will do everything your Bushwacker did..but better but has evolved with no compromises.

TS
Large Squirrel

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
thanks for insight. i very rarely get to demo blizzard equipment where i am at b/c the rep doesn't make it down to PA very much anymore. don't know what is up with that.....smh.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bushwacker with the Kabookie and Scout as a back country collection and sealed their fate to the back of the store and discount racks, then they disapeared from the collection. The Brahma SP that came out this past season was a look into the future in shape of the new collection but with the lighter & softer core which would become the Brahma CA.

I still own and ski the Bushwacker(but I'm looking to replace it soon), the Kabookie, and a Blizzard 8.0 CA

I'm hoping the Brahma CA is similar in feel to the 8.0 CA because it's my favorite ski of all my skis I own or ever demoed. The Bushwacker in 173 isn't bad. It's fun and pretty versatile but getting a little old(I've used that more than the others...). I haven't skied the Kabookie as much but I actually seem to like it more than the BW nowadays.

Me, I'm 5'8" 150 upper Int./Adv. skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw that review, but it didn't really answer my questions...so that's why I signed up on pugski and asked my questions here ;)
This is the value of the community. Thanks for joining in the fun!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Large Squirrel

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
There is usually an early season demo at Jack Frist and Elk..@Living Proof could give you an idea when that will be. You do have a Mid Atlantic Blizzard rep and he usually attends these demos.

i haven't been to the demos at elk, but i do go to the ones at jack frost. blizzard hasn't been there for at least a couple of years now.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
i haven't been to the demos at elk, but i do go to the ones at jack frost. blizzard hasn't been there for at least a couple of years now.
Is the Jack Frost one a Buckmans demo and (sorry for my lack of memory) do they carry Blizzard? If not, that is probably why.

TS
Large Squirrel

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Is the Jack Frost one a Buckmans demo and (sorry for my lack of memory) do they carry Blizzard? If not, that is probably why.

JF has a couple of demo days, but i don't think buckmans does one there. buckmans does several during the season at different mtns. i've only been to the one they do at camelback. blizzard used to come down for that demo day, but they haven't in recent years that i have been there. buckmans does carry blizzard.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
Sort of on topic:
Soon I intend buying new skis in the 85 to 90mm width range. I am looking for an all round travel ski .The Brahma CA is one ski I am interested in. The other 2 are the Nordica Navigator 85 and Atomic Vantage 90 .
Any advice about the relative strengths and "weaknesses " of these skis would be greatly appreciated.
I will try to demo but I suspect that may turn out to be hard to organise.
Me : oldish (65) pretty active , 5 '11', 165 lbs irregular long time skier, 15 to 30 days a year in one block of time but some years no skiing at all. Ability : I recently took part in a level 7 lesson at a large Western resort and everybody in it was noticeably an even worse skier than me. I ski at moderate speeds compared to many people. 50/50 groomers , preferably not but happy either way if snow is good .
Lastly : length . My current skis are Nordica Hot Rods 170cm length. I have previously chosen length by choosing , hopefully , an appropriate ski, then buying the second longest length. This would mean Brahma 180, Nordica 179 or Atomic 176. The Atomic which seems to be aimed at skiers of greater ability than the other two seems the odd one out in terms of length ? All are a bit longer than I am used to.
Any advice / opinions very welcome.
Thanks Mike .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome Mike.

All three of your choices are great for what you are asking for, not a bad one in the bunch. While all three are physically longer than you are used to, they all will be a lot easier to ski due to shape, rocker and flex. The Vantage will be the easiest to turn and slower to moderate speeds, the Nordica with it's very good Hammerhead tip from the Enforcer wil be the best in mixed conditions and the Brahma will be the best at wanting yoru attention. Going by what you said, the Nordica woudl be the first one I would grab off the rack but the other two are not bad choices either, we re talking nuance differences. There is not a bad choice there, just the Nordica is slightly better.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
There is not a bad choice there, just the Nordica is slightly better.

Which is very much a matter of taste and pteference, IMO. I found the Navigator lacking in pop and a bit hooky at the end of the turn. The Atomic I found a bit wandering in crud and not the most grippy on hard snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Which is very much a matter of taste and pteference, IMO. I found the Navigator lacking in pop and a bit hooky at the end of the turn. The Atomic I found a bit wandering in crud and not the most grippy on hard snow.
I am suggesting the ski for the the person asking the question, not for you or what I would choose.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I know. I was merely stating that in suggestions too there is difference in interpretation in how skis feel and what sort of conditions they are best suitable for. There are as many experiences of skis as there are skiers that skied them.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Phil, Thats exactly the sort f advice I was looking for.
I used to read Epic and posted there very occasionally . Congratulations on the general vibe at PugSki which seems much better than at Epic.
Cheer Mike

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
I saw that review, but it didn't really answer my questions...so that's why I signed up on pugski and asked my questions here ;)

We always encourage readers to comment on our articles if they have further questions. We love the discussion and it helps shape future reviews!

Sponsor

Staff online