• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Sibhusky - are the authorities considering any action regarding this specific bear? (move, kill, etc) - and what, if anything, do you think should be done? Do you feel differently now than you did before the attack?

Feel free to disregard if these questions feel too personal.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
No, they are not. It was not a case of predation in their opinion. I would have liked them moved. The DNA will be in their database in case this bear has future encounters. Do I feel differently than before? Well, before I didn't think it was more than the occasional grizzly back there. I knew there had been incident of some kind over thirty years ago, but that was it. Now I know there are at least SIX. Yikes.

The area (roughly 3000 acres of which our immediate section is sort of an in holding) has been logging lands, but was recently put into a conservation trust. There will still be logging, but it can't be sold off into homes. The Whitefish Legacy folks are planning hiking/biking trails (maintained as opposed to the deer trails that have become local hiking and now single track through usage). There will be a parking lot about two miles west of here for access. Now the proposed system didn't appear to swing quite into the area of the attack, but it's a semi-active logging road that connects at the south end to asphalt and a neighborhood, and at the northern section to several other logging roads and that proposed trail system (ignoring the existing "system" just pounded down by animals and people already). I don't know how an official marked trail system isn't going to bring more people. Are these six grizzly going to leave? Move up the mountain range a ways? I would hope so, but if not this will not be the only incident.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
:)

Damn, you have to be quick here. I was just coming in to tell that one.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^^^ Me too hahaha. This sparked some discussions with MrsCRGildart since we're planning a trip to Yellostone and surrounding areas next June. I told her she has permission to hit me with bear spray if there is a bear on top of me.. and permission to hit me in the face if the bear is gnawing on my face, I hope she does hahahaha..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^^^ Me too hahaha. This sparked some discussions with MrsCRGildart since we're planning a trip to Yellostone and surrounding areas next June. I told her she has permission to hit me with bear spray if there is a bear on top of me.. and permission to hit me in the face if the bear is gnawing on my face, I hope she does hahahaha..
If you guys can make it down through Tahoe, you have a place to stay.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you guys can make it down through Tahoe, you have a place to stay.
Thanks. We're leaning towards renting an RV in SLC to take up and back. We'll try to hook up if possible somewhere. You place if the shitter's full hahahahaha!

images

Seriously though, will let you know our I-10 when we make the reservations solid..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say it was a smart bear, it attacked when @Sibhusky was not present. From what I know about Sib, her verses the bear...my money is on Sib. :hail:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I picked a good day to have a migraine. It then lasted until he got home from the hospital. My daughter was welcome assistance, since she used vacation days to stay until he got home. He wasn't in the local hospital, but down in Kalispell because that's where the bear attack doctors work.

Part of me wonders what would have ensued with me there? But since the bear didn't initially understand the number of people until it was through the bushes and looked around, not sure that would have changed things. Maybe we'd have been talking louder and making more noise, but maybe it would have just been a bigger mess. As it was, the fact that I was home and could direct personal where to go was important. I was able to summon two neighbors to assist in flagging the ambulance (yeah, no one knows about this house) and forwarding them on.
Phil, I'm not known for taking on bears. Last time I stood behind my daughter and husband until the bear left. Of course, they had their spray out and ready, while I had a camera in my hands. What can I say? I was taking pictures when it appeared. That was a much more peaceful bear that time.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This popped into my mind today. How's the family healing?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ I'm sorry to hear this. My sincere wishes for quick and complete healing..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mrs crgildart had a craniotamy to remove a brain tumor in early 2004. It took about 7 weeks for the scalp trauma to heal well enough to even comb what was left of her hair. She still has no feeling on parts of her scalp and weird sensations, heat, tingling, itching, on other parts where it has been peeled back then sewn back together. I have some idea of the type of care and management Mr Sib needs. He's a HERO too! Not many fight a bear face to face in the jaws of the beast and live to tell about it regardless of what they have available as a weapon.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
*hugs*

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
damn, that's scary!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The details in that article about the attacks are eye opening. The statistics are crazy.
From the article.
Such attacks are rare. Rick Sinnott, a wildlife biologist who previously worked at Alaska’s department of fish and game, said there have only been six fatal bear attacks in the state in 130 years of records.
“So all of the sudden to have two in the course of two days, it’s a lightning strike,” Sinnott told CBS.

Sponsor

Staff online