• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Attack 13's TOO CHEAP?

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
First off, I am a born skeptic. I am finding Attack 13's for as little as $114.00. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but that is really inexpensive for a set of quality bindings.
The skeptic in me says that if dealers can sell them this cheap, has anything changed in their quality?
So, not being a binding expert, I'm wondering if there is any way to confirm that the various components remain high quality? Or does this have something to do with the new '17/'18's (the various colors) causing the 2017's or earlier being blown out to make room for the new ones?. I'll be buying three new sets, so trying to be careful.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a pair of Attack 13's from Level 9 a month ago for about that price and I took a look in the box when I got them. They seem fine, but I will take a closer look when I get home and compare them to others I have mounted on skis. Without looking too hard, they seem the same.

I got a really good price on a pair of Salomon STH14_2's and they have been perfectly fine. I suspect some stores have excess stock and just want to make sure they clear them out before restocking for next year. Not every store drops their price really low during summer clearance.

I did buy a pair of bindings one summer at a very low price and it turns out they were minus the brakes. Replacement brakes aren't cheap, so I sent them back and paid a little more for the "binding and brake" set.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First off, I am a born skeptic. I am finding Attack 13's for as little as $114.00. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but that is really inexpensive for a set of quality bindings.
The skeptic in me says that if dealers can sell them this cheap, has anything changed in their quality?
So, not being a binding expert, I'm wondering if there is any way to confirm that the various components remain high quality? Or does this have something to do with the new '17/'18's (the various colors) causing the 2017's or earlier being blown out to make room for the new ones?. I'll be buying three new sets, so trying to be careful.

Hit the nail on the head with the bold. But not just the various colors. My understanding is the new Attack 13 will be similar to the current Attack 14AT which has a MNC toe piece to adapt to different boot sole types.

TS
Scotty I.

Scotty I.

Skier
I did buy a pair of bindings one summer at a very low price and it turns out they were minus the brakes. Replacement brakes aren't cheap, so I sent them back and paid a little more for the "binding and brake" set

I know. I've seen this too. Skeptical me suspects that selling bindings without brakes is just a way to stock another sku and, hence, an additional profit item. $50 for a "pro" brake is pretty insulting.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

There is no problem with the bindings at all. Tyrolia has changed the toe piece for 17-18 so whatever's left over is on close out. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to ski the 16-17... matter of fact, they'll still will be on my daily grind ski. An older pair of Attack 16's will most likely be mounted on a Kore 105 as well FWIW. I've also bought Free Flex Pro 16's on closeout at Level 9 after using up my season 'allotment'.

Last edited:

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
So where are these $114 Attack 13's? I'd be in for a pair at that price.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know. I've seen this too. Skeptical me suspects that selling bindings without brakes is just a way to stock another sku and, hence, an additional profit item. $50 for a "pro" brake is pretty insulting.

Attack's are available with a brake and without with a MAP of $199 and $179 respectively. On that note the MSRP of the brakes are indeed $50.00 but the MAP on the brakes are $30.00 which is well in line with most other brakes out there. Yes, Tyrolia does offer extra SKU's but it is for a reason.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Bindings are sold separately so that one binding can be stocked and sold with different size brakes. It is cheaper to stock the bindings and get more than enough brakes in various sizes for a range of ski widths.

TS
Scotty I.

Scotty I.

Skier
Bindings are sold separately so that one binding can be stocked and sold with different size brakes. It is cheaper to stock the bindings and get more than enough brakes in various sizes for a range of ski widths

I understand what you're saying, but I prefer how Level Nine, for example, sells some (not all) of their bindings with your choice of brakes included in the selling price. At $50.00 retail and $30.00 MAP, there is a UUUGE margin in that little piece of metal. @SkiEssentials tells me that they have a box full of brakes there for the asking (assuming you bought something from them).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They sell them together, but I don't think they always stock them in inventory together. They are just mating the brake and binding at the time of sale. With Attacks you'd get two boxes, one with bindings, one with brakes (IIRC) whether the price them as one or separately.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I do unbox a lot of bindings and brakes.

Sponsor

Staff online