• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 110 vs 130

JBR05

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Currently have the Atomic Hawx Ultra 100s, finding they are just too soft. Looking to get into more back country skiing, hence the xtd range is the way to go. Just unsure on the flex. I’d say I’m a fairly advanced skier (skied since I was 3), weigh 60kg and 5’9. Tried on the 130s and they don’t feel crazy stiff, and the 110s seem to soft, like the ones I have now. Thoughts?

TS
J

JBR05

Skier
Could you compare it to the flex of an alpine boot, what would it be rated?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could you compare it to the flex of an alpine boot, what would it be rated?

The new Hawx XTD are very nice. Very alpine-like touring boots. Compared to my 130 alpine boots the 130 XTD feel about…I don’t know maybe 110-115 but I only tried them once so you really need to test them yourself.

TS
J

JBR05

Skier
Would you say the performance of a crossover boot like the XTD is similar to the alpines?

Schussboelie

Booting up
Skier
Would you say the performance of a crossover boot like the XTD is similar to the alpines?
Unfortunately no.
I bought the Hawx Prime 130 XTD for that reason and they're a really good boot.
On the groomers though, The forward flex is really soft.
I can quite easily push them so that the midfoot starts bulging and they just give way, resulting is a dramatic pressure loss on the front of the ski.
Laterally they are fine.

They are a purposely light boot with thinner walls. And it shows.
To the extent that I'm now looking to buy a club sport or consumer race boot again.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Depends on what ski you intend to drive. For narrow, stiff piste carvers that’s gonna be a No.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately no.
I can quite easily push them so that the midfoot starts bulging and they just give way, resulting is a dramatic pressure loss on the front of the ski.
Laterally they are fine.

They are a purposely light boot with thinner walls. And it shows.
To the extent that I'm now looking to buy a club sport or consumer race boot again.

Which Primes? These:

1705939873689.jpeg

What ski did you try to drive in them?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd go 130's. According to the super-certified dude who fit my boots, Atomic Hawks shells are designed to stretch a lot in the fitting process, much more than say Langes. It's hard to relate how this translates to how they feel skiing, but for me the Hawks 130 shell felt like a softer shell trying to be a stouter shell. They were stiff enough in quick little situations, but if you leans on them for a couple seconds they would start to bend. Definitely not for me!

Quite comfortable though, and fitter was right - they can be molded pretty radically. So anyway my instinct (other opinions and ymmv!) is go 130 and don't worry at all about it being too much.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can totally see this - not far of my experience of non-touring Hawks.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, this one (last year's):
AE5027240__6ffc522d360bb3821b9acd7162ae0825.png

They run fine in my Atomic Backland FR 109, but as said, when pushed on a Stöckli Laser SL they literally just fold.

Yes, I have the Hawx Ultra from the same year and yes, their 130 has nothing in common with the 130 of the alpine boots.

This year’s models however are vastly different, Atomic changed the plastic from PA to PU and the current models are much more like alpine boots.
Make no mistake, they will still not drive the Lasers as they should be pushed but will be MUCH better in this. Try them if you can.

Schussboelie

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I have the Hawx Ultra from the same year and yes, their 130 has nothing in common with the 130 of the alpine boots.

This year’s models however are vastly different, Atomic changed the plastic from PA to PU and the current models are much more like alpine boots.
Make no mistake, they will still not drive the Lasers as they should be pushed but will be MUCH better in this. Try them if you can.
Thanks for the heads-up!
That being said, I don't think I'll replace a one year old boat with new ones, more likely I will just add a molded CS or something to my gear and keep both.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the heads-up!
That being said, I don't think I'll replace a one year old boat with new ones, more likely I will just add a molded CS or something to my gear and keep both.

Way to go! You can’t go wrong with CS if they fit you-power in spades. Love mine.

TS
J

JBR05

Skier
Got the 130s, thanks for the contributions.

TS
J

JBR05

Skier
New ones, no BOA. Wasn’t a huge fan of the BOA, sticking to the basics. Will share my thoughts.

Sponsor

Staff online