• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are Marker XComp 16 too light for Masters SL 6' 2", 210lbs

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought what I hope were the right bindings for some current Volkl SL FIS with plates, Marker XComp 16. The Marker site says they are "High performance for lighter racing novices and demanding experts with lower body weight.", and while I might suck at racing I am not "lighter weight" or "lower body weight" (https://markerbindings.com/en-us/p/xcomp-16).

Just confirming what I think is pretty obviously true--I need to get the next level up-- Comp 20 NG (https://markerbindings.com/en-us/p/comp-20-ng) I am guessing. Or is there another race binding I can use with the Volkl SLs?

Unless the fact that I will only use them for slalom matters, so perhaps I don't need the beefier bindings?

thanks

Breck

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ignore the nonsense marketing copy. What DIN setting do you run on your SL skis? The next step up would be the XComp 18 or old style Comp 20. The 18 has a minimum DIN of 8 and the 20 has a minimum of 11. As long as your required DIN setting is not at either extreme end, any of these will work. If you are not running a DIN of 13, or higher, the 20 is overkill. The "lightweight" part really just refers to the construction of the binding. The 16 and 18 use magnesium toe wings, but the heel is reinforced plastic. The 20 moves up to a mag heel piece. As you move up in DIN ratings, the bindings get noticeably heavier. One other small difference is the stack height at the toe. Everything 16 and under has a taller stack height. Both the 18 and 20 use the same lower stack height. Depending on your preferences, and which binding your choose, you may need to shim the toe or heel.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll mimic @nnowak and ask where you set your release at?
The lowest settings on the 18 or 20 may be out of your range.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll mimic @nnowak and ask where you set your release at?
The lowest settings on the 18 or 20 may be out of your range.

Well, I am a telemark skier, I actually race slalom masters, and my DIN setting is either 0 or infinity depending on your perspective--i.e. don't have release bindings. So I don't know what my DIN is. All my releases have involved bending steel so far or random dropping off due to incorrectly installed shift plates.

So is 16 a reasonable max for my somewhat plump self in slalom? Depending on how this all goes I may do one run telemark, one run alpine just to track my relative progress when racing masters.

thanks all

Breck

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
the 16 will work. Personally I would go with the 18 instead which IIRC has more metal in it than the 16. And remember the X comp (16/18/24) bindings are not the same as the Comp 20 (which is an excellent and bombproof binding)! but the Din starts at 11. Great to see it brought back by Marker!

Personally i prefer to run a higher DiN binding at the lower end of the scale rather than a lower Din at a high setting even if the nominal DIN setting is the same. Hard to prove conclusively but in my experience the elasticity (return to center) seems to be better with high din/low setting.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ignore the nonsense marketing copy. What DIN setting do you run on your SL skis? The next step up would be the XComp 18 or old style Comp 20. The 18 has a minimum DIN of 8 and the 20 has a minimum of 11. As long as your required DIN setting is not at either extreme end, any of these will work. If you are not running a DIN of 13, or higher, the 20 is overkill. The "lightweight" part really just refers to the construction of the binding. The 16 and 18 use magnesium toe wings, but the heel is reinforced plastic. The 20 moves up to a mag heel piece. As you move up in DIN ratings, the bindings get noticeably heavier. One other small difference is the stack height at the toe. Everything 16 and under has a taller stack height. Both the 18 and 20 use the same lower stack height. Depending on your preferences, and which binding your choose, you may need to shim the toe or heel.
Slight correction as I grabbed the wrong binding when I was checking earlier. The XComp 18 does indeed have a Mag heel piece. Besides the lower stack height of the toe, there are a few other subtle changes like delrin slides in the toe wings instead of the roller wheels that are on the lower models.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well, I am a telemark skier, I actually race slalom masters, and my DIN setting is either 0 or infinity depending on your perspective--i.e. don't have release bindings. So I don't know what my DIN is. All my releases have involved bending steel so far or random dropping off due to incorrectly installed shift plates.

So is 16 a reasonable max for my somewhat plump self in slalom? Depending on how this all goes I may do one run telemark, one run alpine just to track my relative progress when racing masters.

thanks all

Breck
What is your age and boot sole length? Those details, plus your height and weight, will determine your DIN setting. Once you know your DIN setting, picking the right binding will be much easier. Odds are, the Comp 20 will be too much.

Sponsor