• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone wear a knee warmer post ACL reconstruction? Any recs?

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is something I didn't anticipate, but makes sense. My knee that I had surgery on gets noticeably colder when it dips below freezing. It starts with just an odd slightly cold feeling inside my knee where the hardware is. This isn't anything painful, just annoying since I really prefer not to notice any wonky body parts. Today it was a little colder, but not super cold (26F) out when I was walking the dogs, with a brisk wind. By the end of a half hour walk, my entire right leg was colder than my left one. I don't really want to put on a full baselayer when going outside in the winter since I'm trying to even things out between legs, but maybe a knee warmer/ sleeve on the one side could help. I took a quick look online and knee warmers do exist. Anyone here use one for skiing or biking?

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven't (and I've had an ACL recon, as well as two other injuries on the same knee), but I have worn kneepads for ice skating and they do keep my knees a little warmer than the rest of my legs. It's a rather localized warming, though. Another thing that comes to mind is maybe there was a little swelling in your knee that affected circulation in the leg.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is something I didn't anticipate, but makes sense. My knee that I had surgery on gets noticeably colder when it dips below freezing. It starts with just an odd slightly cold feeling inside my knee where the hardware is. This isn't anything painful, just annoying since I really prefer not to notice any wonky body parts. Today it was a little colder, but not super cold (26F) out when I was walking the dogs, with a brisk wind. By the end of a half hour walk, my entire right leg was colder than my left one. I don't really want to put on a full baselayer when going outside in the winter since I'm trying to even things out between legs, but maybe a knee warmer/ sleeve on the one side could help. I took a quick look online and knee warmers do exist. Anyone here use one for skiing or biking?
Maybe a bit of overkill and it's not an actual warmer but they do keep your knees warm... in fact mine get too hot sometimes under these. Super Light, articulated for freedom of movement, warm and protective. I always use when Tele or woods trailblazing during alpine skiing.

Check the reviews and esp statements by reviewers on here:

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't (and I've had an ACL recon, as well as two other injuries on the same knee), but I have worn kneepads for ice skating and they do keep my knees a little warmer than the rest of my legs. It's a rather localized warming, though. Another thing that comes to mind is maybe there was a little swelling in your knee that affected circulation in the leg.
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I've been more diligent about my PT exercises lately, but my knees measure roughly the same size. Perhaps there is some slight swelling. It does seem to be in part circulatory, since it starts at the hardware points but moves up the thigh as time passes.

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe a bit of overkill and it's not an actual warmer but they do keep your knees warm... in fact mine get too hot sometimes under these. Super Light, articulated for freedom of movement, warm and protective. I always use when Tele or woods trailblazing during alpine skiing.

Check the reviews and esp statements by reviewers on here:

Those could work for skiing, thanks! My ortho wants me to wear a brace when I ski, hopefully something like that will fit with it.

In the mean time, I did a little experiment today and think I found a cheap and easy hack at least for dog walking. Requirements for my goldilocks knee-- nothing that will restrict circulation, nothing that will slide down my thigh and annoy me, no velcro to snag my clothing, nothing that will be uncomfortable for a 45 - 60 minute walk. Solution-- cut the toe off an old pretty worn out merino crew sock and pull it up over my knee with the heel part over my knee cap. Warm, comfy, and washable. And I'm sure if I look through my sock drawer I can find another pair ripe for sacrifice. It wasn't too cold out this morning, but I did notice a difference.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why not just get an actual knee compression sleeve? They can feel good plus they may help with function.

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
That might well be the next step if I find my thigh on that leg is still getting colder when the temperature dips. But for now I was happy to walk the boys without noticing the hardware locations.

BlueSky

Booting up
Skier
When my knee was bothered by the cold after my knee surgery I used and old pair of Yoga leg warmers. Old and stretched out, it fit perfectly over my knee brace.

Sponsor

Staff online