• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anthony Lakes Cat Skiing?

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I'm traveling to Washington next weekend and am thinking of checking this place out along the way. The price looks right, $199 for a full day including lunch. There doesn't seem to be much out there about it, looks like some meadow skipping terrain that could be fun?

Anyone been there and have an opinion?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
199 sounds awesome. Even if its 5-6 runs of decent soft snow that would be worth.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Yeah, I can't believe the $199 price tag. When my buddy mentioned cat skiing I was thinking no way, then he mentioned $199, in! We're booked for next Friday morning, I'll be sure and take some pics and bring back a report.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd love to know how it is. I actually just had a friend down in OR try to convince me to make the drive down there since we've been getting rain in the Cascades and I balked. $199 cat skiing though, that's an interesting proposition.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did it years ago. It's a great deal, and great fun in a beautiful setting (they were getting POUNDED yesterday evening on my way through).

But the correct mindset is required. There is nothing huge or epic about it, but some days, that's a better approach anyway IMO.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Snow quality should be very good. Enjoy Baker/La Grande. Burns is just Southwest.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Wow, this place exceeded my expectations. I went in thinking we'd be meadow skipping on low angle terrain.

We scheduled this place as a good half to a drive up to Washington to meet up with the BBI16 participants. It's about 6-7 hours from Salt Lake to Baker City, which is where we stayed the night. We drove up Thursday, checked into our hotel in Baker City and took a drive up to the mountain.

The mountain range rises up from farmland, it was rather foggy and we only knew we were going uphill by the steady accumulation of snow on the road. Once you start rising above the farm fields the terrain quickly changes to deep alpine snow. Being in Eastern Oregon the trees aren't quite as large and sport a bit less moss than their brethren on the Western side of the state. That also means the powder is a bit different species as well. Whereas the Western side of Oregon breeds the heavier snow that coats the mountainside and creates famous cascade concrete, Anthony Lakes resides in a much drier climate that results in more enjoyable riding conditions.

Driving into the lot we couldn't see much as it was pretty foggy and snowing fairly well, always a sign that things are looking up. We could see the one chairlift and the main face it services, there were still plenty of untracked lines remaining. The lift served area is open from Thursday to Sunday, lift tickets are $35 and Thursday's are half off. The area seems to survive from local kids programs and dedicated local skiers.

We kicked the tires on the place a bit, drove through the RV lot (which included hook ups), and checked out the throwback lodge. If skiing has a soul it resides somewhere near Anthony Lakes. While researching dinner choices it seemed Barley Brown Brew Pub was the call. We decided to hit up the brew pub first and sample some of their goods, it was pretty funny to see a Bassett hound seeming to be at home, entertaining the bar. We started chatting with the owner of the hound only to find out it was Chelsea from Anthony Lakes who we'd been emailing with securing our reservation. At that point I'd fallen in love with the town, the rural feel and closeness of the uncrowded range had me calling my wife proclaiming I'd found our retirement town.

The next morning we awoke to a 7 inch in 24 hours report. Driving up the road was snow covered and once again fog dominated. We were convinced we'd be having a soup day and were resigned to the fact. About 3/4 of the way up the drive we burst through the cloud layer, the glorious sun became the dominant force and burned off any clouds.

We checked in and paid our ridiculously cheap price of $199. Yes, I said $199, that price included delicious cinnamon rolls and coffee for breakfast, a sack lunch including a decent sub, chips, orange, granola bar, and a cookie. We signed the usual waivers and those that needed beacons were provided them with no additional charge.

This place has been running cat trips since the 70's, as such they have their terrain pretty well dialed. We loaded onto a luxurious cat, the seats were like a greyhound bus, plenty of hooks for gear, warmth and a fan circulating air, sound system ready for your music source (although it does cut out a bit, heh). On our way up the guides introduced themselves and ran over safety protocols and the plans for the day. As we climbed past the lift served area we had plenty of time to all introduce ourselves and get to know one another.

Our cat was filled mostly with a group from Portland that had been out the day prior, which was the first day of the season for the cat. My buddy from Michigan, myself and a pair from Park City rounded out our group. The cat took us up to the top of their permitted terrain. The cat terrain is quite a bit larger than their lift served area, the terrain surrounding both of those are even larger, the touring possibilities are endless, although with the pressure you wouldn't have to go far to get away.

Once we were atop the ridge line the lead guide set a track and pretty let us have at it. We followed Cougar ridge down a bit and trended left into upper horseshoe. My thoughts of meadow skipping were quickly gone as we encountered kick ass steep timbered lines. Diving down into slots between pines began the day. There were just enough openings to allow you to throttle up between trees.

This began a lather rinse repeat for the day. What began as a strong group became stronger as folks tired and dropped out, we lost two at mid day and another soon after lunch. Don't get me wrong, these people had a spectacular day and didn't detract from our pick ups, but the group picked up speed as the day went on and we tallied 12 runs for the day. I rarely crossed a track all day, if I did I merely cut right or left a bit and quickly found the freshness.

The snow was better up top and we milked the upper stretches for laps after lunch (which was eaten in the cat on the way up to insure more runs) To end the day we hit a couple top to bottom runs and then finished on Poster Ridge, some steep turns down to the bottom of the resort area.

We ended up doing 12 runs, we were supposed to do a shorty to pick up 1 for our last run, but the cat driver had switched to guiding us and had "gotten lost" on the way down and we ended up with a top to bottom run. I can't say enough about the place, the people you encounter truly love the area and not only have been there for years but have ties to the community.

Kyle, Keith, and Mark made our trip stellar, even after skiing Alpental today with a kick ass crew I'm still dreaming of Anthony Lakes turns.

Baker City, Barley Browns Brew Pup is highly recommended.

image.jpeg

The soul of skiing.

image.jpeg

Base facilities.

image.jpeg

Yeah, that's the prices, Thursday is half off...

image.jpeg

The clouds burst throug...

image.jpeg

Load up, Kyle and Mark.

image.jpeg

Trail map...

image.jpeg

Pickup 1, Bert's Trees. Kick ass quick terrain pod, steep trees that allowed us to quickly climb to the top.

image.jpeg

We didn't take many action pics even though we had a bit of a lull between cat rides, the lulls were short and the group was moving along pretty well.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
12 cat runs for 199 dollars?

FKNA! dude that is freaking amazing.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Next time the snow's good I'd like to go.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great report!!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like they have cranked it up a bit from the time I went eons ago, when they were just getting started. We did it as an "add on" to a group package, and we only got 6 runs, but it was $50. I am not kidding.

Baker City is a cool spot, both literally and figuratively. When we drive through on the way to Jackson and Sun Valley every year, it is ALWAYS the coldest temp of the trip, which is a great thing in the usually just a bit too warm to be ideal PNW.

Four hours from home. Gotta get back out there, so thanks for the report and pics!

(3-day gathering next year? I would pick up a reasonable number of people from the Portland airport. Have Sprinter, will travel!).

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I'm keeping an eye on the weather forecasts, I'm thinking of hitting it up again if the opportunity of a weekend storm comes through.

Bonus pic...

DSCN0763.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Went back again this past weekend. This time I took the wife and two youngest children along, we VRBO'd a house in Baker City. We ended up staying at the house of one of the Brown family children of the family that owns Barley Brown's Brewpub. The house came with a growler and a certificate for a free re-fill, score!

We headed up Friday morning and spent Saturday poking around the area, both my wife and I have become convinced it's the area for us. We drove up to Sumpter Saturday morning, although beautiful I don't think it's where we'd want to buy, a bit too far from any decent skiing. Next we drove over to Enterprise and Joseph, holy crap, what a beautiful area! Lake Wallowa is stunning with the Wallowa mountains towering behind it. I could definitely see myself living there, the touring around the area is unlimited and a small T-bar operation nearby provides Saturday and Sunday turns for next to nothing.

Once again Anthony Lakes catskiing came through, we were worried in that they had gone out the day before and no new snow in between. Just like last time our day started with Cougar Ridge to shake out and make sure all the participants were worthy. The group was strong and moved pretty fast. The place is really unknown and everyone but us was from the Portland or Bend area and one guy from nearby. It was still the $199 it was the last go-round and the cinnamon rolls were just as tasty to start the day. After a top to bottom run on Cougar Ridge we stayed mostly to Bert's Trees. They'd skied most of the terrain yesterday but kept that pod in the pocket for us. Bert's is about 550 vertical feet, it provides quick pick-ups on a nicely gladed pitch. The snow was set up just a bit, surfy conditions that provided big grins. We ended up doing 12 runs back there and one back on sidecountry into the resort.

Once again the guide, driver and patrol made the day. Both the guide (John) and driver (Gunnar) live in the lot at Anthony Lakes. I think they both enjoyed telling the clients where they lived, lol, John and his girlfriend live in a Westfalia and Gunnar in a Sprinter, both in the RV lot. Zach was the patroller sent with us, he lives in La Grande and was helpful in knowledge of the area which I thirst.

I can't say enough about the operation, I truly think they undervalue themselves, I'd easily pay more money for the experience.

About a 6 1/2 to 7 hour drive from SLC depending on children bathroom breaks, rolling into Baker City.

95D6875C-6761-4C2A-8B54-28F4E3B61EDA.jpeg

Joseph is spectacular, beautiful lake that is surrounded by towering mountains filled with non cascade concrete. We had scoped out the Joseph city park online and took the little guy for a play after being cooped up in the car for a few hours.

569690B2-1604-4074-B3E2-92FE4E410E2C.jpeg

Drove around lake Wallowa.

F4F39CFC-2CD4-430E-84FA-88FCD3B11700.jpeg

056DC382-6FAA-40B9-8049-C99B68F6BCBB.jpeg

Driving up to Anthony Lakes.

6BB04477-20EA-4EE5-92FA-0D0FA9F2B3C2.jpeg

173DD37C-3C2A-48F0-B082-56954E61CB21.jpeg

Ladybug.

C7544549-BA6B-40D1-8CC1-BEE4ABD5E1EB.jpeg

B0C60548-9981-4D78-92B2-F7B5277B7AB8.jpeg

Couple pics my buddy Doug got of me.

0D88B717-1554-4136-A817-EE89BFB2833D.jpeg

82A3E6C3-11AF-4C05-8A45-3BF5F11FC6FD.jpeg

Short video of my buddy Doug making some marketing turns.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
@BobMc great write up and I remember reading your 1st adventure there as well. I have 3 questions I hope you can answer.

1. Do they run every day in prime season?

2. Do they book up far in advance or could I score 1 or 2 seats about a week in advance?

3. How's the drive from Boise? Could a rental AWD make it?

Thanks very much

Ps I also really enjoy your Snowbird tales

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice report, but how's the traffic on a powder day?;);)

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
@BobMc great write up and I remember reading your 1st adventure there as well. I have 3 questions I hope you can answer.

1. Do they run every day in prime season? They're only open Thursday through Sunday, they only run a cat if they have 8 or more people booked.

2. Do they book up far in advance or could I score 1 or 2 seats about a week in advance? Not sure on how far in advance they book out, I reserved a month before our trip and couldn't get a Saturday.

3. How's the drive from Boise? Could a rental AWD make it? Easy drive over from Boise, no obstacles on the drive.

Thanks very much

Ps I also really enjoy your Snowbird tales

Sponsor

Staff online