• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All Things Subaru

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was thinking maybe we need some brand specific threads to talk brand specific praises and issues.

Been pretty happy with my 2009 Forester so far. Been using the coolant additive to prevent head gasket problems and it seems to be working at 70K still not using too much coolant or oil.

Couple of less major quirks to mention though. Power steering seems to struggle at very low RPMs, especially when the engine isn't warmed up.

Took it in for brakes at 50K miles less than a week after hearing the chirping and one of the rear rotors was already wrecked. Today at 71K it went back to the same Midas shop for brakes again. One rear pad was at zero (chirping) but the rest are fine?? Ether they put it on wrong or something odd is happening with that particular caliper.

Midas said there is a lot of rust on the rotors and that might be causing problems. Don't live in salt the roads country and get a thorough wash including under carriage when I return from the mountains or the beach. I don't use the brakes coming down much and prefer the manual shifting to slow down. Don't forget to take off the emergency brake either..

Anyone else have brake issues with recent model Subies?

What else, good and bad

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had my fair share of Subaru's...

83 Subaru DL5 SW, Silver
82 Subaru GL4 4WD SW Blue
83 Subaru GLA SW Red
85 Subaru BRAT Silver
86 Subaru BRAT Blue
88 Subaru Justy GL 4WD 5sp Red
90 Subaru Legacy L+ AWD SW Red
96 Subaru Outback SW White
98 Subaru Outback LTD SW green
99 Subaru Forester Green
00 Subaru Legacy SW Red
00 Subaru 2.5 RS Coupe Silver
04 Subaru Legacy L SW Blue (Tyler)
06 Subaru Leg SE SW Silver
09 Subaru Forester X Prem Silver
10 Subaru Impreza Prem Silver (Tyler)

I like them and obviously I have soft spot for them. An Outback is a top three option as a replacement for the TDI. Yes they have quirks, woudl I like to still see a stick? Yeah, but Subie never really had a great stick in these cars. I think they are fitting a niche with the Outback and the XV.While I woudl like to see the Levorg and Legacy wagons offered here in the states, they would only sell dozens of them. Subaru has done a great job streamlining their offerings and that has helped them be profitable. When the Legacy was released back in 1990, there were 37 Legacy variations and I a sure there is less than half of that now combining both Legacy and Outback.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Love my Outback. 00 with 100k miles, 55k of which I put on it in the last 2 years. This thing has the weakest motor I've ever had in a vehicle but it handles off-road and snow like no other vehicle I've had.

How are the 00-06 Subies vs the newer generations? For as old as my car is, I really love it for skiing and I would have a hard time getting anything other than a Suby now.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Love my Outback. 00 with 100k miles, 55k of which I put on it in the last 2 years. This thing has the weakest motor I've ever had in a vehicle but it handles off-road and snow like no other vehicle I've had.

How are the 00-06 Subies vs the newer generations? For as old as my car is, I really love it for skiing and I would have a hard time getting anything other than a Suby now.
The 00-04 were my least favorite of all the OB's, not sure why, The 05-09 Legacy/OB were my favorite because of size and style. We are considering a 10-14 but they are going for stupid money, great for them, bad for me.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
2013 Outback..so far:
  • Hatch brake light water leak - was going to replace gasket with silicone but was less than finger tight so I just tightened it and am hoping for the best. Can't purchase just the gasket, $100 for the replacement light with gasket.
  • Hatch rattle when cold - no solution. Could adjust hatch I suppose
  • Hatch gas struts rusted fairly severely after 1 winter..still functional though
  • Excessively high steering effort at straight-ahead position
  • front brake pads prone to sticking due to corrosion in the caliper at the pad/caliper interface clip
  • I find the front window defrost isn't that great in very cold conditions
Otherwise, not bad. Solid snow car.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
There are only two Subie's in my world (OK, maybe 3 w/BRZ)
WRX and the STI.
First off, they are all getting mighty pudgy, BRZ is 2800# and needs a higher output engine @ this mass.
WRX, needs the 5 door hatch and a diet too. The STI needs an updated engine (still 2.5l) to compete with the
new Ford RS @ 350hp.

With only 5 more years left in my REX, I hope the situation improves before I need a replacement!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 00-04 were my least favorite of all the OB's, not sure why, The 05-09 Legacy/OB were my favorite because of size and style. We are considering a 10-14 but they are going for stupid money, great for them, bad for me.

It is hard to find slightly used Subarus too. It seems like people buy them new and get rid of them with 150k on the clock.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is hard to find slightly used Subarus too. It seems like people buy them new and get rid of them with 150k on the clock.
I am looking for that old couples car that trade every 3 years and the car has 16,000 miles on it.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I loved my 05 Outback up to about 100k, then it started costing a lot of money to maintain. Traded in for the VW at 120k.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I loved my 05 Outback up to about 100k, then it started costing a lot of money to maintain. Traded in for the VW at 120k.

Ya best case scenario is a timing belt at 100K, and really a no brainer to do all other belts and hoses at that point. Add in a transmission service, probably CV boots, struts too just for basic things that really should be done at that point and we're talking a lot of money to get it solid and sound to run another 100K.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Took it in for brakes at 50K miles less than a week after hearing the chirping and one of the rear rotors was already wrecked. Today at 71K it went back to the same Midas shop for brakes again. One rear pad was at zero (chirping) but the rest are fine?? Ether they put it on wrong or something odd is happening with that particular caliper.

Midas said there is a lot of rust on the rotors and that might be causing problems. Don't live in salt the roads country and get a thorough wash including under carriage when I return from the mountains or the beach. I don't use the brakes coming down much and prefer the manual shifting to slow down. Don't forget to take off the emergency brake either..
Sounds like a caliper sticking causing excess pad wear.

I had a completely frozen caliper on another vehicle and it caused uneven pad wear, well really no pad wear (wasn't making contact at all). Replaced it and everything normal again.

Rust on the rotors is normal, wears right off as soon as you start driving and use the brakes normally.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier

Drove our old 99 forester hard, tiny engine but very zippy. Did eventually change head gaskets and it ate CV boots like crazy but was solid beyond that until about 150k miles. Contrast with a slightly newer (I think 06) which the inlaws drive. It has had problem after problem.

Curious how the newer generations are holding up.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Drove our old 99 forester hard, tiny engine but very zippy. Did eventually change head gaskets and it ate CV boots like crazy but was solid beyond that until about 150k miles. Contrast with a slightly newer (I think 06) which the inlaws drive. It has had problem after problem.

Curious how the newer generations are holding up.

Yep, both CVs have already died and been replaced. Pretty horrible smell when they spray the grease onto the exhaust. Something between burning plastic and a dead animal. Hoping to avoid the head gasket issues but I wouldn't be surprised.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And just got a P0327 Knock Sensor code.. Reset it and will see if it comes back. They're fairly cheap though..

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I had a strut wear out on my 2016 Outback after only like 15k miles, but they replaced both front struts for free no hassle. Other than that I have had no problems and love the car so far. It's great in the snow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DSC00003.JPG

One of my favorite Subies.

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
What is that, a Legacy? I have one of those, a little different styling over here.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is that, a Legacy? I have one of those, a little different styling over here.
Yeah, 06 Legacy wagon. Really nothing special, Premium package, automatic but did get about 28MPG on the trips to VT.

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
Mine looks like this (2009), or did when it was new (which lasted about a week):
02470d4dbc327d49a97ed199619634cf.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online