• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All Things Gart Brothers

Gart Brothers Catalog
image.jpeg

I used to send away for a lot of catalogs and brochures as a kid.

Last edited:
TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that Sports Authority is going out of business, what is going to happen to the Gart Brothers Sports Castle in Denver (which I assume had become a Sports Authority Store)?

For me growing up that was the Mecca for ski gear.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If I heard right, the final closing will be only a few days before Sniagrab would have normally started.

That is a shame. To me the Gart Brothers Sports Castle was a Denver Landmark.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably way too big, but maybe evo could take it over!

I wondered about that, since they are literally just a block from Edgeworks. But I doubt it. I was just down there today, in fact.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
SKIING Dec 1975 Gart Brothers.jpg

SKIING Dec 1975

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's that time of year . . . or it used to be that time of year.
SKIING Sep 1977 Gart Brothers.jpg

SKIING Sep 1977

sjjohnston

Putting on skis
Skier
There's some controversy over the "Sniagrab" name. When I was a kid, the only one I was aware of was in Seattle, and was sponsored by Osborn & Ulland. By the '70s, it was more of a general event, rather than a store ski sale. It was held at the Seattle Center, with a big "ski swap" component to it.

Apparently, both O&U and Gart Brothers had their first Sniagrab in 1955. I'm not sure how they both got the same name for a sale at the same time of year of the same class of retail goods at the same time. An article I found online about the Gart brothers (the actual people) claims that Mickey Gart thought it up by turning upside a napkin with the words "bargains" written on it when he was 13 years old. Gart registered it as a trademark in 1976, claiming a first use in 1955. Interestingly, they apparently never attempted to stop O&U from using it every year over the following nearly-20 years (O&U went out of business in 1995).

According to Warren Miller, "In 1955, to kick off the ski season, Scott Osborn of the Osborn and Ulland Ski Shop in Seattle, wanted to get rid of a lot of worthless junk that hadn’t sold during the last five seasons. So, he held the world’s first discount ski sale. He called it Bargains spelled backwards, or Sniagrab, as it has come to be known. Half a dozen other ski shops have claimed to have invented the word, but because I was there at the time, I still give Scott credit for the idea."

Sponsor

Staff online