• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4SeasonAlpin - Doylestown PA

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not even a rolling carpet just a giant Skier's Edge?
Yeah, sort of... except it's motorized to try to give you the feel by shooting you back and forth based on your turns (more tipping and you move further and faster). There was a thread on here a while back when it was new, that discussed it a bit:

The biggest issue I have with it is that there's no turning of the feet - they stay pointing forward, which misses what (for me) was one of the hardest things learning - having your skis/feet pointed a different direction than your upper body. There's none of that with the simulator.

I think the rolling carpet is a better idea and likely works better, but doesn't have the VR/Technology/Video screen/Ooh-Aah factor.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^ on the up side, you don't have to have a person watching you to constantly adjust carpet speed/ tilt, and there's no airborne carpet dust to clean off of ...everything

...but you still get to figure out just how completely horrible your ski boots are at room temps.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were just one one of these in Utah, it is really good for working on upper body/lower body seperation. I really wish we had more than the 15 minutes that we had to spend on it. I do know that the US Ski Team has one at the Center of Excellence. We will have an article coming soon.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So Skier's Edge has an attachment called the BootMaster that essentially adds bindings to their platform so you can use it in your boots. Appreciate that not everyone loves these, but if you use proper form, it does give you a good workout and it works your muscles in a similar fashion to skiing. We have found that it really helps us get into ski shape in advance for the season. They claim to be the exclusive supplier to multiple national teams, though they no longer have those team logos on their website like they used to :)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, my experience with the Skier's Edge is that it actually created a bad habit for me...."pushing outward" when finishing the turn. Because there was not steering of the feet, I was pushing off at the end of the "turn" on the Skiers Edge and it translated to the snow. Took me a few weeks on snow with an instructor to fix it.

That said, a Skier's Edge with a binding attachment could be a great tool for assessing for boot fitting, or boot adjustments.
I would not have guessed that, in part because of my earlier comment on lack of foot/leg rotation.h

Sponsor

Staff online