• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2025 New England Gathering discussion

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Just a couple of thoughts-we've only been to two NEGs, so our opinion isn't as valid as some of the others but:

Out of the two, attendance was much greater at Killington than this year. I think the farther north it is, the fewer people from PA, NJ, MD etc. Even though Mid VT has been done, it makes a more centralized location. Haven't been to Stowe in many many years so it's attractive (assuming somewhat reasonable lift tickets are available), but Kevin and Erik can chime in with how much of a madhouse it's become.

One thought that crossed my mind (ducking) was the Adirondacks-Whiteface and Gore. Came to my senses-even though the skiing at Gore is good, there are few accommodations and restaurants. Whiteface can be great, but it can suck and the two are about 1.5 hours apart. OK, take that off the list.

Tremblant would be interesting, once again it's been a long time since we've been there. Quite a drive and I'm not sure how good it is for morning meetups-Jilly? IKON is a plus.

Thanks for your inputs... I agree with you that attendance and travel times are related; , I doubt we'd get much real enthusiasm for Tremblant or the Massif / St. Anne combo. We already had diminishing returns for the Eastern Townships, and the other, larger Quebec areas are a looonnnngggg way from where we just were.

Yeah, I am concerned about that. Nothing I have heard about the state of the Mountain Road and parking in the last few years had made me want to try to visit Stowe.

We could always combine Stowe with the Mad River Valley. Stowe on Thursday (and then you can just drive up to the lodge like you used to), Mad River on Friday, Sugarbush on the weekend? That way Stowe becomes a demo-day "add on / bonus".

It was mentioned above that SkiEssentials has a presence in Killington; I can inquire with Jeff regarding the possibility of holding a demo day at Killington instead.

Frankly, since they instituted the new parking system, I feel that the lift lines have gone down. Overall, my impression of the parking system is that it has improved the skiing experience. But Monday through Thursday is "free parking, everywhere", so we can leverage that schedule if the bus system is concerning.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I am concerned about that. Nothing I have heard about the state of the Mountain Road and parking in the last few years had made me want to try to visit Stowe.
When we were there two years ago we stayed in the condos by the Alchemist Brewery and never had any issues getting to, or parking close to the main lodge. But this was skiing Mon-Wed. So have no idea on weekend madhouse potential.
This was in mid February.
You also don’t need to buy 4 days - 1 non-peak day epic pass for the resort list that includes Stowe for next year is currently $85. I assume that price goes up as we approach the season?
Understand- just tossed that out as an idea as I would think it would be for multiple days of skiing at Stowe. But that mid tier does cover some great resorts out west as well. As for the price increase- I don't think that will change and should stay the same as it shows now. I think the purchase option ends in early December.
Next year we'll be getting the Ikon again, but we are not against going to Epic based resorts on the mid tier option.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugarbush or Stowe on a Saturday sounds crappy to me…even Mount Ellen. Stowe might be a madhouse on weekends these days but Sugarbush is not far behind.

I would be willing to spring for a 1 day Epic pass at Stowe if a demo day were available.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I pinged our friends at @SkiEssentials regarding the possibility of collaborating with them to have a private demo day; we would partner with the Ski Divas as well. Both external parties were receptive to the idea. What is the interest level in doing something along those lines with the realization that it means going to Stowe.
I think this is a great idea. A demo day makes a lot of sense for this group. As an Ikon pass holder, going to Stowe seems expensive, but its not that expensive if you get an Epic day ticket. I paid $88 for one day for this season. Prices may vary depending on what category you get, but you can buy as may day passes as you want. Spending a day at Mad River, Sugarbush, Bolton Valley, or even Jay or Smugglers would all be in play. Here is the URL for Epic Day passes for those interested in checking it out.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Diva East is March 2-5th, 2025.

(@Jenny - year end again!! This is standing joke between us...company year ends, no go anywhere!!)
Figures, doesn't it?

The Diva West dates are way more of a problem for me though - 1099s and W2s don't produce themselves! By early March I'm usually done with everything - harder for me when it crosses end of Feb/beginning of March.

Of course, all end of months cause an issue, too.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stowe in Jan and Feb weekends is where the bad rep comes from, and probably deserved. Kevin or Erik could comment from experience. In late March and especially a week day, I feel its a non-issue. Kevin's thoughts of different area's on different days appeals to me a lot, as all of them are very good mtn's to sk. I joined the Central Jersey Ski Club this year and its kind of an "Youth mature Hostel" that is not bad, and is very convenient to all those mtn's. Its not the Estrimont Resort in Magoog Canada, but the price is right and the members are nice.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stowe in Jan and Feb weekends is where the bad rep comes from, and probably deserved. Kevin or Erik could comment from experience. In late March and especially a week day, I feel its a non-issue.
It was so bad this past MONDAY that Kevin turned around and went home.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would pony up for some Epic day passes. I miss Stowe. Been at least 4 years since I skied there and the best NEG conditions I ever skied were there.

Classic line up: Stowe, MRG and da Bush?

James

Out There
Instructor
Killington will always get more people than anywhere else. It’s (not really) the Utah of the NEG. Plus that was the first post covid gathering, so there was two years of extensive marketing work to drum up business. As it was didn’t it go from 70-80 potential down to 40?

What was last year in Maine vs this year in Canada in number?

Frankly, I thought Jay plus townships were great. It’s different, the areas were good. The snow helped, but that helped Saddleback. Sugarloaf was not very great.

Le Massif/Mt Ste Anne I could get down for but you’d lose weekend only probably because it’s so far. Prob @Pumba would be up for it.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So is the NEG typically scheduled for just 3 days?
Then those who want more skiing stay around?

I'm hoping to be fully retired next year and I'm already planning a week or two in Vermont- most likely in Feb. But my plan would be to come up in later March for the NEG.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Le Massif/Mt Ste Anne I could get down for but you’d lose weekend only probably because it’s so far. Prob @Pumba would be up for it.
And me. It's closer than Whiteface. And Le Massif is the Top 5 eastern area that you've never been to. Really.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington will always get more people than anywhere else. It’s (not really) the Utah of the NEG. Plus that was the first post covid gathering, so there was two years of extensive marketing work to drum up business. As it was didn’t it go from 70-80 potential down to 40?

What was last year in Maine vs this year in Canada in number?

Frankly, I thought Jay plus townships were great. It’s different, the areas were good. The snow helped, but that helped Saddleback. Sugarloaf was not very great.

Glad you guys got the goods at Jay!

Absolutely awesome place with pow. Without it's meh at best. As I've written many times over the years: Jay Peak is hit or miss. I would be glad to guide there and I know where the snow will be best based on wind and aspect. I know the side country pretty well as well.

It's about an hour from Stowe and could be an option for a VT gathering.

James

Out There
Instructor
And me. It's closer than Whiteface. And Le Massif is the Top 5 eastern area that you've never been to. Really.
Stunning scenery.
I like how you just blew that guy off.

Yeah a place like that is special. Killington is just that local dive bar you keep going to because it’s there. just kidding, well not really, but Kton is great.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
To answer some questions and some thoughts
1. Tremblant on a weekend is a zoo. Sunday is better than Saturday. Saturday it's bus tour central.
2. There really isn't a base lodge, so meet up either at the top or outside near a lift. No real boot up area for non slope accommodations.
3. MSA - limited dining options on the mountain for dinners. But a lot quieter than Tremblant. And you could always take an extra day and tour around Quebec City. The Marriot was redone/redecorated a few years ago and is really nice now. Base lodge for boot up and meet up. And less expensive tickets for us old people if you're not on the right Epic pass.
4. Massif has a Club Med...:duck:

There may be flights to either Tremblant (yes, there is small airport) or Quebec City.

For either option, remember the exchange rate!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Massif has a Club Med
Could be perfect for a Gathering, actually. Price dependent.
I can hear the screams now, but it solves a lot of issues.
So is the NEG typically scheduled for just 3 days?
Then those who want more skiing stay around?
Pretty much. It’s super casual. There’s usually several who stay Monday. Some are only Sat/Sun.
But some integrate being at the places we’re at or nearby. One reason Kton is popular is there’s a bunch here who ski there normally.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sugarbush or Stowe on a Saturday sounds crappy to me…even Mount Ellen. Stowe might be a madhouse on weekends these days but Sugarbush is not far behind.

I would be willing to spring for a 1 day Epic pass at Stowe if a demo day were available.
I’ve skied Saturdays at Ellen between the seasonal program and it was ski onto the lift every time including presidents weekend. I’d think it’s a contender especially late season for a crowd that likes bumps.

Sponsor

Staff online