• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Xfinity Beaver Creek "Birds of Prey" --Live Updates

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Official FIS/VVF communication: After exceptional work on the hill all night, and due to the present weather situation this morning, with extremely heavy winds, together with the updated forecast, the Jury together with the Organizing Comittee have decided to cancel today’s men’s super G.

This is a unique situation for us in Vail/Beaver Creek. We have never had to cancel more than one race on a scheduled weekend of international racing … dating back as far as our records show.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. I guess it was expected. What a bummer for all involved :(

Reminds me of the Snowbasin World Cups in 2001: 1 training day, 4 days of snow removal, zero races.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
With Salt Lake on the posable Olympic horizon again, has there been any discussion of getting The Grizzly course back into the World Cup rotation? It would be an interesting way to expand the NA rotation.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With Salt Lake on the posable Olympic horizon again, has there been any discussion of getting The Grizzly course back into the World Cup rotation? It would be an interesting way to expand the NA rotation.

My guess is they'll have a World Cup or two there in the 2030-2033 timeframe, probably one for men on Grizzly and one for women on Widlflower.

FWIW, Snowbasin was quite keen to decommission the venue after the 2002 games as hosting a World Cup speed event can be super disruptive, especially during the time window they typically use for such events (late February to early March - Snowbasin would never be a candidate for a December speed event).

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My guess is they'll have a World Cup or two there in the 2030-2033 timeframe, probably one for men on Grizzly and one for women on Widlflower.

FWIW, Snowbasin was quite keen to decommission the venue after the 2002 games as hosting a World Cup speed event can be super disruptive, especially during the time window they typically use for such events (late February to early March - Snowbasin would never be a candidate for a December speed event).
IIRC, from a podcast or interview as recent as a few months ago the current GM now a VP stated that they have no interest in hosting race events at Snowbasin. Hope I am wrong & he is just playing hard to get.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC, from a podcast or interview as recent as a few months ago the current GM now a VP stated that they have no interest in hosting race events at Snowbasin. Hope I am wrong & he is just playing hard to get.

If that is the case then the only FIS homologation eligible mountain for a DH or SG would be Snowbird - and there’s not a chance in hell that such a move would be approved given the LCC watershed status.

Park City and Deer Valley lack the sustained vertical for DH - they might eke out a SG but not a DH.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
If that is the case then the only FIS homologation eligible mountain for a DH or SG would be Snowbird - and there’s not a chance in hell that such a move would be approved given the LCC watershed status.

Park City and Deer Valley lack the sustained vertical for DH - they might eke out a SG but not a DH.
Yup, We shall see :huh: . A lot can change in 10yrs.
Maybe Wasatch Peaks, they certainly look like they have the terrain.
Nordic Valley, even if they expand up to the ridge may not be enough.
l tend to think Snowbasin will come around & by then it could be a completely different management team. If they did it they would be almost starting from scratch. Much of the snowmaking & wiring in that area has been left to nature & the A-net tours were cut down years ago.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online