• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2023-2024 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't forget about way less snow, a shorter season, a lower base elevation, and a less favorable location relative to the Great Salt Lake for lake effect. I'm not trying to be critical of Sundance, as I've enjoyed the handful of days I've skied/snowboarded and worked at races there. Last season all northern Utah ski areas received insane amounts of snowfall and built very deep bases, yet Sundance ended up with total snowfall (in inches) that compared unfavorably to that received by the 4 CC resorts measuring well into the triple digits. Like @Wasatchman, I reside quite a distance from Sundance (high on the east bench between the CC canyons) and traveling on I-15 between the state's two most populous counties on storm days can be heinous. I did my share of that prior to retiring from my profession and would rather avoid reliving those memories. By the way, the 48-hour current storm totals as of early this morning for the 4 CC resorts range from 29" to 20", while the total for Sundance was 6". Furthermore, the CC resorts' seasonal snow totals currently range from 214% to 184% of Sundance's 250" total.
Agreed.

@Andy Mink Especially this time of year, elevation is key. Very nice refresh pow week setting up for the cottonwoods, but Sundance getting much less than half that, rain/snow line very low, and lot's of periods with forecasted 4-5/1 snow densities at Sundance. Cottonwoods forecasted to be in the blower density range.

Too bad, since I have three free tix to Sundance and it is a great place to avoid the crowds. I'll still likely go during a spring skiing day.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The news said they reported over 70 accidents yesterday. People simply going too fast for the conditions.

My #1 complaint about living in Utah is what I believe is reckless driving. In particular I avoid I-15 as much as I can.
I grew up in a place with lots of 3rd world immigrants who often drove vehicles barely worthy of the road let alone legal & many probably didn’t even have drivers licenses. They were pros compared to Utah.
Utah is full of newer $75k SUV’s & pickup trucks yet the turn indicators don’t seem to ever function, the lane assist & distance features obviously don‘t work as they spend most of their freeway time on each other’s tails. On the 2 lane roads they are either straddling the double yellow line or their wheels are on the shoulder.
Out of state friends come to visit & always point out that Utah drivers are the scariest & worst they’ve ever seen!
Has anyone else noticed how many wrong way drivers causing fatal accidents have been in the news lately?

Don't forget about way less snow, a shorter season, a lower base elevation, and a less favorable location relative to the Great Salt Lake for lake effect.
Everything you say about Sundance could be said about Snowbasin & Powder Mountain. Sure there are great days but the CC’S are really the reason Utah can claim “The Greatest Snow on Earth!” Those places are special!

A bit of a sleeper day in my neighborhood today. Even got to farm one of my favorite bowls for a few runs…
IMG_8402.jpeg

IMG_8406.jpeg

Snow changed quickly as soon as the sun appeared
IMG_8404.jpeg

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alta was great today. My experience with driving is that people are crazy aggressive on I-15 and exceedingly polite on the city streets.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But, something really, really needs to be done about the too frequent stupidity on the canyon roads. Too many cars up there that shouldn’t be up there based on road conditions. I saw numerous sedans in the snowbank in LCC yesterday. It was 4wd and snow tire conditions in many spots. Dunno if the restrictions were relaxed midday.

Apparently today, Monday, was worse for serious stuff.

I’ve seen many SUVs struggling the past two winters - prolly need stricter enforcement of tire standards. But that ain’t gunna happen.

Utah better be careful about killing the golden goose. It really is the best snow on earth - and about the best terrain on earth. But these road hassles are getting bad. Fortunately, the cottonwood slopes aren’t too crowded once you can hit them.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We saw 3 bad ones on the 15 before and after Nephi yesterday on I-15. One of them was a rollover from the South side of the freeway down the bank and took out a car driving on the north side. It was a big mess and added 2 hours to our drive! That said.. I see the same crap in SoCal mountains all the time.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Restrictions are only as good as the enforcement. If no one is checking, no one is stopping.

The Salt Lake Tribune had a story about the traction laws and the lack of enforcement. Law enforcement cites manpower (i.e. they can't spare the officers) and inconveniencing the public (i.e. bad publicity potential) as reasons why there isn't active enforcement at LCC and BCC (as well as Parley's, Weber, and other canyons - the laws apply there, too).

What the police did say is that people need to be smarter and also think of the weather later in the day: traction rules could be moot in the morning but necessary in the afternoon. Thus why you see folks in sports cars with summer rubber slipping and sliding going down canyon on days when the weather moves in around lunchtime.

Frankly it's unconscionable that locals don't use proper tires in the winter. I remember saving my lawn mowing money to buy a set of steel wheels with proper snow tires when I was a teenager in SLC. Did I get the most pricey ones? Nope, but they worked just fine for the winter. At least I'm finding that rental car agencies at the airport have gotten better about putting fresh tires on their fleets for the winter months, even if said tires aren't always the best-of-class in the all-season gene pool.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Zero enforcement going on . I've gotten the Cottonwoods sticker for my windshield the last few years (this requires you to get your vehicles tires inspected) and haven't had a single Police officer look at it.

Too many teenagers in moms mini van trying to make up two of the snowiest canyons in the world.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
26 Mar good snow low crowds at Snowbird, j @JohnL in action tigertail area
20240326_101433.jpg

Gad 2 area
20240326_094624.jpg

Snake pit gully below gad2
20240326_123032.jpg

20240326_123034.jpg

Outstanding trail surfaces today on and off piste. Stayed in Gad. Valley 9 am to 1pm.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
26 Mar good snow low crowds at Snowbird, j @JohnL in action tigertail area
View attachment 231073

Gad 2 area
View attachment 231074

Snake pit gully below gad2
View attachment 231087

View attachment 231088

Outstanding trail surfaces today on and off piste. Stayed in Gad. Valley 9 am to 1pm.
Great skiing with you today @Jim Kenney - first time all season I think.

Sweet sleeper ski day, between heavier snows. Snow was soft everywhere. Nice no rush day for a change.

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
Fun at Snowbasin today! Big thanks to @AmyPJ and her hubby, Bryce (whose tag I can’t remember). You folks have legs of steel! It was good fun and I found the weakness of the Fischer Ranger 84s…that would be me! Great day!
Glad you had a great day! I was going to see if I could connect with you and Amy.

Snowbasin was amazing on Wednesday. Soft snow, sunshine and amazing conditions on and off piste!

I was skiing with my sister who was in town for a quick visit. We were taking it easy. She is still building up confidence after a traumatic ski injury in 2022. (Sliding/sumersaulting 1000ft and breaking her leg in 2 places). Though we did accidentally have to ski an ungroomed run over on strawberry and she crushed it (in a good way). Talk about a confidence booster. It was such nice snow conditions all over the mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online