• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023/2024 Rustler 9 Review

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've liked the handful of skis I've owned over the few years, but I'm (still) loving the '24 R9s. I've found that they do like forward stance for ripping groomers and firm snow, but a more centered stance to pivot quickly through bumps and trees. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the R11s because the Moment Countachs seem to be calling... decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've liked the handful of skis I've owned over the few years, but I'm (still) loving the '24 R9s. I've found that they do like forward stance for ripping groomers and firm snow, but a more centered stance to pivot quickly through bumps and trees. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the R11s because the Moment Countachs seem to be calling... decisions, decisions.
I don't know much about that particular Moment ski.....but I know you won't be disappointed if you get the R11's. However it is fun to own skis from different manufacturers.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Add me to the Rustler 9 fan club. Just got 3 days on them in their “natural habitat” - 5-10 cm each day of light fresh snow, skied everything from powder to bumps to scraped off groomers with thin cover each day. They do everything well, and I really liked them in soft bumps. They let go easily to make quick transitions from bump to bump, plus I felt like they skied “skinnier” than their 96 width on groomers including one steep and scraped off run done in almost no visibility - I just had to trust that they’d grip and they did.

I’m on the 168s, which are roughly my height and feel like the right length for me.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Another fanboy here of the R9s. I just had them out for the first time in Park City. Loved them and was really pleased at how easy they were in the bumps. On groomers, I didn’t find a speed they weren’t good at.

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Can anyone who has skied the prior Rustler 9 version compare it to the 2024 version? I just got the new ones to replace my stolen 2022 R9s, which were my all-time absolute favorite skis, and I'm a little worried I'll be disappointed. I'm 5-10/150#. Thx!

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can anyone who has skied the prior Rustler 9 version compare it to the 2024 version? I just got the new ones to replace my stolen 2022 R9s, which were my all-time absolute favorite skis, and I'm a little worried I'll be disappointed. I'm 5-10/150#. Thx!
Highly doubt you’ll be disappointed. The new ones are a tad less “playful” but are more precise and stable, while remaining very pivoty though the bumps and trees.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the previous generation R9's at 94 underfoot. I love them and can't imagine the new ones being that much better. I did however talk a buddy into buying a pair of the new ones. I told him if he didn't like them I would take them off his hand at a negotiated price.

Guess what? He loves them!

Rick G

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you got them already, sounds like you'll be the one who will be telling us!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have new R11s, only took them out 1 day and outstanding.
I will comment to remind folks that one of the biggest changes for this gen is Trueblend to tune the core flex to length, when before the long lengths would be softer and the shorter lengths would be stiffer relative to reference.

So comparisons saying softer or stiffer vs last gen is also going to depend on the length they were coming from and going to. I'd expect people at the reference length should notice less difference in terms of the flex.

Last edited:

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have new R11s, only took them out 1 day and outstanding.
I will comment to remind folks that one of the biggest changes for this gen is Trueblend to tune the core flex to length, when before the long lengths would be softer and the shorter lengths would be stiffer relative to reference.

So comparisons saying softer or stiffer vs last gen is also going to depend on the length they were coming from and going to. I'd expect people at the reference length should notice less difference in terms of the flex.
Blister just posted their long review and deep dive for the R11s. I was torn between the R11s (180 vs 186), as well as the Monment Countachs. I ended up ordering up a pair of Countachs for a little more suspension and crud busting for when things get skied out. Curious what conditions you skied them in and what size you went with?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blister just posted their long review and deep dive for the R11s. I was torn between the R11s (180 vs 186), as well as the Monment Countachs. I ended up ordering up a pair of Countachs for a little more suspension and crud busting for when things get skied out. Curious what conditions you skied them in and what size you went with?
I'm intending to use these as pow skis, R11 174. I am 5'6" 155. My previous pow skis are 117 atomic Automatic 179.
I took them out at Palisades- Alpine Jan 9, which was reported 14" medium light powder, but probably less for most of Alpine side and all squished within 1Hour, so wasn't really in 3d snow or in the powder.
I haven't tried many skis 110+, so my ability to compare and number of pow day opportunities that I actually take out a pow ski is too few to do comparos.

My 1 sentence quick review though is I didn't notice the R11s at all. Meaning they did everything asked of them very natural and intuitively. While the "automatics" could go over everything so you could easily ski anything, they were too big or stiff so just so felt like I was just riding 2 planks no matter how good the snow was underneath.

Last edited:

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I have both, the previous version of the Rustler 9 and the new 2024 version.

I’ll agree with much of what others in this thread have said about the two versions. However, overall, I think the new version of the Rustler 9s are much more different than they are similar to the previous version.

I bought a pair of the previous Rustler 9s several years ago in 180cm. I’m 5’ 10”, 180 lbs, and am fortunate to ski 5 to 6+ days a week. (Home mountain: Palisades Tahoe). I liked the previous version of the R9s, but they skied noticeably short for me so I sold them and got a pair in 188cm. I found the 188cm to ski more like what I was expecting from the 180 cm. Don’t be afraid to size up with the Rustler line.

Overall, I found the previous version of the R9s to be a fun, playful ski that didn’t demand a lot of attention. But after a few times skiing them I began to wish Blizzard had extended the tapered center metal piece a few more inches in the tip and tail to give the ski a bit more stiffness.

I didn’t ski the R9s much last year, but got on them again a few weeks ago after foolishly putting core shots into two different pair of Stocklis. I forgot how much fun and playful the Rustler 9s were, but was quickly reminded of their soft tip and tail shortcomings. A few weeks ago I stumbled across the Ski Essentials review of the 2024 Rustler 9 and it peaked my interested in the new version. After watching and reading several other reviews I purchased a pair in 186cm.

For me, as mentioned above, the new Rustler 9s are more different, in some ways much more different, than they are similar to the previous R9s. The new R9s are noticeably stiffer, especially in the tip, but in a good way. However, they lose a bit playfulness of the older model, especially at slower speeds. But after skiing them in just about every condition Tahoe is known for over the past week or so I came away smiling. I always felt the older version of the Rustler 9s were a great ski for a strong intermediate/advanced skier, or an expert skier that knew they weren’t going to spend the day pushing it. The new R9s demand more attention, feel more directional, rip when you lay them on edge, cut through crud much, much better and are way more comfortable at speed. For me, stability at speed was one of the major noticeable differences. And although they’re wider than the previous model they feel a bit quicker edge to edge.

I think the previous Rustler 9 is a a really fun ski and if the characteristics of that ski appeal to you I would definitely take advantage of any deals you can get on the older model. If you already have a pair of the previous Rustler 9s and are looking to replace them don’t expect that you’re going to get the same ski if you decide to go with the 2024 model.

For reference here’s my current quiver:

Head E-SL (165 cm)
Blizzard WRC (180 cm)
Stockli SX (181 cm)
Stockli Laser AX (175 cm)
Stockli Montero AR (180 cm)
Stockli Stormrider 95 (182 cm)
Blizzard Rustler 9 (188 cm) Previous version
Blizzard Rustler 9 (186 cm) 2024 model
Blizzard Rustler 10 (188 cm) Previous version
Blizzard Hustle 11 (188 cm)

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier

I’ll agree with much of what others in this thread have said about the two versions. However, overall, I think the new version of the Rustler 9s are much more different than they are similar to the previous version.

I bought a pair of the previous Rustler 9s several years ago in 180cm. I’m 5’ 10”, 180 lbs, and am fortunate to ski 5 to 6+ days a week. (Home mountain: Palisades Tahoe). I liked the previous version of the R9s, but they skied noticeably short for me so I sold them and got a pair in 188cm. I found the 188cm to ski more like what I was expecting from the 180 cm. Don’t be afraid to size up with the Rustler line.

Overall, I found the previous version of the R9s to be a fun, playful ski that didn’t demand a lot of attention. But after a few times skiing them I began to wish Blizzard had extended the tapered center metal piece a few more inches in the tip and tail to give the ski a bit more stiffness.

I didn’t ski the R9s much last year, but got on them again a few weeks ago after foolishly putting core shots into two different pair of Stocklis. I forgot how much fun and playful the Rustler 9s were, but was quickly reminded of their soft tip and tail shortcomings. A few weeks ago I stumbled across the Ski Essentials review of the 2024 Rustler 9 and it peaked my interested in the new version. After watching and reading several other reviews I purchased a pair in 186cm.

For me, as mentioned above, the new Rustler 9s are more different, in some ways much more different, than they are similar to the previous R9s. The new R9s are noticeably stiffer, especially in the tip, but in a good way. However, they lose a bit playfulness of the older model, especially at slower speeds. But after skiing them in just about every condition Tahoe is known for over the past week or so I came away smiling. I always felt the older version of the Rustler 9s were a great ski for a strong intermediate/advanced skier, or an expert skier that knew they weren’t going to spend the day pushing it. The new R9s demand more attention, feel more directional, rip when you lay them on edge, cut through crud much, much better and are way more comfortable at speed. For me, stability at speed was one of the major noticeable differences. And although they’re wider than the previous model they feel a bit quicker edge to edge.

I think the previous Rustler 9 is a a really fun ski and if the characteristics of that ski appeal to you I would definitely take advantage of any deals you can get on the older model. If you already have a pair of the previous Rustler 9s and are looking to replace them don’t expect that you’re going to get the same ski if you decide to go with the 2024 model.

Head E-SL (165 cm)
Blizzard WRC (180 cm)
Stockli SX (181 cm)
Thanks. I already purchased the 2024 R9s to replace the stolen 2021s; couldn't find any used or NOS R9s so I went with the new ones. I really liked the old ones for what I like to ski (off-piste mostly) and would carve really well when I wanted to on trail- a really really fun ski. I'm trying the replacements out this weekend...we'll see.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier

Head E-SL (165 cm)
Blizzard WRC (180 cm)
Stockli SX (181 cm)
Being 5'8" 150 upper int/adv I'm used to the Blizzard Bushwhacker. Very little metal, light and playful at 88. If you have knowledge, would this be too much overlap with the pre 24 Rustler 9?

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I forgot to add in my original post that I think a "Rustler 8", with the new 2024 Rustler characteristics, something in the mid to high 80cm under foot, would be a really fun ski.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I forgot to add in my original post that I think a "Rustler 8", with the new 2024 Rustler characteristics, something in the mid to high 80cm under foot, would be a really fun ski.
Like the Bushwacker :)

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had both the bushwhacker and the rustler 9. They are not really similar imo. Bushwhacker is a Brahma without metal for beginner/intermediate. The rustler is easy to ski and better in all aspect. Better edge old, higher speed limit…

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had both the bushwhacker and the rustler 9. They are not really similar imo. Bushwhacker is a Brahma without metal for beginner/intermediate. The rustler is easy to ski and better in all aspect. Better edge old, higher speed limit…
Thanks

Sponsor

Staff online